Downgrade Enemy Unknown to Patch 4 (356266) R&D

Bertilsson

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty infuriating - not sure what the issue is, but like many in this thread I get the xcom process running but no game after downgrading.

I've done everything in this thread and more. I've redownloaded the game, cleared appcache, ran steam://flushconfig, verified and reverified, reinstalled directx before and after downgrading, tried both blocking and unblocking the host file address (at the end before running the game a final time). But I always get stuck at this problem. (And yes steam is online...)

Now - what could be the cause?

Are there any other setting files that may be temporarily locally stored in steam somewhere? I have steamcloud disabled.

Something I want to try... if someone could upload a copy of their mygames/xcom/ directory after they successful launch a P4 game - and if I tried copying this to my directory and seeing if the game would boot-up using those configs.

Have you made sure that you did not have any antivirus software interfering during the installation?

Did you use version 1 or version 2 of the installer?

Edit: Regarding the file in My Games

It is fully possible to start and play the game without getting rid of patch 6 version of My Games

So if you are able to start the game when it is fully updated then you already have working My Games files, which are never touched by the downgrade patch (as you are expected to manually handle that, but for testing purposes you can ignore that part)

Edited by Bertilsson

Bertilsson I need little help.

I have problem with a Downgrade.vbs. Any special program or library required to launch this file?

- Win7 Home Premium 64 bit

No, it is a visual basic script which only requires Microsoft Windows and a tool called BSPatch.exe which is included.

I was my problem only.

After register:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
and adding to register this lines:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vbs]

; @="bfvbsfile"

; change the default value from bfvbsfile back to vbsfile

@="vbsfile"

"Content Type"="application/x-vbscript"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vbs\PersistentHandler]

@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vbs\ScriptEngine]

@="VBScript"

everything works!

You are done great job Bertilsson. Thank You.

Edited by ErTo76

con someone plz help me, idk what is happening, i have redone it 10+ time, ive completely deleted and re downloaded the game, ive done it right many time and every single time all i get is "failed to start game (missing executable)." i REALLY want to get this mod working so i can use Long War, plz respond if anyone can help. i have EW installed also if that matters

well, ive tried everything i could think of several times over for the last 36 hours, if anyone can give me a hand i would be freaking happy. love the game and just want to play it..........................

Edited by liahaymi21

con someone plz help me, idk what is happening, i have redone it 10+ time, ive completely deleted and re downloaded the game, ive done it right many time and every single time all i get is "failed to start game (missing executable)." i REALLY want to get this mod working so i can use Long War, plz respond if anyone can help. i have EW installed also if that matters

well, ive tried everything i could think of several times over for the last 36 hours, if anyone can give me a hand i would be freaking happy. love the game and just want to play it..........................

You need to provide details, such as the exact paths you are using. The 'missing executable' message is indicating you are installing to the wrong location, or it's not finding the correct executable. You are not using TexMod by any chance?

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

You need to provide details, such as the exact paths you are using. The 'missing executable' message is indicating you are installing to the wrong location, or it's not finding the correct executable. You are not using TexMod by any chance?

-Dubious-

I do not know what texmod is so im going to say no. so anyway, thank you for replying first off. i am going to go threw every step as i write it so i give an accurate account. so i log onto steam and make sure it is online and then started off with a clean install from steam, it has the sling shot dl, enemy within, and elite soldier pack. i verify integrity, from there i downloaded both the downgrade mod and long war mod. i put the downgrade into the steamapps/common folder and unzip it, and then run it.

step one make sure steam is online

step 2 and 3 no security alert came up so i hit no

step 4 this is my hosts file

# Copyright © 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
# Prevent XCOM Phone Home
#127.0.0.1 prod.xcom.firaxis.com
#127.0.0.1 prod.xcom-ew.firaxis.com
Step 5 verify. im going to post this and then start up again after it is done
100% complete so i hit ok
step 6 start up game to menu and then exit out
step seven i change my hosts to this
#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 prod.xcom.firaxis.com
127.0.0.1 prod.xcom-ew.firaxis.com
hit ok and then ok for step 8 and then wait till id does its thing
step 9 i rename the file to xcom EU
i go to start xcom and it says "failed to start game (missing executable)." and im really sad
ive tried deleting and re-download and re-installing both steam and xcom. i tried just ignoring th error and trying to install long war, ive done it over and over so many time. i really hope im just missing something stupid and you call me a tard and we get it to work, that would be so freaking satisfying
Edited by liahaymi21

-Dubious-

I do not know what texmod is so im going to say no. so anyway, thank you for replying first off. i am going to go threw every step as i write it so i give an accurate account. so i log onto steam and make sure it is online and then started off with a clean install from steam, it has the sling shot dl, enemy within, and elite soldier pack. i verify integrity, from there i downloaded both the downgrade mod and long war mod. i put the downgrade into the steamapps/common folder and unzip it, and then run it.

step one make sure steam is online

step 2 and 3 no security alert came up so i hit no

step 4 this is my hosts file

#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.0.0.1 prod.xcom.firaxis.com
#127.0.0.1 prod.xcom-ew.firaxis.com
Step 5 verify. im going to post this and then start up again after it is done
100% complete so i hit ok
step 6 start up game to menu and then exit out
step seven i change my hosts to this
#
#
# space.
#
#
# For example:
#
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 prod.xcom.firaxis.com
127.0.0.1 prod.xcom-ew.firaxis.com
hit ok and then ok for step 8 and then wait till id does its thing
step 9 i rename the file to xcom EU
i go to start xcom and it says "failed to start game (missing executable)." and im really sad
ive tried deleting and re-download and re-installing both steam and xcom. i tried just ignoring th error and trying to install long war, ive done it over and over so many time. i really hope im just missing something stupid and you call me a tard and we get it to work, that would be so freaking satisfying

i even made an copy of everything before hand to compare the two, the only different thing i could find was the exicutible, the new one was just a tiny bit larger. idk man, i just dont know