Vortex downloading more than needed?

falsfire1976

So I wanted to give a try to the new collections feature, and setup to download/install a Fallout 4 collection overnight (because 74gb)

The SSD that fallout, vortex are installed on has 156gb free, so I figured a 74gb collection should definitely fit, right? That's more than twice the required space.

Woke up to find Vortex failed as the disk was full. There was double the amount of files present, vortex download and vortex staging. I have it set to do hardlink deployment, so it *should* only need one copy of the mod files, right? Is it possible to fit 74gb of mods on 156gb of space, or is that just not a thing with the way vortex handles collections?

Vortex has to download the archive, and then install the archive (which means decompressing the files/assets needed for your chosen installation options).

That means there will always be two copies of the mod, often with the downloaded archives being the smaller of the two.

The only way to avoid that is to delete the archives after they are installed, which would leave you unable to re-install that mod without re-downloading it (though you could still re-deploy the mod).

That said, your downloads folder does not need to be on the same drive as your game, and it is usually better to put it on your biggest storage drive rather than your fastest drive.

I kinda thought it might be something like that. My Windows install is a dual-boot (I primarily run Linux), so it doesn't get much of my storage allotment. I do most everything on Linux, but heavily-modded Fallout on Linux is still a nightmare, and although there are workarounds/etc to get Vortex running on Linux, I found it just works better on Windows.

I'll have to see if I can shuffle around some partitions to make room on a storage drive for the ~74gb of mods in the collection...

I kinda thought it might be something like that. My Windows install is a dual-boot (I primarily run Linux), so it doesn't get much of my storage allotment. I do most everything on Linux, but heavily-modded Fallout on Linux is still a nightmare, and although there are workarounds/etc to get Vortex running on Linux, I found it just works better on Windows.

I'll have to see if I can shuffle around some partitions to make room on a storage drive for the ~74gb of mods in the collection...

Hard drive space has gotten cheap. :)

Yeah, but limited slots to put them in cases is still an issue. I have a spare 4tb drive, but nowhere to put it in the chassis...in the chassis is an nvme boot drive, 2.5" 500gb SSD, 4tb storage, and 16tb storage. I'm a digital hoarder, of shows, movies, music, etc lol...the 16tb (which is one giant /data partition in linux) is down to 2.5tb free :)