(QUESTION) Mod Packs and Collections

marckinhos

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no point in you asking questions if you're not going to listen to the answers, if you want to contribute then instead of looking for loopholes allowing you to distribute other people's work you could try creating something yourself.

Will there be anything people get from installing your "modpack" that they wouldn't get by installing the same mods themselves individually. And anything about "ease of install" or "lack of redundancy" doesn't count.

If so, if you're adding original content by you that works with the rest of the "modpack", and if you pull off a miracle and get explicit permission by all the authors involved to include their content then the "modpack" would probably be allowed on Nexus Mods.

But, if the site things any of those requirements are not met then they will just delete the "modpack" and you will have wasted your time.

There is no point in you asking questions if you're not going to listen to the answers, if you want to contribute then instead of looking for loopholes allowing you to distribute other people's work you could try creating something yourself.

If you get easily annoyed by specific questions and don't feel like helping with answers, don't join a discussion.

Will there be anything people get from installing your "modpack" that they wouldn't get by installing the same mods themselves individually. And anything about "ease of install" or "lack of redundancy" doesn't count.

If so, if you're adding original content by you that works with the rest of the "modpack", and if you pull off a miracle and get explicit permission by all the authors involved to include their content then the "modpack" would probably be allowed on Nexus Mods.

But, if the site things any of those requirements are not met then they will just delete the "modpack" and you will have wasted your time.

Yes, original content, copyrighted content (already with permissions given), and some existing mods, some with a few modifications, others as they are. So, it'd be more like an overhaul, not like a pack then?

Don't ask me. I don't know what you're adding.

It's up to you to figure out whether you are making something new enough to stand on its own. Nobody can tell you in advance whether or not it will be acceptable, they'd need to see the results.

If you get easily annoyed by specific questions and don't feel like helping with answers, don't join a discussion.

Well that's just it, you HAVE the answers. And it's pretty much "No", you can't upload mod packs here. In all reality, I seriously doubt you would be able to put together much of a pack in any event. Mod packs got a bad name back when folks were doing them without any permissions, and simply uploading them to various sites. (but, not here.....) One of the major objections to collections was, they were viewed as 'mod packs 2.0', which they essentially are... however, folks have to visit each mod page and download it. (except premium members, but, that is a very tiny minority of membership here.)

And of course, taking another authors work, including it in YOUR mod, without permission, is also a violation of copyright. Some folks don't care, other folks simply aren't around any more to care, still other folks will allow you to do so, if you give them credit, etc. Including the entirety of someone elses mod in yours without permission, will get you banned here.

Guest deleted34304850

this isn't a discussion though, is it?

all you're doing is rehashing old ground thats been covered before many, many times.

bottom line - you can't do what you want to do, legally. but you don't think copyright law should apply to you and your idea. then there's the ethical side of things where you want to take peoples work and put it in YOUR collection so that YOU don't have to deal with vortex - but really any mod manager - and you're passing that off as some sort of "favour" to the community. (it 100% isn't).

it shows, from your side, a complete disregard for rules, laws and people's work. it shows you know nothing about modding, and how this idea is technically flawed from the get go. it shows you care less when people answer your banal questions in ways you don't like, which provokes you to ask the same question a different way.

been here, seen it, done it all before. people pop up with this unoriginal idea, it quickly falls apart then they disappear.

you cannot do what you want to do and publish it as a community endevor - at least - not here, but will that stop you?

As a general rule, we do not approve of "mod packs". In the File Submission Guidelines we say this:

Compilations must provide functionality beyond repackaging. In other words, an acceptable compilation must be "more than the sum of its parts".

So, if your "modpack" presents no benefit to the community (other than a single download) we would prefer not to host it here. It's unfair on the original authors (even if they grant permission) to lose the exposure of their page and stat increases (downloads earn them Donation Points!) for a bundle that is nothing other than a combined ZIP. It's also quite low-effort on the pack creator's part in that they haven't really done anything significant to assemble to pack. If we (and the mod authors) did allow this, you could imagine the chaos of having 200 pages containing various combinations of existing mods and that would drown out any original content.

These are some of the reasons why we created our Collections system the way we did. Most of the common questions are covered in the FAQ.

You're welcome to create your "modpack" as a Collection, or even as a text-based list of mods to download (but that should not be posted as a mod page). If you do have the permission for all mods and it's "more than the sum of it's parts" then it may be valid to post as a compilation, but I'd recommend you stick to getting the files from the original source for the benefit of those who put their time into creating the mods in the first place.

this isn't a discussion though, is it?

all you're doing is rehashing old ground thats been covered before many, many times.

bottom line - you can't do what you want to do, legally. but you don't think copyright law should apply to you and your idea. then there's the ethical side of things where you want to take peoples work and put it in YOUR collection so that YOU don't have to deal with vortex - but really any mod manager - and you're passing that off as some sort of "favour" to the community. (it 100% isn't).

it shows, from your side, a complete disregard for rules, laws and people's work. it shows you know nothing about modding, and how this idea is technically flawed from the get go. it shows you care less when people answer your banal questions in ways you don't like, which provokes you to ask the same question a different way.

been here, seen it, done it all before. people pop up with this unoriginal idea, it quickly falls apart then they disappear.

you cannot do what you want to do and publish it as a community endevor - at least - not here, but will that stop you?

You're so arrogant and toxic, how come you're even allowed to post here in this community?

A collection isn't stealing other people's works, a pack WITHOUT permission could be. I never said copyrights aren't important or "copyright law should apply to you and your idea" like YOU'RE accusing me, that I'm doing a "favor" to the community, you say I show a "complete disregard for rules, laws and people's work", that I'm being s*lly, that my questions are "banal", etc, those are all YOUR words and unfair accusations towards me. Keep your destructive critic and hate to yourself. You're not being of any help, just venting your stress into others.

I'm just asking questions in the community and searching for specific clarifications. I'm not bothering nor being disrespectful to anyone or any works here but you are totally being disrespectful towards me. If there are any rules in Nexus related to people being disrespectful towards others, then I hope they put your in your place.

Go throw your judgmental and negative energy somewhere else.