Linux platform gamers - what are you playing?

zixi

3 hours ago, dovahkiinbear164 said:

Then nvidia drivers stopped supporting some code resulting in some games no longer functioning on certain GPUs, so I kept losing games I could run on Windows because of that too. Linux has been refreshingly functional.

I've always used ATI/AMD cards myself -- less a conscious choice, and more just kinda how it worked out with my budget and setups when building or upgrading my PCs.  Which worked out well with my current PC, since I gather AMD cards tend to work somewhat more easily with Linux anyway.

3 hours ago, dovahkiinbear164 said:

When I search other's experiences I see people running into a lot of problems for other games

Well, people whose games worked flawlessly or with minimal issues probably don't post as much about it.  Which is another reason why I'm glad we've had this thread going -- and why I appreciate all the "Working out of the box" or "with minor tweaks" posts on ProtonDB.* 

* Note to self, go post about a recently-installed game over there after this. 😜

Edited by AaronOfMpls
italics on wrong word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mkh97 said:

I'm very glad to be rid of Windows and all its bloatware. 50% of my CPU being used to collect telemetry on Windows when I am gaming? No thanks, forget it. Linux it is.

I 110% agree. I went to college for programming and in my studies I took an operating systems class(OS 161). That was a real eye opener about how small of a footprint an OS can have and how simple they are behind the scenes. When I swapped to Linux I was able to see that efficiency first hand. It's very nice to not have to babysit my OS just so I can play a game to it's full capacity.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 3:52 PM, mkh97 said:

I'm very glad to be rid of Windows and all its bloatware.

On 3/6/2024 at 5:24 PM, dovahkiinbear164 said:

When I swapped to Linux I was able to see that efficiency first hand. It's very nice to not have to babysit my OS just so I can play a game to it's full capacity.

Same here!  After four years of daily-driving Linux, I can't say I miss Windows much -- especially since my last, most 'important' stumbling block (my Mod Organizer setups for my Bethesda games) has finally fallen. 😀  My current PC boots up way faster than my old Win7 one ever did (though part of that is having the OS on an SSD) -- and my boot time has barely slowed, even after four years of updates.  My games run better without an ever-present antivirus looking over their shoulder -- and I'm careful about what I do online and what I install or open, so I can keep it that way.*  And as I already said before, my old 1990s Windows games actually run better in Wine than they did on Windows 7.

* Between Firefox and its cross-site security settings, and NoScript and an ad blocker, I figure I'm less at risk for drive-by downloads on random sites ... assuming one even knows what to do in Firefox on Linux (instead of Chromium-based browsers on Windows or Android).  And due to lack of money in the 2000s, I'd stuck with my old Win98 box for wayyy too long, to the point that up-to-date antivirus wouldn't run on it anymore.  So I'd done without by being very careful for a couple years, until I could afford a new PC.

Edited by AaronOfMpls
  • Like 1

I don't think about the OS now. It's just a series of things I do and they happen to sit on an OS. It's what I like about Linux. I like the terminal too. It's a more fundamental part of the system. on Windows it always felt stuck on and as for the Mac... I haven't used that as a PC since the days when you could actually get inside and do stuff still... What I saw of it on iPad was that it was quite difficult to do that anymore without a can-opener. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hey!

I play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with Horn of the Abyss, also Gothic 2 Gold ofc., i run H3 with Lutris, Gothic with steam and Proton. I wanted to play Skyrim again, and interest with my mods but i can't make Skyrim work on my Linux Mint... Any help is appreciated!

48 minutes ago, fgem said:

Skyrim work on my Linux Mint

Are you talking Skyrim or SkyrimSE? And is this through Steam or not. I run both via Steam (thus through Proton) and without any issues but I'm on Ubuntu (Mantic Minotaur). However, I do have a machine with Mint on... There are definitely other Minty people here though so they might be able to help... Might be useful if you can say where the problem is... Sometimes it just isn't possible to say though...

Haven't played M&M for years... 🙂

Hey Zixi!

This is SE, and one of my friends has no problem with running it on Mint via Steam and Proton. For me only works for first playing... The game starts, but at the second start nothing happens....

2 hours ago, fgem said:

Issue solved, Skyrim runs now! Just had to change to Proton 5.13-6...

The different versions can sometimes cause issues. It's awkward in that sometimes one game prefers a particular version. And it's always best to try that and to get Steam to validate the files first before you start raking about in the entrails.  Congrats on solving it and it's always nice when people say what they did because it can help other people . Some are too shy to ask...

• Like 1