⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Questions about Reinstalling Vortex

Go to solution Solved by beebophuckleberry,

I've been having a issue that is most likely human error. If anyone cares to see the full story you can find it here; https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/12806430-fonts-missing/

The short version of the story: Vortex is saying mods are redundant even though said mods are overwriting all files. I've already tried re-downloading and re-installing those mods, but every time I deploy Vortex still says those mods are redundant.

I've reinstalled everything, including; the game, creation kit, and all mods. I followed a clean install guide from Gamer Poets; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5uNCKOKmI

The only thing I have not re-installed is Vortex. Before I re-install Vortex, is there anyway to keep some of my settings? The settings I want to keep are load order settings and texture/mesh overwrite settings.

From your other thread you said you moved either the Download or mod staging folder WITHOUT Purging the mods first.
Now Vortex is still holding on to the mods you had installed when you moved the folder and continues to try to install them, and/or goes through the motions.

One of the problems is this "Uninstall/Reinstall" thing that everybody does because for some magical reason they believe it fixes anything, which most times, especially with Vortex (when you don't PURGE or uninstall the mods) can cause even bigger headaches.

The fact that some mods are saying they're redundant means that those mods are physically sitting in your GAME\DATA folder because when you moved the folder with them still installed, it BROKE the Hardlinks, and now they are Physically in the DATA folder, then, you went and redownloaded those mods, and reinstalled them, so now you have the mods physically in the DATA folder, AND you also have HARDLINKED Mods in the Mod Staging Folder AND the DATA folder, so Vortex is complaining they're redundant because They are.

Thanks for the reply HTR.

Yes, the first time I changed the install directory (which is when this issue began for me) I messed up, but now I understand why things were redundant at that point in time. But, since then, I've done the clean install.

Because of the clean install I don't see how those mods could still be in the data folder. This time I purged all mods before reinstalling Skyrim via Steam. I made sure that everything skyrim-related was removed from Steams install location, I removed all files from AppData, and I removed anything in My Documents. The data folder was deleted. Then I reinstalled the game and after that I began reinstalling mods. About 5% of the mods are still showing redundant, but I can't figure out why.

HTR, I would also assume mods are still in the Data folder. But, that folder was deleted and I checked it again after I did the clean install. After the clean install there was nothing in the Data folder except the clean install. To be safe, I had Steam verify the integrity of the files before I started adding mods back. The only mods I installed manually were engine fixes, skse, and enb.

The files that are showing as redundant are all texture or mesh files. None of which were added manually. All were only added through Vortex.

FML I dunno what to do lol

Thanks for the reply HTR.

Yes, the first time I changed the install directory (which is when this issue began for me) I messed up, but now I understand why things were redundant at that point in time. But, since then, I've done the clean install.

Because of the clean install I don't see how those mods could still be in the data folder. This time I purged all mods before reinstalling Skyrim via Steam. I made sure that everything skyrim-related was removed from Steams install location, I removed all files from AppData, and I removed anything in My Documents. The data folder was deleted. Then I reinstalled the game and after that I began reinstalling mods. About 5% of the mods are still showing redundant, but I can't figure out why.

HTR, I would also assume mods are still in the Data folder. But, that folder was deleted and I checked it again after I did the clean install. After the clean install there was nothing in the Data folder except the clean install. To be safe, I had Steam verify the integrity of the files before I started adding mods back. The only mods I installed manually were engine fixes, skse, and enb.

The files that are showing as redundant are all texture or mesh files. None of which were added manually. All were only added through Vortex.

FML I dunno what to do lol

Vortex might still be grabbing the mods from your old install directory.

Also, are you running Vortex as "Multi-User" or "Shared"?

If "Multi User" then (At least for me) Vortex stores it's stuff in C:\programData\Vortex, AND C:\users\YOUR NAME\appdata\roaming\Vortex or C:\users\YOUR NAME\appdata\roaming\BlackTree Gaming\Vortex

I looked for all three of the file locations you mentioned. Found two, but the third did not exist on my system. The two that did exist did not appear to have anything unusual.

I decided to take a closer look at Vortex settings to see if there is ANYTHING out of place. I noticed that deployment method was set to 'Move deployment (Experimental!)'.

IxQRL0k.png

I don't remember changing this setting, but at some point I must have changed it. It has now become my prime suspect because, not only does it say 'experimental!', but the description of this option says it actually puts the files in the destination directory. I'm assuming this means it's actually putting files into the install directory? Nonetheless, I'm going to do another clean install and purge everything. I'll change this Deployment Method option while I'm at it and see if it helps.

Edited by beebophuckleberry