A life of gaming

mrsathletic

I think it's an important question. Any kids reading should know it is not a good way to live.

I've never had kids or a spouse and I'm doing great. Not everyone needs the expected narrative of marriage and kids to be happy. Most of my interactions are online and I'm perfectly okay. :)

• 1 month later...

I don't play nearly as much as I use to do, partly cause of other interests but mainly because I've found higher value in making stuff others can play and enjoy rather than to sit alone in singleplayer. I'm always thinking of new ideas, I'll just leave the playtesting to someone else.
Despite seemingly being the youngest in this thread (I began with a Playstation 1 haha), I've been going through the same two and a half year cycles of having a gaming friend group but then slowly it dissolves.

Last time I played a game was 8 days ago, I struggled to play more than an hour before uninstalling again. It's okay for a little bit but I highly doubt I'll be doing my 10 hour sprees or hitting thousands of hours like I use to. Some games like MMOs I realized I was only there for the social factor/community whilst the gameplay itself was pretty repetitive, when I had that social meter (Sims terminology) filled, I didn't need it as much anymore.

• 3 months later...

I'm turning 37 in 3 days and this topic is making me think. I started gaming at 4 and got my first console at 5 been playing ever since. Even though I'm currently single and have no kids I still lived a life outside of gaming. I had relationship and all that, but at the end of the day I still preferred gaming over all of that. I never felt that I absolutely need traveling the world, have kids, being married etc, I don't really think about it.

At the same time I don't play games anywhere near as much as I did when I was a kid, teenage and young adult. I can spend several weeks without touching a game and be perfectly fine with it. I love gaming, but it's not my whole life.