Downgrade Enemy Unknown to Patch 4 (356266) R&D

Bertilsson

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this may be a good time to explain why there is no such thing as a minor problem when installing this mod.

The mod contains 3289 diff files.

Each and every one of these files is a blueprint how to modify a specific game file from being patch 6 version to patch 4 version.

If so much as a single byte in any of the target files is not exactly what was expected then that file will be neither patch 4 or patch 6, it will be broken.

Failing to steam verify the game is a guaranteed way to not provide the downgrade script with expected files, resulting in up to 3289 broken game files which is roughly 75% of the game files.

Expecting the game to be working with up 75% broken files and thinking that someone can probably tell you how to fix it, is highly unrealistic. I don't think even at firaxis there exists a single person who can explain, exactly, what each and every one of these 3289 files does or how it may affect the game if any single one of them is broken.

(In some cases it may not even be enough to steam verify the game, some users have reported that after they completely uninstalled the game and deleted it in both steamapps\common My Documents\My Games; they were finally able to install the mod after re-installing the game.

It is impossible for me to know if this was the actual solution or just made the user very very careful when following the instructions afterwards or just the result of an intermittent bug in steam verification or the patch tool.)

This is the very reason why there is no room at all for shortcuts or thinking that some part of the instructions is probably not important and may be skipped.

If you are not exactly 100% successful at each and every step of the instruction then there is no point in continuing. The mod installation will just keep on failing until you have properly addressed the issue and repeated all preceding steps in correct sequence, no matter how insignificant it may seem or how boring yet another steam verification may be.

The current plan is to make the downgrade script easier to use and to make it spoon-feed instructions one by one to the user.

Hopefully this will solve most of the problems but ultimately it will never ever be as simple as just pressing ok and ignore whatever the computer tells you.

From your description it sounds like you are successfully downgrading to patch 4 and run into problem when you later attempt to install LW.

I recommend that you make a complete backup of both common\Xcom... and My Games\Xcom... folders after you have done everyting EXCEPT installing long war.

Then you can test installing toolboks 1.5.2 and see if some of the different features like increased squad size is indeed working. Restart the game and verify that they are still working.

Only if above is successful replace files from the backup and try installing long war 2.12 beta 4 (at least now you wont have to do everything all over again and again)