Tsunami relief

Chaosmaker

Is the United States of America giving enough money to the Tsunami relief effort?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is the United States of America giving enough money to the Tsunami relief effort?

• To much money
    • Enough for me
    • Undecided
    • A little bit more won't hurt
    • Not close enough

Well, they ARE pretty poor, after all, they don't have any lucrative industries or anything...oh, wait! Yes they do!

Apparently, the Mennonite Council has sent 5 containers (shipping type, I assume) of 'canned meat'. So, does the poll refer to material relief, in addition to financial aid?

• 1 month later...

While I do feel for those in the areas destroyed by the tsunami, I believe that the United States has too much on its hands right now to loan them a large amount of money or goods. We have a war to support and an economy that, though improving, is still not quite back on its feet yet. I am sorry, but we should be a little tighter with out purse strings this time.

Also, I saw a political cartoon a few weeks back that made an indelible impression on me. It featured a picture of a man labeled "World" and one labeled "US", and showed how the world comes to us and scolds us on our actions, but runs to us for help whenever there is a crisis such as this. In these tough times, we cannot be the world's standby.

Isn't it only luck that's kept us from needing to be the ones running for help, though? If we think others are doing things wrong, we can say so. If we need financial assistance, we have plenty of chips to cash in on...that is, we could reasonably expect a certain measure of assistance from those we had assisted.

ModMan ive read 4 of your posts now and already to me you have come across as the Sterotypical American, 'We dont give a damn about the rest of you because where bigger so we can do what we want'. Hmmmm.

Recently around 140 nations signed a treaty to say they would cut down on gas emisions, but America the biggest consumer of Natural Resources and the Lergest polluter in the world refused to sign it.

Think about it will what will your children of your grand children, hell even yourself say when these things happen on your shores, would YOU want the rest of the world to send aid to you?

Isn't it only luck that's kept us from needing to be the ones running for help, though? If we think others are doing things wrong, we can say so. If we need financial assistance, we have plenty of chips to cash in on...that is, we could reasonably expect a certain measure of assistance from those we had assisted.

Luck? I dont think so, America isnt what it is today by luck. America is on top because of years of sacrifice by our people, and by the contributions of immigrants (the melting pot). And we prepare for natural disaters much better.

As for the topic, I am not sure what is being done to help the victims, I have not been in that part of the world recently, and I really dont trust the media here to give me hard core honesty. I have not seen any figures on everything we are doing.

Im sure we doing a lot, I know I put a few dollars in the tsunami relief fund everytime I go to walmart, my parents sent some considerable donations, and I hear about the local church they attend has planned to send missionaries with help.

I guess I see this two ways, on the one hand the people who help, help, the people choose not to, don't. The other way is looking at this is, the world as a whole, in spite of our diffrences there may one day come a time when the world needs to act as one for the survial of our race, like a big burning death rock from outer space comes hurling at us and we need to all join forces to make a lazer or somthing, or aliens invade (you never know), or America may one day need help true, we are failable. But I dont think it will matter how much we help. The forces of greed and hatred are far stronger than thankfulness and care. Im sure it wouldnt matter if we set up every tsunami victim with a condo and fancy car, in time we would not recive help from them if needed, everyone hates america, they love to hate us.

Maybe what we get out of it isnt the modivation, maybe we should help to help, to save lives of other human beings with feelings like us and problems much worse. I actualy had a dream that I was in Iraq on vaction, and everyone was nice, I asked somone "shouldnt I being hiding somwhere?" and they said "why? nobody fights anymore" I dreamed of a world where we dont act stupid anymore, everyone was smart and mature, it was nice for the time. But lets face it that world will never exist, as long as there is greed and hatered, and mostly fear the biggest modivator. Therefore we need to be selfish to some extent, and conserve our power.

Also, I saw a political cartoon a few weeks back that made an indelible impression on me. It featured a picture of a man labeled "World" and one labeled "US", and showed how the world comes to us and scolds us on our actions, but runs to us for help whenever there is a crisis such as this. In these tough times, we cannot be the world's standby.

True. Whatever USA do, everyone thinks its bad. I sometimes even hear things like "America's money is killing people." Absurd and impudence.

Recently around 140 nations signed a treaty to say they would cut down on gas emisions, but America the biggest consumer of Natural Resources and the Lergest polluter in the world refused to sign it.

Has it not occured to you that cutting down on gas emisions might not be so easy to do for USA? That it might hurt the industry?

Largest polluter? Yeah, it may be so, but what do you suggest them to do? Destroy factories? Close power plants? Get rid of cars?

When that treaty reached the senate, it was rejected by a 95-0 vote. Not a single senator voted for it. Even the most pro-environment democrats voted against it. And you know why? Because it would've been a death sentence for US industry, and by extension, the entire economy. Not only that, but it provided massive exemptions for every other producer of pollution, so the US was required to make cuts far out of proportion to the other nations.

==============================

As for the initial question, the answer is "more than enough". The rest of the world isn't entitled to our money. We have plenty of domestic problems that money could be used for. Cutting all foriegn aid would do wonderful things to our own lower class. But we still give money to the rest of the world, and our own citizens pay the price.

So for all of you whining about how the US isn't being generous enough, just remember this: the US as a whole has sacrificed much more than you have for those donations. Until you start making some real sacrifices yourself, you have zero right to complain that the US isn't doing enough.

Peregrine i see your point, but still problems dont just solve on their own and even if ignored they'll still be there :smiley:

Anyway back on topic i think a lot of money has been sent there, i'm not sure whether it's enough or to much i wouldn't like to say, just one thing that annoyed me was when our government said they were increasing the money it was sending over their. It wasn't their money it was the peoples, from OUR taxes, it didn't come from the politicians pockets thats for sure!

Archived