Skyrim Memory Patch - fixing ILS, uGrids CTD, freezes! (For REAL)

Aminados

Somehow, it seems this patch has caused a lot of issues for me. After installing it I started getting petty bad visual glitches, if I look at the ground the screen gets super dark, but any bright light and it gets SUPER bright, when IO use no ENBs or other mods that would do something like this... in addition I started getting crashes every 10~15 minutes when I normally only got them once every hour or two... Uninstalling the patch has not completely fixed the issue either it seems... I don't get it. ._.

EDIT; I confirmed it was this patch, I reloaded a clean save I made before installing and the game worked perfectly. Really bums me out this didn't work... Was hoping this was finally the thing to make uGrids stable enough for a playthrough at 7 or 9.

you HAVE to use an ENB with ENB Boost, at least thats what has been stated.

um, what are you even talking about? For one, ENBoost's speedhack function DISABLES the visual effect of any ENB, and physically CAN'T be used with one, and also I said nothing about ENBs OR ENBoost to begin with?.... :blink: Well, I mentioned that I don't have an ENB, because they are terrible, but that has nothing to do with what I was actually talking about

You have to use ENBoost with this patch, with or without an ENB. You should read the original post by Sheson on the ENB forum. Originally he thought you should have the expanded ugrids mod as well but then said no.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the fact that the original post that I saw said that ENBoost was required, I've been using the patched dll WITHOUT ENBoost (and without an ENB) and it has resolved several problems I'd been having, including CTDs when scrolling through crafting lists at a forge, and CTDs when crossing boundaries.

could this patch potentially help me build a follower army? i.e. 30-50 followers

Would be amazing if it could but Skyrim still limited to 3 GB ram.

Not if you use ENBoost. It creates a separate process that has it's own memory space and moves Skyrim data into it, so it doesn't have that limit. People are already using more than 3 GB of RAM (allegedly). I've already had a character participate in a 40 vs. 40 battle with no problems. It may support even more than that.

Edited by blitzen

Somehow, it seems this patch has caused a lot of issues for me. After installing it I started getting petty bad visual glitches, if I look at the ground the screen gets super dark, but any bright light and it gets SUPER bright, when IO use no ENBs or other mods that would do something like this... in addition I started getting crashes every 10~15 minutes when I normally only got them once every hour or two... Uninstalling the patch has not completely fixed the issue either it seems... I don't get it. ._.

EDIT; I confirmed it was this patch, I reloaded a clean save I made before installing and the game worked perfectly. Really bums me out this didn't work... Was hoping this was finally the thing to make uGrids stable enough for a playthrough at 7 or 9.

um, what are you even talking about? For one, ENBoost's speedhack function DISABLES the visual effect of any ENB, and physically CAN'T be used with one, and also I said nothing about ENBs OR ENBoost to begin with?.... :blink: Well, I mentioned that I don't have an ENB, because they are terrible, but that has nothing to do with what I was actually talking about

You have to use ENBoost with this patch, with or without an ENB. You should read the original post by Sheson on the ENB forum. Originally he thought you should have the expanded ugrids mod as well but then said no.

People are using this patch without ENBoost. It's not actually required. I think it limits what the patch can do it you don't use ENBoost. He may have listed that as required because he didn't want people blaming his patch when they crashed because they exceeded the total memory that the Skyrim process can use. There is no actual dependency between them. Unless all these people are playing a joke on us (which I doubt).

Edited by blitzen

Well, have you tried the patch while using ENBoost?

very strange yesterday it seemed to be working, now I checked and the boxes are both 256 mb and not 512 and 256. I tryed almost everything but I can't seem to change the size. can anybody help me?

edit: nevermind I searched a lot and downloaded a non steam edition. I didn't know you needed steam edition for the others. well I hope it's working now.

There is no legal non-steam version to download.

Banned - TVD.

I think for anyone who has been modding Skyrim for a long time has been traumatized by freezes and CTD's know how I feel with what I'm about to say. I've only been modding Skyrim for a year and already had my fair share of the crash course (no pun intended) introduction of how to get Skyrim working kinda good with the occassional CTD here and there. Everything from Tes5Edit cleaning of files, texture optimization, batched patches, merging plugins that have no scripting, load order sorting, reading every drop of info on mods to make sure they are compatiable with eachother, cpu unparking, ENBoost, safety load, ini tweaks ... the list goes on.

I seriously thought all hope was lost after I re-modding my Skyrim just this last week starting over at square 1 and still getting some really lame CTD's ... I was about to throw in the towel and just retire from Skyrim and wait for Elder Scrolls VI hoping it would be 64 bit enabled. Then I saw this patch. Is it fair for me to say I thought it was too good to be true? I mean c'mon Skyrim not crashing with mods like like saying cars don't need tires ...

But it is true =)

I used just the default settings and all I can say is I am in shock. No really, I ran around from riverwood to whiterun, up mountains near whiterun then back to riverwood and helgen and then back again all while fighting a bunch of crap and sprinting most of the time. For the first time I actually got to QTD (quit to desktop) using the in-game UI instead of getting a CTD. I ran around a good 30-45 mins and not even a stutter, I seriously thought after CTD'ing for months the game was about to blow any minute but it didn't. I have a lot of graphical mods like flora overhaul, 2k textures, and ENB so it was nice to actually enjoy it all without ctd's in the back of my mind. I think for the first time in my Skyrim modding experience I felt like I was PLAYING a game and not cringing every battle or every corner when the next CTD might happen.

I have a really nice pc so I was always frustrated this game was held back due to it's engine. This patch is really great and I think it's going to make a lot of Skyrim people happy. More play time and less sitting at the desktop seeing what went wrong doing voodoo tricks hoping the CTD gods won't ruin your next play session haha

I'm running over 200 mods - probably closer to 225. Most of those are textures. Skyrim HD 2K, Pure Waters, hi-res sky and moon mods, CoT and pretty much every armor mod I could find for CBBE, Convenient Horses (the lag on using this mod is completely gone since using the patch), aMidian, Flora Overhaul, Grass on Steroids, hi-res dragons, deadly dragons...

Before memory patch: Had the occasional CTD when loading a new cell or interior. This usually occured every half hour to 45 minutes of playing. Frames would drop occasionally to the low teens for no apparent reason, especially when turning - possibly loading textures for terrain. However, this occured even when I had just viewed said terrain - I turn my camera, the FPS dropped to 8-13 FPS. This occurred with or without ENB enabled. Finally removed ENB just to try to maintain a framerate above 30FPS, with limited success. Any time I "zoned" or transitioned cells, it would easily drop to 3 FPS or less for a short while. So, I'm running just the SKSE version here, no ENBoost.

I do realize the memory patch will not per se work to improve FPS; it was just something I had noticed as the major difference (other than dreading cell transitions) after enabling the settings. It was drastically noticable. Tested for 1 hour this morning. Now, smooth as butter. Played through the entire Soul Cairn questline, Arvak, Durnhviir battle, no hitches. In fact, I actually forgot to check my FPS, because everything was running smoothly and at no point did I experience a frame drop - not with inventory, spell effects, a dozen mobs active. These things would always give little... "hitches" or drops in FPS, and now just don't frigging happen at all. Finished the quest, zoned back to the castle, was able to immediately move without any 1.3 FPS at load into a new area.

Seriously, the reason I forgot to check actual meters is because I was just able to play the frigging game, for the first time since owning it, without being thrown out of immersion. For system reference, I'm running a quad core AMD CPU at 3.0 GHZ and 8 GB RAM, 7850 ATI card with 2GB VRAM. This is being run off of an SSD. There was NO reason for the hitches. I applied every fix I could find in STEP, every ini tweak, every setting even vaugely mentioned in some forum.

I'll update with specifics when I get home tonight. I may also re-install my ENB presets, because I'm pretty sure I'm running over 60FPS.