Let's end the AI content debate - Does anyone have a good contact for Bethesada? (Yes, seriously)

lazloarcadia

So I'm looking for a good contact point for Bethesda to open a line of dialog with them about their stand point on the use of AI tools to create additional voiced dialog. Currently there seems to be a large concern within our modding community about the possible repercussions if a voice actor comes back and demands AI created content to be removed. My stand point is simple: Bethesda has given us permission to create free mods, and to use in-game assets in the creation of such.

So let's not needlessly argue or debate this among ourselves and get no where with it. Let's go to the source: Bethesda. They own it. They own the copy rights, etc etc. So if they are cool with these new tools, or alternately if they hate the idea and want to ban them from modding, that should be the end of the debate either way and we can get on with our lives with a better understanding of how far we can push modded content.

That said, does anyone have a good contact point with Bethesda's team who could speak directly to this issue?

Edited by lazloarcadia

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see some clarity regarding this point as well. While I highly appreciate and value the work that voice actors put in, both professional and amateur, not all modders have the time nor resources or knowledge to reach out to voice actors and to process the voice files in a sufficient manner. Some people just have to rely on AI tools if they want to have any voice acting at all.

I initially planned to generate the player voice for my upcoming mod via an AI tool, but after seeing posts about how some voice actors who participated in F4 don't like AI tools, I'm now probably going with a silent protagonist.

Try [email protected]

They might be able to point you in the right direction at least.

Thank you, I appreciate it. This is an issue that has the potential to disrupt our modding community, so having a clear path forward is really significant at this point. Personally I'd rather have Bethesda tell us no, than simply leave us hanging on this one.

Edited by lazloarcadia

Try [email protected]

They might be able to point you in the right direction at least.

Thank you, I appreciate it. This is an issue that has the potential to disrupt our modding community, so having a clear path forward is really significant at this point. Personally I'd rather have Bethesda tell us no, than simply leave us hanging on this one.

I agree. Knowing THEIR policy would go a long way toward resolving this debate... However, Beth just ain't known for being forthcoming on these kinds of issues..... Getting an answer from them is akin to pulling teeth. :D

I think this is a bad idea. Lacking clarity regarding laws that affect their liability, Bethesda will have NO CHOICE but to ban the use of such systems. It's the only way they could protect themselves regardless of which way the laws eventually play out.

You're only moving things from a "gray area" to a "definitely not".

I think this is a bad idea. Lacking clarity regarding laws that affect their liability, Bethesda will have NO CHOICE but to ban the use of such systems. It's the only way they could protect themselves regardless of which way the laws eventually play out.

I think if Beth really doesn't feel like committing to one side or the other... they will simply not answer at all, or, give such an obscure answer, that it won't commit them to anything at all.....

I think if Beth really doesn't feel like committing to one side or the other... they will simply not answer at all, or, give such an obscure answer, that it won't commit them to anything at all.....

Sure, but if the only possible answers are "no answer" and "bad answer", why kick the bear?

Simply put, if the idea of having to remove AI generated voices from your mod some day down the road is not acceptable to you, don't use them.

Sure, but if the only possible answers are "no answer" and "bad answer", why kick the bear?

Simply put, if the idea of having to remove AI generated voices from your mod some day down the road is not acceptable to you, don't use them.

Oh come on, everyone know how much fun it is to poke the bear, or the hornets nest... or the anthill..... :D

Yeah, eventually, this will sort itself out, one way or another. Maybe Nexus should put a keyword, or some such, for folks using AI generated voice files, so, when/if the time comes, it will be easy to hide the ones in question.

Using A.I. to generate a voice isn't something they are going to ban, I think. Why would they? To force you to find/pay a voice actor?

Using original voice files from the game to generate more content just might be. To protect their assets from unwanted 'speech' and to please the voice actors 'gild'.

However, in what way is it any different from using A.I. to generate new textures or even papyrus scripts, based on "vanilla" content?

The fact that voice actors don't like it is nothing but a big, "Duh, its their bread".

The only real issue (for a company like Bethesda) is that you can make base game characters say things you really don't want to hear, or be associated with.

...but that's an issue with all of modding...

Imho, there should be no separate modding rules for voice files, but yeah, it would be nice to know their standpoint for sure. (even if it is kinda poking the bear)