Downgrade Enemy Unknown to Patch 4 (356266) R&D

Bertilsson

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point of clarification: Once you have completed the patch reversion to EU patch 4 and end your reverted EU game session, if you remain with Steam in 'On-line Mode' then next time you start the game Steam is going to 'update' you to whatever the latest patch is, correct? (As has recently been demonstrated, Steam appears to arbitrarily ignore the 'do not update' setting on games at it's whim.) So shouldn't your instructions point out when they should set Steam to 'Off-line Mode', or at least give a rationale for why it must be left On-line once patch reversion is complete?

-Dubious-

Point of clarification: Once you have completed the patch reversion to EU patch 4 and end your reverted EU game session, if you remain with Steam in 'On-line Mode' then next time you start the game Steam is going to 'update' you to whatever the latest patch is, correct? (As has recently been demonstrated, Steam appears to arbitrarily ignore the 'do not update' setting on games at it's whim.) So shouldn't your instructions point out when they should set Steam to 'Off-line Mode', or at least give a rationale for why it must be left On-line once patch reversion is complete?

-Dubious-

I've just checked. My Steam doesn't update LW because of the blocks in hosts file.

Bert-> you can :P

-Dubious-

The problem is that steam does "something" when going into offline mode and I can only speculate what this something is.

From what I am guessing it adds some sort of extra copy protection layer to prevent people going offline and distributing the game to everyone they know.

Another theory is that it "tries to be nice" by attempting to update some game files before going offline.

Or a combination of both.

In either case the symptom is that downgraded game won't start after going offline.

So the big question is really how can it work in online mode when people (me included) have been experiencing forced updates regardless of disabled auto updates in steam?

Again I can only speculate...

• Lucky bug in the beta version?
    • Version.txt in the root game folder was never patched for beta testers (still showing patch 6 info after downgrade)
    • The version uploaded on nexus has bugfix for this, so I guess we would have heard from the 50+ downloaders by now if downgrade was broken after restarting the game/steam.
  • Steam/firaxis bug
    • The forced update may have been disabled soon after patch 6 was released.
    • This would explain why bokauk had to both reinstall the game and verify files in order to get patch 6 when she actually wanted to update from patch 5 to 6 a few days after everyone else.
  • Steam may keep track of highest game version reported on server
    • Would be very logical to not attempt to update or even check those players again. Especially if they have do not auto update option selected.

Ok, i fully reinstalled the Game, patched it to version 6, use downgradepatch after i Run the Game 2 times and KEEP Online! deleted the Xcom Folder under "my documents" and try to Run it after downgrade.. First Time the the same problem, .exe in the Taskmanager, but nothing happen... Shuttle down the task and try it again. Now the install window appears and after that (Steam is online after all) it start the Game! .. well .. fine, so i install the Mod "Long War" and go in the Offline Mode... again the Problem: . exe in task, but no Game start.

What did i wrong?!?! (Sry for my bad english, ;) )

Ok, i fully reinstalled the Game, patched it to version 6, use downgradepatch after i Run the Game 2 times and KEEP Online! deleted the Xcom Folder under "my documents" and try to Run it after downgrade.. First Time the the same problem, .exe in the Taskmanager, but nothing happen... Shuttle down the task and try it again. Now the install window appears and after that (Steam is online after all) it start the Game! .. well .. fine, so i install the Mod "Long War" and go in the Offline Mode... again the Problem: . exe in task, but no Game start.

What did i wrong?!?! (Sry for my bad english, :wink: )

* Put steam into online mode and keep it there!

This would explain why bokauk had to both reinstall the game and verify files in order to get patch 6 when she actually wanted to update from patch 5 to 6 a few days after everyone else.

Yeah, that's very interesting fact and I experienced it too. First: I never played with Steam off-line, only disabled auto-updates and phone home. Second: I had to force cache check (even with auto update on and prioritized) to update my EU to patch 5 (EW release was delayed in my region, so it wasn't yet available, but patch already was).

After initial forced update (auto update was still off) to EUp6/EWp1 Steam never tried to update anything. But, if the game crashes (and it crashes a lot with my experiments :smile: ), Steam tries to download something, but immediately says "Steam servers are unavailable" and stops.