Vortex is managing a mod for a game that isn't even installed.

SirTomatnik

My PC has been acting weird lately, so I decided to check all the things I got on it and when I reached Vortex I found out that, that it is managing one mod for Skyrim SE even though I don't have the game installed. Could this actually be causing problems? And if so, is there to way to fix this without having to reinstall Skyrim SE? Thank you for any help

The attached picture shows that one mod seems to be active despite the game not even being installed.

Do you have Oldrim installed? Might have grabbed a mod for SE by mistake?

How do you define 'acting weird'? :D

I don't have Oldrim installed, I have no games installed, by issues i mean my disc D sometimes gets lagged and it slows the entire PC and sometimes it causes incomplete shutdowns. This is why I assumed the issue must come from the Disc D and since that's where Vortex stored the mods for my games which I always put specifically put on that disc. Judging by your response, fixing this won't be a simple thing

Does Vortex start with windows? If it does, tell it not to do that, see if the problems go away.

Mechanical or solid state drive? if it's mechanical, might run something like HDDScan on it. (free, standalone, and gives a pretty picture of how your drive is.) If windows, or some app, is trying to hit the drive, and the drive is slow.... the whole PC slows down. (windows will dedicate its life to doing something that it simply cannot do..... get some weird behavior that way. :D )

Can you purge that particular mod from Vortex??

Does Vortex start with windows? If it does, tell it not to do that, see if the problems go away.

Mechanical or solid state drive? if it's mechanical, might run something like HDDScan on it. (free, standalone, and gives a pretty picture of how your drive is.) If windows, or some app, is trying to hit the drive, and the drive is slow.... the whole PC slows down. (windows will dedicate its life to doing something that it simply cannot do..... get some weird behavior that way. :D )

Can you purge that particular mod from Vortex??

Vortex doesn't start with Windows. Nothing on Disc D starts with Windows.

For the second paragraph I am sorry but I have no idea what you're even trying to say. Not your fault, I am idiot when it comes to any technology. Sorry

How do I purge that mod? I'm pretty sure I need to have the game installed to purge. Also I can't even tell what mod it is.

I'm sorry, as you can see It seems a person like me will have to be stuck with these issues sadly

Edit: One more thing, when I check the managed games, Vortex is giving me an option to "activate" Skyrim SE? what would this do? Could it help in any way?

Edited by SirTomatnik

Windows looks at the disk in any event at boot, just to see what, if anything, is there. :)

Your typical disk drive is mechanical, and works essentially like a record player. Spinning disks and other such like. They are old tech, and most machines are going to solid state drives. NO moving parts. MUCH faster than the old mechanical fellers. There is probably a YouTube vid that explains the differences better than I can in text. :D

Fire up Vortex, Select SkyrimSE, (click thru whatever other windows you have to.... and if you don't get any errors that stop you....) go to the mods tab, and in the toolbar above the mods listing, is "Purge Mods". That *should* make it go away. :D Then you can unmanage the game as well. (back on the games tab, click on the three dots on the game, and click on 'unmanage')

Theoretically, there is a way to "Reset" Vortex.... but, I don't know what it is, nor do I know where to find that particular option. :D

I am just curious why vortex thinks it should be managing a game that ain't there. :D I would expect THAT would toss some interesting errors. :D

Windows looks at the disk in any event at boot, just to see what, if anything, is there. :smile:

Your typical disk drive is mechanical, and works essentially like a record player. Spinning disks and other such like. They are old tech, and most machines are going to solid state drives. NO moving parts. MUCH faster than the old mechanical fellers. There is probably a YouTube vid that explains the differences better than I can in text. :D

Fire up Vortex, Select SkyrimSE, (click thru whatever other windows you have to.... and if you don't get any errors that stop you....) go to the mods tab, and in the toolbar above the mods listing, is "Purge Mods". That *should* make it go away. :D Then you can unmanage the game as well. (back on the games tab, click on the three dots on the game, and click on 'unmanage')

Theoretically, there is a way to "Reset" Vortex.... but, I don't know what it is, nor do I know where to find that particular option. :D

I am just curious why vortex thinks it should be managing a game that ain't there. :D I would expect THAT would toss some interesting errors. :D

Ok, but I think you missed the part where i said i don't have Skyrim SE installed. I can't look it up in vortex. I don't have it installed to get to the page where the purge button is.

Honestly just seems like an unsolvable issue at this point considering my knowledge. Rn I seriously regret ever getting into using mods.

Edited by SirTomatnik

If you don't have any Bethesda games installed, you could try disabling the Gamebryo extension and then re-enabling it to see if it makes a difference.

Yeah, no idea what that even means, sorry

Edited by SirTomatnik