Why are all the boards on this site so inactive?

InDarkestNight

Here is an observation I made in the 15 or so months I been on here:

I see SO MANY really friendly , helpful and productive posts made by folks who have a "banned" marker next to their name.

Often these were the best members we had, not trolls!

yet some folks who are trolls are posting happily away and dont get banned.

As someone who has run large forums himself in the past, this is always a marker of a poorly/managed trained staff .

Staff on a forum exists to massage forums, encourage posting, make the occasional seed posts to start a new interest thread (because posts beget more posts!) and to turn lurkers into posters.

Never to enforce their own ideological proclivities on their members and banning those with "wrong" opinions. Or jumping to the defense of their own personal cliques.

In the forums I used to run, that was considered staff miscondcut and would lead to removal of Mod Status; if a due process exmanination by the Senior Admins found this to be the case.

Even though the forums here are IMO, a bit too split into too many subforums reducing synergy, Nexus forums still has such a dominant product, they should be super active because the website offers so much and is so well organized for thier downloads

The fact that it isnt and has lost activity in my opion as a forum admin for 20+ years, must almost certainly be laid at the feet of those staff members who go on ideological banning sprees.

Judging from those posts who those have a "banned" marker (excluding obvious spammers) its almost like being nice and helpful and not a troll is bannable offense here.

Shedding the most valuable members in this way will bring down any forum.

Its fearful to post on here at all, evene for me, when I see so many of the best members get banned.

If those pillars of the community can get banned, then what chance do I have, if I run afoul of a clique member?

Just a couple of notes:

Being helpful with games does not mean that you aren't also posting incredibly hateful comments against other users. Ban reasons are logged. If you wonder why a "pillar of the community" got booted, just go check. You'll find it's extremely consistent.

Also, none of the moderators are indulging their own cliques or political leanings. They are enforcing the rules of the forum that every member agreed to when they signed up. If you have issues with them, there's a process for complaints.

Just a couple of notes:

Being helpful with games does not mean that you aren't also posting incredibly hateful comments against other users. Ban reasons are logged. If you wonder why a "pillar of the community" got booted, just go check. You'll find it's extremely consistent.

Also, none of the moderators are indulging their own cliques or political leanings. They are enforcing the rules of the forum that every member agreed to when they signed up. If you have issues with them, there's a process for complaints.

Its not really plausible to me that folks that are so nice and respectful and helpful suddent are deemed "hateful".

In my experience this is almsot completely due pressures of ideological conformity.

Let's face it this site a a huge repuation for that.

Maybe it's undeserved , who knows, I dont have all the answers but my experience runnign large forums in the past gives me that gut feeling.

But I can tell you I myself am pretty fearful of posting on here anything that it not a smilie face or a screenshot form the game let I use my mod download priviledges.

These are the first couple of posts I made in the spirit of thise thread adults looking at causes and possible solutions.

I have toyed with the idea in the past of offfering my services as an unpaid consultant here, but then felt it wouldnt be appreciated.

I think the ideology you might be referencing is "don't be hateful". Anyone who doesn't "conform" to that "ideology" is shown the door. Lots of people have been shown the door for that recently. They aren't missed.

Hateful people can be helpful people at times, but they are still hateful. The good doesn't outweigh the bad.

This thread has run its course now and the OP has indicated he thinks it can now be locked. Thanks for all your feedback.