Vortex lagging entire pc

brahminman
Go to solution Solved by brahminman,

For whatever reason whenever I install vortex it lags everything even when not running. I've done several uninstalls and reinstalls of it and can say with certainty that it is vortex doing it. I have no idea what it could possibly be doing or how it is doing so but every single time i have vortex on my computer, everything grinds to a halt. Webpages take minutes to open, Steam takes years to launch, the desktop and file explorer crash constantly. It doesn't make any sense and only happens with vortex so im hoping someone could tell me what it could be doing to my comp. to cause that. It did not do this previously and i have no idea what might have changed.

Edited by brahminman

Guest deleted34304850

can you describe your system? are you using any HDD's? how much RAM do you have? what's your GPU specs?

Just to try and understand if there are any system limitations at play.

also, in vortex, can you check to see if you have "Enable GPU Acceleration" enabled under settings, and see if disabling that helps you?

I have an HDD but the game and vortex are not on it, 16gb ram, and unfortunately still a 1060. It was working fine for a long time but for whatever reason vortex has decided to slow everything to a crawl now. Strange thing is that nothing is really being used when everything slows down. At most i was seeing 10% cpu usage and nothing else.

the drive isnt getting full and no it doesnt run at startup. it shouldnt affect anything while not running but for whatever reason it does. Ive tried using MO2 and that works (even though i hate it) without slowing my computer. Once i open vortex, it doesnt matter if i close it or not, the whole pc just slows to a crawl. I've even tried restarting after the slowdowns but it persists even through a full shutdown. I have 0 idea as to how or why it happens but after i uninstall vortex and restart things return to normal speed.

Guest deleted34304850

a program being installed but not executing cannot, will not and does not affect performance. you've conflated something to make it fit your assertion that vortex and vortex alone is slowing down your system. however, if its not running then its not causing the slowdown.

what basic checks have you done on your system?

is your drive fragmented? what have you got running at startup? what services are running? is your system up to date with drivers and maintenance? i mean, really, there's so much to check and you're fixated on a program that isnt active, slowing down your system.

that's not how computers work.

If Vortex has been open a while and you've been doing a lot of work with it, then the RAM usage will slowly climb till Vortex becomes unstable. This used to happen to me regularly. Nowadays I simply close and reopen Vortex every-so-often to avoid this issue.

To be fair, Vortex may have fixed this issue already. I wouldn't know if it's been fixed because till this day I still close and reopen Vortex regularly when I'm doing a lot of work with it.

Something like you described has happened to me when trying to download and install mods in the wee hours of the morning locally. I live in the US and the Nexus servers are located in the UK. Nexus might be doing something (like backups or other maintenance) at that time. The situation described by beebophuckleberry could explain this performance lag as well. I am retired and might have Vortex open for several hours per day modding and playing.

Where are Vortex and your games installed if they are not on your PC's hard drive (HDD)? Are you trying to run them from the cloud somehow?