Bad Acting vs Bad Writing

JediMasterTallyn

Daft sounds even better with the Brit accent, I love their accent, (maybe not so much the 'cockney' version :smile:) there's a TV show called 'Air Crash Investigations' that I will sometimes watch just for the commentators voice, perfect pronunciation of every word with a neutral accent, dude's like music to your ears :smile: he doesn't sound Brit (although I would guess he is) Aus or American. Aus accent is no good, especially the 'occa' version :smile: I find it amusing that if an Aussie or Brit is speaking on American TV they are given subtitles :smile: It's even more amusing when movie aliens from another planet all have American accents :D and every non American actor in an American movie is made to fake their accent :smile: Hugh Jackman sounds as Aussie as I do, the only exception I know of is Jason Statham, dude probably couldn't nail it :D

And to think, we all (supposedly) speak English. HA! Americans speak 'murican, Aussies speak 'strine, Canadians speak canuck, and the Brits speak in rhyming slang. We have all bastardized the language to the point we are; as George Bernard Shaw pointed out, "nations separated by a common language".

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cropped

And to think, we all (supposedly) speak English. HA! Americans speak 'murican, Aussies speak 'strine, Canadians speak canuck, and the Brits speak in rhyming slang. We have all bastardized the language to the point we are; as George Bernard Shaw pointed out, "nations separated by a common language".

We actually call it 'strayan' :D When we say Australia, it sounds like 'Straya' :smile: I will phonetically type a sentence... G'day, ow ya gowen mate, c um n av a beer wiv mi (needed to put a space between the c and um cause it censored it) LOL :D

Cropped

We actually call it 'strayan' :D When we say Australia, it sounds like 'Straya' :smile: I will phonetically type a sentence... G'day, ow ya gowen mate, c um n av a beer wiv mi (needed to put a space between the c and um cause it censored it) LOL :D

When I was in Darwin in the very early 1970s, it sounded more like 'strine than 'strayan. But that could just be my ear and my fading memory. :D

Cropped

It depends on who you heard back then, we have variations in accent as the U.S. does, for example with 'me', there are 3 variations, 'me', 'mi' or 'moi' :D LOL. I would say strine pairs with moi variation :D

There's also the Irish. Particularly those who have a heavy Gaelic accent. I'm not even gonna try to type out what some of them are saying, cuz the accent and slang is so thick it doesn't reach to my brain to understand it!

(We had a very, very popular Irish Pub in my hometown. A lot of the circuit performers made their rounds thru our town. So yeah, got to hear a lot of that.)

Thats not a complaint or anything. Just another example of how the same language can sound oh so much different.

HAHAHA and there's the stereotypical American.

"G'on gedoudda heyah!" "Go on, get out of here!" (Think of the accent that Val Kilner used playing Doc Holiday in Tombstone).

Or that really, really old "You little whipper-snapper!"

Uhhhhhh...? Say what? daheck is a whipper, and how do you snap it? :laugh:

There was a vid that popped up on my news feed on my phone. Didn't watch it, but it was about an Australian lady who moved to the states. She was documenting all of the trouble that her accent got her into, because of how she pronounced words that got mistaken for other words.