⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Bad Acting vs Bad Writing

JediMasterTallyn

I'll put it in different terms, these movies are portrayed as taking place in the world we live in, not a fantasy world, so when I see people or vehicles disobeying the physics of the real world, the entire movie becomes detached from reality and spoiled. Marvel movies are not set in the real world, they are in a fantasy setting, therefore when the laws of physics are defied in this setting, I am able to suspend reality and not scream 'What a crock! Cars don't do that! or 'he should be dead standing still in that hail of gunfire!'.

https://youtu.be/P2TA9coGLzM

Maybe not according to someone who took the time to research it some Stormtroopers for example are more accurate than modern militaries. So maybe it should be, How can they be that accurate when humans that train everyday are not?

Fiction; movies, books, tv, or comics; requires a certain amount of "suspension of disbelief", I have honestly never looked at something and been like "that can't happen in real life." I usually just appreciate the cool stunt and move one enjoying the story.

But stop and consider this every stunt performed in most television shows, and movies especially before green screening became mainstream was performed by real people.

Sometimes you do in fact roll the nat 20 reflex check and beat physics, reality and common sense in a way that makes the rest of us go "wait, what?"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use any payed streaming service anymore, just the free one's now, as well as free to air (Australian free to air is transmitted from the 666th layer of the abyss by a band of greed demons) but anyway, I was a fan of Godzilla as a tyke and was semi excited to see the premiere of Godzilla: King of monsters on free to air TV, just now. The previous 'modern' one was a huge letdown so I thought maybe they'll do better this time?

No, just as bad, in fact, worse

- Far too much concentration of mum/dad/daughter issues, we don't need this in a monster movie

- Once again, as in the previous try, far too few monster fights

- ALL, EVERY SINGLE battle was a night scene, in darkness, with quick flashy seizure inducing scenes, the first one done this as well, oh and they added pouring rain for good measure this time to obscure it even further

- Note the title, yet Godzilla had his bum handed to him, gift wrapped even, right until the last minute

- One scene showed a map of the world with dots everywhere, each dot representing a monster but the only monsters actually shown were Godzilla, Mothra, Giddorah, a fire turkey thing I forget the name of and a couple of very short scenes of 2 arachnid sorta things and a bipedal mammoth thing, Kong got a 3 second appearance on a clip the characters watched

- For this day and age, the CGI monsters looked POX, I expect better, after things like Lord of the Rings and Avengers showed us how it's done

Summary - A big steaming pile of poo, 0 out of 10, the old Japanese one's with the fellow in the rubber suit are better even.

POX? Not familiar with the term, would like to be, tho :wink:

Generally speaking those really dark action scenes are 1 of 2 things. Neither Good. Either the production staff think that it would make things more "dramatic". Or the Production quality SUCKS, and they're trying to hide flaws. (Most common).

I too was a Godzilla fan as a kid. Growing up, I've come to realize that they make it way too much about the human actors, and not the monsters. One of the failings in the pretty much the entire Predator Series, after #2. (the Danny Glover movie).

I understand, when the first 2 were set out, the monsters were as plot content/antagonist. But when you make movies with them as the spotlight. And then focus more on what should be the supporting cast... it's poor.

AvP 2 also comes back to the crappy dark action scenes. Pretty much anything involving either of the monsters, was too darn dark to be able to see what's really going on. The plot of that one had a major failing as well. I mean... they both got nuked. And then the story had to go along without them. That was poor writing that was poster child worthy!

Ofcourse it gravitates to "i like this movie, but not this movie", and an objective view, one where the creators itself even intended, and admited, to bad writing, just goes over your head cause you either haven't seen it, or revisiting childhood memories is too much of a temptation.

Pox - any of several viral diseases producing a rash of pimples that become pus-filled and leave pockmarks on healing is the official meaning but it's an old Aussie term to describe something as "absolute shite", lol. :)

This is mainstream now, the main story becomes just a backdrop to the characters lives, the absolute worst of the worst for this is War of the Worlds, the one with Tom Cruise, solely focusing on the trials and tribulations of his family, almost turned it into 'Days of our Lives'

< prune >

As an alternative, consider the following.

Every show has a target audience, a "market share", and a "fan base". Writers must balance their writing to attract the target audience, to keep the shows market share, and increase the show's fan base. Make a show too highbrow, and the audience thinks the show is talking down to them. Make a show too "politically correct" and the audience thinks the show is preachy. Make the show to realistic, and audience thinks the stories are overwrought.

To achieve such balance, writers write to the lowest common denominator. The least among the viewing public. And that they succeed is demonstrated in the fact that the audience keeps coming back, and advertisers keep buying air time on the shows.

All very true, but when did making you think become insulting? Are we so sensitive now that if we have to research a little bit to understand something we are insulted? Instead we want to be spoon fed everything like "bad fan-fiction"?

And do any of us really honestly care what the actors writers directors or producers political whatever is?

Or are you more like me; because these are my thoughts when I hear some actor/singer/athlete try and tell me how great X politician is.

"I could honestly care less I pay for your stuff to be entertained, if I wanted wrong opinions I would watch the news. Now dance or something entertain me."

Most people do want to be spoon fed. Thinking is hard. It requires people to abandon their preconceptions, see past their biases, and to allow new information and ideas to percolate into the process. The overwhelming majority are too wedded to their opinions to allow any of that to happen. Want proof, read this forum.

As for caring about the writers and producers politics, how many shows (and even networks) have been boycotted because the main character was gay, or because the lead couple had vastly different levels of melanin, or for some other perceived "woke agenda"? Naiveté is not becoming, so stop it.

The reality is that most audiences want to hear their beliefs, their opinions, their biases and their prejudices coming from the lips of the actors. They don't want to stretch their intellect nor to hear anything new or different. They want their echo chamber. Why do you think Fox News is so popular?

Pox - any of several viral diseases producing a rash of pimples that become pus-filled and leave pockmarks on healing is the official meaning but it's an old Aussie term to describe something as "absolute shite", lol. :smile:

This is mainstream now, the main story becomes just a backdrop to the characters lives, the absolute worst of the worst for this is War of the Worlds, the one with Tom Cruise, solely focusing on the trials and tribulations of his family, almost turned it into 'Days of our Lives'

Ahhhhh, ok. I thought maybe this was one of the new abbreviated terms that has sprung up from nowhere. Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:

< prune >

Every show has a target audience, a "market share", and a "fan base". Writers must balance their writing to attract the target audience, to keep the shows market share, and increase the show's fan base. Make a show too highbrow, and the audience thinks the show is talking down to them. Make a show too "politically correct" and the audience thinks the show is preachy. Make the show to realistic, and audience thinks the stories are overwrought.

To achieve such balance, writers write to the lowest common denominator. The least among the viewing public. And that they succeed is demonstrated in the fact that the audience keeps coming back, and advertisers keep buying air time on the shows.

All very true, but when did making you think become insulting? Are we so sensitive now that if we have to research a little bit to understand something we are insulted? Instead we want to be spoon fed everything like "bad fan-fiction"?

And do any of us really honestly care what the actors writers directors or producers political whatever is?

Or are you more like me; because these are my thoughts when I hear some actor/singer/athlete try and tell me how great X politician is.

"I could honestly care less I pay for your stuff to be entertained, if I wanted wrong opinions I would watch the news. Now dance or something entertain me."

Most people do want to be spoon fed. Thinking is hard. It requires people to abandon their preconceptions, see past their biases, and to allow new information and ideas to percolate into the process. The overwhelming majority are too wedded to their opinions to allow any of that to happen. Want proof, read this forum.

As for caring about the writers and producers politics, how many shows (and even networks) have been boycotted because the main character was gay, or because the lead couple had vastly different levels of melanin, or for some other perceived "woke agenda"? Naiveté is not becoming, so stop it.

The reality is that most audiences want to hear their beliefs, their opinions, their biases and their prejudices coming from the lips of the actors. They don't want to stretch their intellect nor to hear anything new or different. They want their echo chamber. Why do you think Fox News is so popular?

If you're being sarcastic, or snarky... then I agree with you.

If you think this is reality... then I gotta say that you're running around with the wrong people. Critical thinking is a requirement. Free thinkers are a must.

But then, this comes from an anarchist who grew up in the "Show Me State" where we have to see it to believe it. And groups that believe that anybody who just believe something blindly are just sheep for the meat grinder.

The kind of people that you're describing... seriously need to get out of that bubble, and start seeing their world through their own eyes, make their own decisions, and accept consequences for their own choices.

Pox - any of several viral diseases producing a rash of pimples that become pus-filled and leave pockmarks on healing is the official meaning but it's an old Aussie term to describe something as "absolute shite", lol. :smile:

Ahhhhh, ok. I thought maybe this was one of the new abbreviated terms that has sprung up from nowhere. Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:

< prune >

If you think this is reality... then I gotta say that you're running around with the wrong people. Critical thinking is a requirement. Free thinkers are a must.

But then, this comes from an anarchist who grew up in the "Show Me State" where we have to see it to believe it. And groups that believe that anybody who just believe something blindly are just sheep for the meat grinder.

The kind of people that you're describing... seriously need to get out of that bubble, and start seeing their world through their own eyes, make their own decisions, and accept consequences for their own choices.

Trouble is, they don't WANT to. They are comfy in their little bubble, where only their beliefs are valid...... and accept consequences of their actions??? C'mon man, this is the 21st century, where no one is responsible for their own actions. It is always someone elses fault..... Society, bad parenting, bullied at school, etc.

< prune >

We are not talking about the people I associate with, but with the audience that suckles the crap which spews forth from the monocular plug drug. They don't know critical think, nor do they want to know critical thinking. Like I said, thinking is hard work, and they want none of it.

<snip>Trouble is, they don't WANT to. They are comfy in their little bubble, where only their beliefs are valid...... and accept consequences of their actions??? C'mon man, this is the 21st century, where no one is responsible for their own actions. It is always someone elses fault..... Society, bad parenting, bullied at school, etc.

There's the ones that don't want to. And then there's the ones that are broken pottery to the point that they fall apart, outside of it or when reality pops that bubble.

There's always been a serious aspect of passing the buck. But yeah.

And now, it's ok to do wrong, because somebody else did something worse (in their opinion) than what they did.

<snip> We are not talking about the people I associate with, but with the audience that suckles the crap which spews forth from the monocular plug drug. They don't know critical think, nor do they want to know critical thinking. Like I said, thinking is hard work, and they want none of it.

Ok, so you're being sarcastic. In that case, then yeah... we agree.

These types are literally in every sense of the term, being turned into sheep. Follow the goat, and don't think. Do what the goat says, and don't think. The goat knows what is right and wrong, and the goat will tell you so that you don't have to decide. Trust everything to the goat. Be the herd. The goat protects the herd.

These types always flock together. Because they don't want to be around anything/anybody that is different. That's why I said you need to be around different people, if you were being genuine.

One other thing you'd said, Scythe. They don't know critical think, and they don't want to.

"All the better to make you my perfect little tool. Now get back in line and hop, my good little slave". That's the end goal of all these little bubble societies.