Was intelligent life ever meant to exist?

Icefiddell

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He even won an award for it ....

But Switch, you're referring to order imposed by the laws of physics... yet one of physics' main principles is quantum mechanics....

And when you look at the universe on a small enough scale, quantum mechanics ensures that it is anything but ordered. :grin:

• 5 weeks later...
But as said earlier, the bees didn't calculate it and do all the engineering problems to reach this conclusion. It would've been a long process of trial and error, with the failures dying.

Exactly, Look at all man has made, if we tried to create everything we have today from scratch we would never be able to, generations of man passing on ideas and ways to better ourselfs has given us our world, same with bees, they didnt all get together one day and decide "hey lets build a really cool hive". No they did it cause thats whats they are geared to do, just like we are geared to build houses and guns, and computers, no god programed us to, and surely our achievments are far greater than bees.

hmm it seems we have simply come down to the "is evolution real?" debate we have debated since I joined. Sorry if this thread is old, its hard to find fresh threads these days.

• 2 weeks later...
I disagree. I think that evolution fills every possible niche, and that's why you find the examples you've described.

And the ones you haven't. Disease. Parasites. Are tapeworms meant to exist? Is the Ebola virus?

Really? So you're telling me that bees, for instance, can create perfect symmetry inside their hives repeatedly and without fail, just because they learnt how to do it through some sort of evolutionary genetic memory? And nothing programmed that to happen? Not to mention they have brains the size of peas, if that. And if this universe is supposedly so random, surely it should have got screwed up during the process, and they should be creating more random shapes rather than all the same. I find it a little hard to believe, personally...

As for the disease, well, a lot of it has evolved from us resisting existing viri I think. Like, for instance, these new super viruses that are immune to all forms of antibiotics form in hospitals due to all the possible agents being present. I couldn't tell you how or why or if they were meant to originally exist without knowing more about that sort of thing. :tongue2:

I believe evolution does exist, but that it performs in a sort of pre-programmed pattern, rather than complete randomness.

*gets out evolution info scrolll*

quite simply... to use an unusually apt saying from a book utterly not related:

things wee done because it was easier to do them than not to
\

or something. jack london, white fang.

anyway, it's because symmetry allowed them to make a more compact hive, yeilding more honey, or bees i nteh same amount of space, allowing them to shove their competitors out of the way. the best system was developed over time. in short, those that did not pass the test died out. it is random.

its "shoot the horse if he dosen't jump the hurdle" adn them mate the ones that do.

and you dont run out pof horses.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, science actually proves itself wrong in the big bang theory. The rule of conservation of mass tells us that matter cannot be made or destroyed. If this was made out of nothing, then how is that possible? Is everything the scientists tell wrong. Therefore there has to be a supernatural being behund this (God.). Look at the complexity of the universe and even ourselves. This could not have been made purly out of nothing.

Have a nice day!

1) Conservation of matter is not an absolute law, just a general guidline. Most of the time you know if you've created matter out of nothing (in a colision problem, for example), you've made a mistake in your calculations. But anyway, remember this thing called antimatter? Guess what happens when you mix it with normal matter.

Yep, it is destroyed. Conservation of matter is violated. Guess your "law" isn't such great proof after all.

2) Matter can in theory be created out of nothing, according to a theory of subatomic physics I don't understand well enough to explain in detail.

Therefore there has to be a supernatural being behund this (God.)

Why? Why, besides your desire to justify belief in a god, does it have to be a supernatural being and not just an inaninmate explanation we haven't discovered yet?

Look at the complexity of the universe and even ourselves. This could not have been made purly out of nothing.

Emotional arguments are worthless without facts. Please present some examples of impossible complexity that require divine intervention, or concede that you don't know what you're talking about.

First of all, it was not my law to begin with. Second, that theory you talked about is just a theory(has not been proven[ the big bang is a theory too]) Also, what created this matter and antimatter. The basic thing is that in order for there to be an effect there must be a cause. That cause is made by something/ someone.

Have a nice day!

(From the guy who is still #1 in the top ten posters today! :cheesy: )

You are not aware that a matter - anti-matter pair of particles can come into existence spontaneously, then?

Note that I didn't use the word created, since creation would imply a conscious intent.

And in what way is boasting of your posting abilities relevant to anything?

Archived