The search function is not functional

Dario1980

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i've known of that follow, and i use it, but it's not as efficient as keeping track of, or searching your own posts. u gotta still search back through the entire thread to find your posts and/or replies to such. and half the time nowadays the search function for that stuff doesn't even work lol. and of course u need to remember what you posted so u can search it's keywords, ect

no, i still believe that search your own posts is an integral part of any community. imagine if u couldn't search your bank statement or the like lol

It's not like the Nexus staff disagree with you.

Fast, cheap or done well. Pick two. And one of those two has to be "done well" or the whole website collapses.

If you pick fast as the other one how do you expect it to be paid for? More ads? Take away the Supporter level benefits? Charge more for Premium? Pay the staff less? Pay mod authors less?

Fast, cheap or done well. Pick two. And one of those two has to be "done well" or the whole website collapses.

If you pick fast as the other one how do you expect it to be paid for? More ads? Take away the Supporter level benefits? Charge more for Premium? Pay the staff less? Pay mod authors less?

As I recall, Nexus has web designers/programmers on staff.... Isn't it their JOB to make sure the site functions properly??

Guest deleted34304850

As I recall, Nexus has web designers/programmers on staff.... Isn't it their JOB to make sure the site functions properly??

bit salty that

Yes. And if you want more done than their scheduled work week entails, you have to hire more people. Hence why "fast" negates "cheap'.

More specifically, Pickysaurus has repeatedly mentioned that they are working on de-integrating the forum from the other site functions so that the forum can be kept up to date without tanking everything else. Right now the forum has so much customized code that updating it to fix the search issue will kill a bunch of other stuff. And you can't fix the search problems without updating. They've run out of magic " go faster" buttons they can push.

Showler is more or less right.

Considering the size of our community and the reach of the website we actually have a very small team (22 full time staff, not all developers!). It's a matter of priority with the resource we have.

I feel your pain about the search as our moderators and I use it more than perhaps any other users. The problem is that the forum is very much a "black box" of very old code from a long unsupported version of IPBoard. I daresay it's a feat that it can still function at the scale of our site - supporting potentially hundreds of thousands of concurrent users probably wasn't a common occurrence when it was built.

It's not a simple case of there being a fix that the devs just aren't having the time to apply. Any work on the forum requires extensive research/investigation and may require further "hacks" and customisation on top of the aging codebase which isn't something we really want to do unless it's unavoidable.

Sometimes programming can be a house of cards too. If they fix search, it might break something else that was more important which sucks even more time away from building the cool new features that everyone wants - like a new comment system with a working search.

My personal hope is, if we can decouple the last few systems from the forum then it can be go back to being "just a forum" rather than the backbone of the entire site. From there we can look at migrating the data somewhere new or upgrading the latest IPBoard (I think it's called Invision Community now) without the risk of borking everything. How that looks depends on where we are when the time comes though.

Considering the size of our community and the reach of the website we actually have a very small team (22 full time staff, not all developers!). It's a matter of priority with the resource we have.

I feel your pain about the search as our moderators and I use it more than perhaps any other users. The problem is that the forum is very much a "black box" of very old code from a long unsupported version of IPBoard. I daresay it's a feat that it can still function at the scale of our site - supporting potentially hundreds of thousands of concurrent users probably wasn't a common occurrence when it was built.

It's not a simple case of there being a fix that the devs just aren't having the time to apply. Any work on the forum requires extensive research/investigation and may require further "hacks" and customisation on top of the aging codebase which isn't something we really want to do unless it's unavoidable.

Sometimes programming can be a house of cards too. If they fix search, it might break something else that was more important which sucks even more time away from building the cool new features that everyone wants - like a new comment system with a working search.

My personal hope is, if we can decouple the last few systems from the forum then it can be go back to being "just a forum" rather than the backbone of the entire site. From there we can look at migrating the data somewhere new or upgrading the latest IPBoard (I think it's called Invision Community now) without the risk of borking everything. How that looks depends on where we are when the time comes though.

I would rather have the current features actually working, before new bells and whistles were added......

I would rather have the current features actually working, before new bells and whistles were added......

Well, the site currently has 37 million members, so it's possible that the owners have to take more than your opinion into account.

Guest deleted34304850

its almost as if you haven't read a single response that tells you why what you want can't happen.

keep stamping your foot, maybe try holding your breath, or shouting loudly. those tricks always get what a spoiled child wants.