How do I remove this error?

denali1
Go to solution Solved by showler,

Every time I start Vortex, I get the attached dialog. It looks like it's looking for Phantasy Star Online 2 (a game it doesn't appear to support) on a removable drive. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vortex (a solution I saw on Reddit) with no success. Any idea how I can put this error to rest?

Guest deleted34304850

isn't reddit great?

i mean, it is literally a cess-pit of human ignorance. why you would go there for any kind of solution to any problem in existence is a mystery to me.

isn't reddit great?

i mean, it is literally a cess-pit of human ignorance. why you would go there for any kind of solution to any problem in existence is a mystery to me.

Well, I tried Google. It was an attempt to resolve the problem on my own and it failed. At least I tried. Other than a condemnation of a solution I tried, do you have something actionable I could use?

Isn't there a setting to tell it NOT to rescan for games at startup?

I looked when I read your message. I wasn't able to find a setting that does that.

Neither can I...... Hhhhmmmm...... Mine doesn't scan games at startup. Not sure how I managed that.

If you don't have any heavily modded games you're afraid of ruining, you can try deleting the "appdata/roaming/vortex" folder and let Vortex recreate it.

Just make sure you don't have your download folder or staging folder in there before you do so. If you do, move them using Vortex's settings interface first.

Microsoft's Gamepass system needs to be sure you don't continue using the game after discontinuing the service, so it does weird things with encryption, even on games you bought. Picky (I think) described it as "the game not even existing until you've run it once per session". The result seems to be a lot of errors coming up similar to this with files apparently going missing from non-existent drives. Makes me wonder if their encryption is using virtual drives?

Neither can I...... Hhhhmmmm...... Mine doesn't scan games at startup. Not sure how I managed that.

I don't believe Vortex has scanned for games for several versions now. Now you manually select games for it to look for on an individual basis.

If you don't have any heavily modded games you're afraid of ruining, you can try deleting the "appdata/roaming/vortex" folder and let Vortex recreate it.

Just make sure you don't have your download folder or staging folder in there before you do so. If you do, move them using Vortex's settings interface first.

Microsoft's Gamepass system needs to be sure you don't continue using the game after discontinuing the service, so it does weird things with encryption, even on games you bought. Picky (I think) described it as "the game not even existing until you've run it once per session". The result seems to be a lot of errors coming up similar to this with files apparently going missing from non-existent drives. Makes me wonder if their encryption is using virtual drives?

No, I don't have any games that I would cry over if it lost most mod settings. My heaviest modded game is Skyrim, and it uses Wabbajack for modding it and not Vortex. As for Gamepass, I don't have it. I use Steam, Epic Games and the bastardized Steam/EA combo for gaming.

Righty ho, off to punch a folder in the soft parts and see what happens. Be right back.

No joy.