Downgrade Enemy Unknown to Patch 4 (356266) R&D

Bertilsson

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in Windows 8 and 8.1 you pretty much have to turn off UAC globally, ie. set it to "Never notify". You do that in User Account Control settings. Of course you can set it back after you have finished patching. The other tricks (for older Windows) didn't work for me.

I think in Windows 8 and 8.1 you pretty much have to turn off UAC globally, ie. set it to "Never notify". You do that in User Account Control settings. Of course you can set it back after you have finished patching. The other tricks (for older Windows) didn't work for me.

This seems to have worked thanks. I need to run xcom and verify everything but this was an easy work around for my problem.Also thanks to everyone else who tried to help.

Edit:Just finished first lw mission.Everything seems to be running smooth thanks alot!

Edited by MindsEye97

Game won't start here after the downgrade: "Steam - Error: Failed to start game (unknown error)".

LogFile has a bunch of lines like this:

9.12.2013 20:20:26 Target file not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\DLC\PCConsole\DLC_Day060\CookedPCConsole\Body_Zhang_SF.upk

Fatal if no DLCs installed?

Uninstalled the game in Steam, removed all leftover files & re-installed. After this, patching was succesful and the game starts fine.

Thank you, Bertilsson! :)

Like SectoidMedic, i have the same problem... i downgrade my installation... Patch completed succesfull! ... but... it wont start after all... process is in the Task- Manager, but nothing happens..

Help? =)

I'm afraid that if the installation is successful but the game won't start there is very little advice I can offer other than trying again (and again if needed) as this seems to have solved the issue for most users in same situation.

But I cannot stress enough how important it is that each and every file in the game must be patch 6 version before downgrading to patch 4... And that steam absolutely must not be in offline mode during or after the downgrade.

OH MY GAWD!!!! It wooo---oooo----oooorkeeeeeeeeeeed!!!! Bert. I'd do dirty things to you for that patch :> I've tried like 6 times so far. Learning from my istakes I'd like to describe what I did wrong and when and what you should pay attention to(IMPORTANT PARTS IN RED!). Here we go:

Important!
* Put steam into online mode and keep it there!
* Make sure Steam is told NOT to update the game automatically (Steam --> XCom EU --> Properties --> Updates tab)
* If you have some anti virus software that is known for abotaging installations, you may need to consider disabling it... <-seems unimportant. Anyway I've got Nod32 and it doesn't interefere. If you got problems than download it's trial version adn check for yourself.
1. Unzip contents of XComDownP6toP4.zip into ..\SteamApps\common\ folder
2. Verify that you now have a folder exactly like this: ..\SteamApps\common\XComDown <-- if this reads P6toP4 repeat step 1...
3. Disable any Hosts file blocks preventing XCom from phoning home (see further down for details)
4. Verify integrity of game cache in Steam (Properties --> Local Files tab) <- I've tried to do it offline because I didn't read the full instructions and was mad it's at 0% all the time
5. Start XCom Enemy Unknown (to make sure all files for patch 6 are fully installed and up to date)
6. Exit XCom Enemy Unknown (no need to exit Steam)
7. Edit Hosts file to prevent XCom to phone home (This is absolutely necessary for all XCom Mods) <- I forgot about that during my current installation but it seems you can do this even after downpatching
8. Install the mod by double click on ..\SteamApps\common\XComDown\Downgrade.vbs and press OK to begin <- Clock only only ONCE! When a permission window shows up click the blue sentence at the right bottom part of it and change the option to "always allow things to change things in my PC" or such...bottom option I think
9. Wait until a new popup message informs you that mod is complete (Time ranges from 2-30 minutes depending on how fast your computer is) <- my PC did it in 3-4min (Dual Core i5 3550P, 8GB 1333HZ RAM, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate). No windows will show since it's a background process
10. Press OK to exit installation
11. Rename ..\My Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown to something else <-or delete.
12. Start XCom Enemy Unknown (to force the game to create a new fresh version of the renamed folder)
13. Exit XCom Enemy Unknown (still no need to exit Steam)
14. Move back any save files you want to keep from the Renamed My Games folder to the new \My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown folder\XComGame\SaveData\ folder
15. Install mods for EU Patch 4
16. Play the game
Note! Most beta testers who ran into problems were able to solve them by following the instructions again, so please consider following instructions carefully the first time.
Now the most important part: IF YOU GET A WINDOW SAYING "CAN'T START APP (UNKNOWN ERROR)" THEN YOU'RE F...D -> START OVER FROM STEP 1! IF YOU GET A WINDOW SAYING "CAN'T START THE APP. APP ALREADY RUNNING IN BACKGROUND" THEN PUT THE BLOCKS INTO THE HOSTS FILE!
This should fix most people up. Don't give up while trying to get it to work. It took ma around 6h of searching and trying the patch to finally get it to work. Be patient and keep repeating the instructions until you get it done.
I almost forgot: as a part of ultimate desperation I deleted Xcom along with all files from Steam. Installed both Steam and XC on the same partition. This might matter
BIG PROPS TO BERT FOR BOTHERING!! OMG YOU'RE AWSOME MAN!!
Edited by Jarzy