Windows 7/8/8.1 - Vortex will not start up

Pickysaurus

Thank you so much for this help, I love my 10 year old windows 7 machine and don't want to upgrade.  The thing still works great, and I do have a brand new PC in another room that I use new games that won't run on 7, but this one is my go to for having fun in fallout 4 or NV, and other old ass games I play from time to time.

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

image.png.853a5e071a1098c16eec6204df61a75b.png

My OS is windows 11??? I do see an update to windows on my computer, I'm gonna try running that and restarting, but I'm pretty sure this is a bug. 

EDIT: I'm dumb you just have to hit ignore. It's a warning, not telling you it thinks your OS is old.

Man, my reading comprehension is fighting for it's life today

Edited by AwkwardSilenceFTW

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2023 at 5:03 AM, Pickysaurus said:

Users on Windows 7/8/8.1 will receive the following error on start-up.

The procedure entry point DiscardVirtualMemory could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNAL32.dll

As of version 1.8, Vortex is no longer compatible with older versions of Windows. We recommend updating to Windows 10 or 11 where possible, but for users who cannot do that the steps below will allow them to continue modding on the last version of the app which supports their version of Windows.

1. Download the Vortex 1.7.8 installer. (Custom location version here).
  2. Temporarily disable the internet connection to your PC - Important: Failing to do this will cause Vortex to auto-update to the latest version.
  3. Install Vortex 1.7.8 over the top of the current version.
  4. Start Vortex, ignoring any warnings about downgrading.
  5. Open "Settings -> Vortex -> Update" and select "No automatic update".
  6. Restore the internet connection to your PC and restart Vortex.

Please note we cannot provide support for users on an outdated version of Vortex. If you encounter an issue it may have already been addressed in the latest release.

I dont think it works anymore.