Exit to desktop freeze

Neotox428

Hi Everyone,

So I keep having this issue. Every time I try to exit to desktop everything freezes up solid. I have to go to task manager and kill fallout 4. I have looked high and low on google but all posts are old and typically just point to task manager to get out of the game....is there a fix for this as it's a pain in the ass to get to task manager every time i quit the game. Any help would be appreciated.

I suspect it has something to do with the 'save on game exit' mechanic, unfortunately, I have not found a way to turn that off. For me, sometimes, the game will exit cleanly, other times, it will sit at the 'saving game' screen for a bit, but, it finally does exit.... I have no idea what makes the difference there. I would LOVE to be able to just turn the feature off....... but, that just ain't an option.

So I have been messing around with things this morning trying to figure out why this is happening. I am almost convinced it has something to do with the size of the settlements or something. I have a ton of saves in this playthough and I have been loading them going back in the time frame. Seems at a certain point the freezing stops. If i look at what is going on in the game. At this point the settlements are growing pretty large and most i have turned the size up to like 200% I am guessing there are a lot of scripts running at this point and causing this issue some how. As I said I can load a save from before the settlements were large and it exits fine. I just don't know where or how to fix it...but I am pretty sure it has something to do with the size of the settlements and the number of scripts running or something.

So I have been messing around with things this morning trying to figure out why this is happening. I am almost convinced it has something to do with the size of the settlements or something. I have a ton of saves in this playthough and I have been loading them going back in the time frame. Seems at a certain point the freezing stops. If i look at what is going on in the game. At this point the settlements are growing pretty large and most i have turned the size up to like 200% I am guessing there are a lot of scripts running at this point and causing this issue some how. As I said I can load a save from before the settlements were large and it exits fine. I just don't know where or how to fix it...but I am pretty sure it has something to do with the size of the settlements and the number of scripts running or something.

It seems like one your mods is acting up (not necessary tied to settlement mods though especially if this exit freeze happens when your settlements are not loaded). You might want to enable Papyrus logging, to see if there are any suspicius functions calls or stacks there..

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like one your mods is acting up (not necessary tied to settlement mods though especially if this exit freeze happens when your settlements are not loaded). You might want to enable Papyrus logging, to see if there are any suspicius functions calls or stacks there..

I will try that as well....thanks for the info!

i assume this does not happen with a new low level save. i have the same problem with a level 250 save not closing until i close it with taskmanager.

with a new playthrough (now level 50) this problem is gone. but changing to the older 250 save it still exists with same mods loaded.

So the mystery continues....Ok so started a new play through just to test this issue...LOOT ran so all it well there. Started play through... all doing great...no CTD....exit save was fine. Leveled to 54 all working fine still. I go to the Combat Zone and clean house, get Cait as a companion and leave. Was going to take a break and did a hard save...worked fine. Went to exit to desktop....BAMMMM....Exit freeze. Had to go to task manager to close. I thought...well cool it must be something to do with the combat zone or cait....so loaded up an earlier save where there was no problem like at level 45 or so and same thing....long before the combat zone so that obviously had nothing to do with the exit freeze. So back to square one. Still no clue to the cause or the solution. Any ideas? Seems strange that it had exit freeze then I loaded a previous save that had zero problem exiting and it froze with it as well...wondering if it is a Video issue of some sort at this point.

Here is the script log when I get the exit to desktop freeze... I have absolutely no clue who the "Dr. Peter Haas is in the path...that path to the c drive is not my path to my c drive....Also that file "BirdCritterScript.psc" does not exist in my folder on my harddrive. Maybe that is causeing the freeze...it is looking for that file or something and freezes up because it is not there.

[06/01/2023 - 12:31:04AM] error: Property sceneToStartOnEnter on script StartStopSceneTriggerScript attached to (0C00EA60) cannot be bound because <nullptr form> (0C016040) is not the right type
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:36AM] VM is freezing...
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:36AM] VM is frozen
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:36AM] Saving game...
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:37AM] VM is thawing...
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:39AM] error: Failed to setup moving reference
stack:
[ (FF00A2F8)].BirdCritterScript.SplineTranslateToRefNode() - "<native>" Line ?
[ (FF00A2F8)].BirdCritterScript.flyToTree() - "C:\Users\Dr. Peter Haas\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\BirdCritterScript.psc" Line 438
[ (FF00A2F8)].BirdCritterScript.waiting.OnTimer() - "C:\Users\Dr. Peter Haas\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\BirdCritterScript.psc" Line 187
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:46AM] VM is freezing...
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:46AM] VM is frozen
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:47AM] Saving game...
[06/01/2023 - 12:31:47AM] VM is thawing...

i assume this does not happen with a new low level save. i have the same problem with a level 250 save not closing until i close it with taskmanager.

with a new playthrough (now level 50) this problem is gone. but changing to the older 250 save it still exists with same mods loaded.

Nope doesn't happen at all in low levels....started at Lvl 54 for me...read my earlier post...this is freaking strange....