Bethesda.net Mods is revising its port rules, we would like your feedback.

Cartogriffi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to thank everyone who has responded, it has been extremely helpful to get everyone's opinions.

We're narrowing our focus this week, and have a specific question we're looking into. I touched on this earlier and some have already answered, but just to shine the spotlight on it here:

When permissions are contradictory, should we prioritize the permissions as written on the mod, or unverified discussion via PM or Discord?

For the purposes of this question, "written on the mod" can refer to the description, mod comments, or permission tab. We also accept explicit comments may be provided as exceptions to any general permissions.

I wanted to thank everyone who has responded, it has been extremely helpful to get everyone's opinions.

We're narrowing our focus this week, and have a specific question we're looking into. I touched on this earlier and some have already answered, but just to shine the spotlight on it here:

When permissions are contradictory, should we prioritize the permissions as written on the mod, or unverified discussion via PM or Discord?

Depends on what we mean by "written on the mod page". There's a massive amount of mod authors who skip setting proper permissions, so I wouldn't call the preset Permission Box "written". If the mod author has actually written something on the permission tab or the mod page, I think that should always take presedence.

If the idea was to improve the reputation of the platform, unverified PM screenshots shouldn't be counted. There will always be lots of people who think the screenshots are faked.

Depends on what we mean by "written on the mod page". There's a massive amount of mod authors who skip setting proper permissions, so I wouldn't call the preset Permission Box "written". If the mod author has actually written something on the permission tab or the mod page, I think that should always take presedence.

If the idea was to improve the reputation of the platform, unverified PM screenshots shouldn't be counted. There will always be lots of people who think the screenshots are faked.

Excellent point. For this question, anything provided by the mod author on the mod page would count as "written on the mod," including the permissions tab.

However, we do prioritize explicit author statements in the description/comments above the permissions tab.

I'll edit my post to clarify, thank you!

Excellent point. For this question, anything provided by the mod author on the mod page would count as "written on the mod," including the permissions tab.

However, we do prioritize explicit author statements in the description/comments above the permissions tab.

I'll edit my post to clarify, thank you!

A fair few authors don't fill out the permissions tab..... and it defaults to very closed permissions... I would think a PM authorization would take precedence over permissions on the page......

A fair few authors don't fill out the permissions tab..... and it defaults to very closed permissions... I would think a PM authorization would take precedence over permissions on the page......

My concern with unverified PMs is it effectively means that any port displaying permissions is immune from takedowns barring a DMCA request.

This is very close to the situation we had at launch, and the end result were a lot of mod authors unhappy about theft on the platform, but also refusing to submit DMCAs. And in many ways, this led to the lasting reputation that Bethesda.net Mods is full of stolen content.

Among mod authors, opinions have been decidedly mixed on our proposal. And those raising concerns have been especially concerned about older titles.

What if we continued to accept screenshot perms for mods listed with "ask for approval" and the like?

This doesn't help with the default very closed permissions, but it may be a viable middle ground.

Guest deleted34304850

My concern with unverified PMs is it effectively means that any port displaying permissions is immune from takedowns barring a DMCA request.

This is very close to the situation we had at launch, and the end result were a lot of mod authors unhappy about theft on the platform, but also refusing to submit DMCAs. And in many ways, this led to the lasting reputation that Bethesda.net Mods is full of stolen content.

but surely bethesda didn't help themselves along, not one bit - because they made it so difficult for mod authors who were victims of very obvious theft, to rectify the situation. was it not true that many mod authors who saw their work stolen were banned off the platform, when their frustration with bethesda intransegence hit a limit?

the reputation of the platform exists because bethesda failed spectacularly to change it. what was it that bethesda chased when they started their platform up? i'm sure it wasn't infamy.