Downgrade Enemy Unknown to Patch 4 (356266) R&D

Bertilsson

Before launching Downgrade.vbs you really should try running bspatch.exe from the Command Prompt first, to see if it executes without a problem. If you get an UAC prompt ("Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?") you DO NOT want to continue before changing UAC behavior, because otherwise you will be flooded with UAC prompts while the script is running.

Btw, I'd also like to point out that, AFAIK, the following lines in the hosts file don't do anything:

127.0.0.1 65.118.245.165
127.0.0.1 65.118.245.139

Why? Because the second parameter needs to be a hostname, not an ip address. So if those are needed, the right place for them is in firewall rules..

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game won't start here after the downgrade: "Steam - Error: Failed to start game (unknown error)".

LogFile has a bunch of lines like this:

9.12.2013 20:20:26 Target file not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\DLC\PCConsole\DLC_Day060\CookedPCConsole\Body_Zhang_SF.upk

Fatal if no DLCs installed?

I think I will make the following changes to the installation script:

• Exclude all Version.txt files from patching
    • Instead add a separate script which user can run to check XComGame.exe version (useful if user suspect steam update)
    • Should hopefully also make steam less likely to suddenly update even though I doubt it makes any difference for this game.
  • Make the script recursively search for a parent folder named "common" allowing the mod folder to be placed in any sub folder instead of absolutely exactly where I expect it to be placed, which apparently is more difficult than anticipated :smile:
  • Move all installation instructions into OK/Yes/No/Cancel dialogues
    • Makes the instructions less massive and more intuitive.
    • Gives room for more automation and feedback
      • Folder has been renamed - Please start and exit the game before pressing OK.
        • You have failed! No new folder was created. Press OK when you have redeemed yourself or press cancel to exit installation.
      • Do you want to move save games from old save game folder to the new folder?
  • Test patching a single file and verify result before patching the rest
    • Gives user chance to abort if UAC nagger appeared.
  • Comprehensive log file
  • Simplified log file
Edited by Bertilsson