Enemy Within Discovery Thread

Krazyguy75

Hate to ask an unrelated question, but what program do you use to view those? I'm trying to poke around myself and experiment but while I can extrat the upk the rest is kinda not workin' so hot.

Talking about files like "XGTechTree.BuildGeneTechs"

I use UE Explorer http://eliotvu.com/portfolio/view/21/ue-explorer to view the decompressed code and HxD http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ to do my hex editing.

XGTechTree.BuildGeneTechs is a Class.Function coupling, which I use gold for. If there's anything else that's gold but doesn't have a . in it, then it's a function inside the most recently mentioned class. m_iMeldAwardedPerContainer is turquoise, which is for variables. XComGame.upk is dark orange, for packages/files. You know, if any of that helps someone out with navigating that post.

fardriel, thanks, I know how to prevent phoning home. Wrote this for those who having troubles with changing ini-files. I'm not trying to mod the game now, I'm trying to make it work, because it doesn't work properly for me. And this is really frustrating. Anyway, EW uses different update server, you can see it in the log:

prod.xcom-ew.firaxis.com

Oh, heh, whoops! Apparently my game has been phoning home, then... and I haven't had a single crash yet. That's odd.

Also odd is the fact that it's downloading XComGameCore.ini. I was under the assumption that it *built* that based on DefaultGameCore.ini, not downloaded it. I was also under the assumption that the game didn't even read from it unless you patched your executable to do so. Have you tried deleting/renaming your current XCGC, then running/downloading again to see if it might be a problem with the specific file it's writing to?

PS Side note: while trying to resolve CTD issues, I've performed the same actions over and over again and noticed that outcomes of my actions weren't always the same. I'm not using Save Scum option, but even if all my actions all the same, I, for example, may or may not hit an alien after loading the save. May be it has something to do with saves corruption, I'm not sure yet.

That seems rather odd. If you definitely don't have Save Scum on, then the array storing the pRNG values might've gotten corrupted in that save file. Does the game run okay if you make a new game?

Edited by fardriel

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to prevent phoning home using new ip and this resulted in game freeze while tying to load user setting in main menu.

What I noticed is that Steam constantly tries to re-download XComEW.exe. I did a quick virus scan and found nothing. Then I disabled Steam auto-update without disallowing an update server ip in hosts file and had no crashes since then.

Can anyone provide md5 sum of XComEW.exe?

I tried to prevent phoning home using new ip and this resulted in game freeze while tying to load user setting in main menu.

What I noticed is that Steam constantly tries to re-download XComEW.exe. I did a quick virus scan and found nothing. Then I disabled Steam auto-update without disallowing an update server ip in hosts file and had no crashes since then.

Can anyone provide md5 sum of XComEW.exe?

7475c2e1bf1519b75ff2080d7fa6242e

Thanks!

Mine has

60e09fe40a2b84ed71af07fea508bfb9

but still works. :smile: Wow! Don't have any mods, or anything. Well, seems I have to run a complete system check.

Sorry for a little off-topics.

UPD: three different numbers. This is getting interesting. :smile: Using md5deep, but this should be pretty standard calculations...

UPD: this IS interesting. Check my cash again, Steam re-downloaded exe again and now a got this number:

99160131692822d214bc0f5a84138023

UPD: As far as I can remember md5 sum is not affected by file name or date, it's calculated from file contents only. Each time I run cash verification with Steam it immediately removes my XComEW.exe and starts re-downloading it. After verification it says everything OK, but it is obviously not, since Steam re-downloads something. And after each re-download I get a different md5sum of XComEW.exe. Either I don't understand something, or something is wrong with verification process.

Edited by wghost81

Thanks!

Mine has

60e09fe40a2b84ed71af07fea508bfb9

but still works. :smile: Wow! Don't have any mods, or anything. Well, seems I have to run a complete system check.

Sorry for a little off-topics.

UPD: three different numbers. This is getting interesting. :smile: Using md5deep, but this should be pretty standard calculations...

UPD: this IS interesting. Check my cash again, Steam re-downloaded exe again and now a got this number:

99160131692822d214bc0f5a84138023

UPD: As far as I can remember md5 sum is not affected by file name or date, it's calculated from file contents only. Each time I run cash verification with Steam it immediately removes my XComEW.exe and starts re-downloading it. After verification it says everything OK, but it is obviously not, since Steam re-downloads something. And after each re-download I get a different md5sum of XComEW.exe. Either I don't understand something, or something is wrong with verification process.

Bertilsson and I had different MD5s, too. I gave the MD5 of my original, unmodified exe, and I don't know if he did, too, but it seems like there's something else involved.

As long as the game runs fine when you turn off automatic updates, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can always just re-enable them when a patch comes out and then disable them again. That's how I've been running XCOM since I got it.

Bertilsson and I had different MD5s, too. I gave the MD5 of my original, unmodified exe, and I don't know if he did, too, but it seems like there's something else involved.

As long as the game runs fine when you turn off automatic updates, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can always just re-enable them when a patch comes out and then disable them again. That's how I've been running XCOM since I got it.

Yes, I've noticed that and that's when I wrote about 3 different hashes and started experimenting with Steam cash verification. I'm sorry, if I sometimes do not express myself clearly: my english is not very good.

I was just wondering if this can be related to Resource Hacker issues. Anyway, this needs clarification and I wrote a bugreport about this at 2K forums.

Edited by wghost81

The creator of the mercilessless mod for XCom EU reported issues with personalized .exe file a long time back so maybe the explanation is that no one has identical check sum for the .exe in EU or EW.

I had weird behaviour several months back with XCOM EU always downloading 1 file every time I verified (even when re-verifying imediately after). The issue was solved by completely removing all files in both Steam\common and My Games folder and I never investigated it further and I don't know which file was "broken".

I have now updated the Reverse enum lookup tool to include Enemy Within enums.

http://hem.bredband.net/bertrich/XCOM/ReverseLookup.htm

For anyone unfamiliar with the tool it is used for figuring out which number corresponds to which weapon type, etc.

Example:

0 ShotType_Normal ShotType 
1 ShotType_Miss ShotType 
2 ShotType_Suppress ShotType 
3 ShotType_Grenade ShotType 
4 ShotType_Launcher ShotType 
5 ShotType_MAX ShotType 

Not sure how difficult it would be, but would it be possible to add a selector for the EU enums vs the EW enums?

I'm pretty sure JL and my first LW task will be updating for EU, and having access to the EU enums would be helpful still :smile:

Edit: Oh, wait, I see that you have both of them in the same table! Disregard previous request, this works perfectly well.

Edited by Amineri