Is it possible ...

pepperman35

... to create a "real" security monitoring system in the game. For example, have a game camera affixed to a modeled security camera (input) and the output (video steam) being displayed on a terminal or monitor someplace else. I thought I say a mod along these lines years ago, but a search didn't reveal anything close. Probably not possible, but then again you guy and gals are super creative and talented.

AFAIK the Creation Club mod will technically simply teleport you to the cell you are monitoring, applying a Camera/ImageSpace/BW ImageSpaceMod while freezing you in place staring into the monitor. I was disappointed. What I'd really like is being able to remain in the same cell while having monitors displaying what's happening in monitored cells from any angle I want regardless of my movements and actions in current cell. I suppose that would be tons of work for the game engine and most likely impossible.

I've been hoping for a feature like this for an eternity as well, but it seems that it's not that trivial to implement. What I did for my mod is - although it's not in real time, lol - I took several screenshots of the rooms I want to show and then let my screens switch between those pictures. It at least gives the illusion of a working camera system, although one that doesn't detect changes.

Thanks for the input, looks like I was right and other tried to reverse engineer this as well. Like I said you all a creative lot to be sure. I watched a number of youtube vids, and it seems the mod itself had some issues (e.g., time). Oxhorn's vid went through it in detail. I suspect that some of that may be script related, and unknown to me if it got resolved.

Edited by pepperman35

Any animations for screens are presented as uv animations. A 3D image cannot be rendered in 2D in real time, nor can it be projected onto a plane. My thoughts are... 1. It's possible to record a static game event and synchronize the uv animation sequence with that event in the game... 2. bsEffectFx has settings to "shine through" opaque objects. Like looking through walls. And at the same time, bsEffectFx can contain uv animation. For example, noise animation, or pixels. The downside is that it looks more like a weird magnifying glass than a monitor. What you see on such a "screen" depends only on the angle of view.3. havok animation from the 1st person. You use some piece of furniture (monitor) and the camera moves to the place where it is physically idle. It's real, but it doesn't look like a monitor. Perhaps you can make some kind of hud mode for such an animation (a texture with an alpha channel that imitates the screen, probably with uv animation), but I have no idea how to run such a hud synchronously with the animation from the 1st person. It's probably not difficult, but I don't know exactly how.

To render full models and animations objects have to be in loaded cells, else its just pregenerated static LOD.

The game default uGridsToLoad is 5 for a 10k game unit radius around the player for all objects (fade out is buffered to be higher).

I have run games up to 25 ugrids or 51k game unit radius around the player with "tuning".

Loading the whole 200,000 game unit radius commonwealth map may be technically POSSIBLE but for anything to actually happen in it is impractical.

The game engine has zero facility for loading multiple active areas.

To find/map non persistent objects in the commownealth I use test scripts that hop the player in uGridsToLoad XY increments so the objects load to be findable.