New mod author comment moderation features and updated terms of servic

Dark0ne

While I can understand the reasoning behind introducing this new "mod authors can moderate everything about their own file uploads" system there really does need to be more of a fallback system in place. As it stands this is going to be very open to all sorts of abuse by mod authors, please do note here that not that I'm saying it will, it's just that the potential for abuse is there!

Scenario A: an author uploads a new mod, a user downloads and subsequently posts some feedback (maybe the user simply had problems with the mod, maybe the mod has flaws). Mod author doesn't like the feedback so deletes the comment. User asks why their feedback comment was deleted, mod author deletes that comment. User tries again, mod author bans the user from downloading the mod and also bans the user from downloading all their other mods. User has no fallback to report abuse of the system.

While I know that's something of an extreme example, the simple fact there is the potential for abuse of the system means that sooner or later it will be abused by a mod author! If any user feels that they've been dealt with unfairly they should, at least, be able to report that, in the same way that a mod author can report abuse etc from any user!

By all means introduce new rules etc to improve how things work, but don't create rules that are too one-sided and open to abuse, however slim the chance of abuse may be! If one mod author does abuse the system it will likely have a negative effect on the Nexus as a whole!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #10262139. #10262310, #10262477, #10262561, #10263581, #10264628, #10264822, #10267213, #10267381 are all replies on the same post.

Lol Arthmoor, I may be wrong, but i still think that some places, like Nexus are from the right part of the internet. So we can work for make this an even better place to discuss, or we can work for giving to 35k users a not fair *self-justice* tool.

In response to post #10267393.

completely agree with you on this,im all for changes as long as its fair to both mod users and modders alike,neither side should be treated with any less respect then the other and if that ever does happen there should be consequences.

i myself am not worried as if the system doesn't work then i'm sure it will be reviewed or modified as and where needed besides better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all.

In response to post #10262139. #10262310, #10262477, #10262561, #10263581, #10264628, #10264822, #10267213, #10267381, #10267929 are all replies on the same post.

users are the biggest value here

Without modders there would be nothing for users to use. So I'd say that both users and modders have equal value here. Without one there wouldn't be the other. Some users seem to feel that as users they are entitled to the same rights as if they had purchased the mod and will continue to make demands, bully and pester in an attempt to force the author to tailor the mod to suite them. If I had had these new options a few months ago I probably would not have felt the need to remove my work from Nexus. Edited by Ithlia

...So I guess you'd prefer the old way then, where mod authors ONLY recourse was to take the entire mod down and make it unavailable to the entire community as a whole?...

"ONLY recourse"? Were they not able to report posts in their thread back then? Or did they stoke the drama fires and ONLY left when they got burnt? Please, let's be honest here.

We now have:

1. Hide a user's post if we do not like it.
2. Report a user if their posts are abusive and let the site staff handle it.
3. Block a user if they are still making posts we do not like.

All of those are solutions.

4. Block a user that we do not like from downloading.

Option number four has no problem to solve.

I'm with Arthmoor. The ability to police my own mod pages is a good thing. I've never needed to block users, but have needed a few posts removing; mostly due to double posts or whatever. Now I get to do that myself.

As to blocking users from downloading, I'll likely never use it, whether I had the ability or not. The fact that it's there doesn't matter to me.

And the comments about discrimination, how is a modder to know who is black or gay... I get the argument, but it makes no sense.

Yes there will be people who abuse the feature, however giving an author more control of his or her stuff is not a bad thing. If anything it's about time. Edited by B1gBadDaddy

This is a long thread and I didn't read all of it. I'd just like to say that mods still belong to the authors, and not to the community. Authors should be able to decide who is going to use their mods and who is not. Users, on the other hand, are free to consider authors as dicks.

I never needed this feature but I like it. Whoever wants to consider me a dick because of that, go ahead, I don't give a sh*t.

I'd like to give kudos to the site owner. In the interest of his business is to side with users rather than modders, because there are far more users than modders. But, he has chosen to do what he thinks it's right. Thanks for that.

Some people keep forgetting one thing. The mods are OWNED by the authors, not by community. As owners, authors are able to decided who gets the mod and who don't. Also, as user one can choose to boycott particular author on whatever criteria. Why is nobody discussing that aspect ?

Users are not more important or better in any way than authors. Yes, some people have the mindset 'everything for the benefit of the community', but that is not universal, and not a prerequisite for posting a mod.

What an entertaining read. It's like watching Groundhog day on Groundhog day.

There are always going to be people for this change and people against it. Now if everyone (authors and users) simply respects one another, then none of this would be necessary. Sadly, we live in a world where the word "respect" is more uncommon than common sense. In that light, kudos to Nexus for implementing this.

It's a necessary evil.