Linux platform gamers - what are you playing?

zixi

3 hours ago, zixi said:

The different versions can sometimes cause issues.

True.  Though experiment a little too; I've had some games crash on the default setting, but run happily with seemingly any specific Proton version, so long as I just pick one in the game's Steam settings.

Edited by AaronOfMpls

On 3/8/2024 at 10:20 PM, AaronOfMpls said:

My current PC boots up way faster than my old Win7 one ever did

Isn't it insane how fast Win7 boots compared to the newer Windows versions? I tend to do all the computer fixing in the house and I had an old 10+ year old laptop on Win 7 on a HDD that booted faster than the Alienware laptop I was on with Win 10 on a SSD. It blew my mind. I'm glad I've been able to achieve fast boot times on Linux.

On 3/9/2024 at 4:42 AM, zixi said:

I like the terminal too. It's a more fundamental part of the system. on Windows it always felt stuck on

I agree. The terminal is what makes Linux so much fun and, in my opinion, much more efficient. I don't miss having to dig around on a program's official website for the correct and latest download link. I can just pop a command in the terminal and be all set. And Window's terminal was a bit clunky to use. In college, I stubbornly stuck with Windows just to get used to working with its command line. Most everyone else was on MacOS. I stubbornly wanted to proved anything that could be done with command lines can be done on Windows in a similar way, and pretty much anything I tackled could be done on the command line. Just, Linux's commands are much more intuitive. I don't miss a single thing of Windows though.

3 hours ago, AaronOfMpls said:

True.  Though experiment a little too

I personally find the newer versions of Proton to work best for my games, like Proton 7+. The older versions might be a bit more stable, but sometimes the updates in the newest versions with help things function better. Like, in Planet Crafter, I was mostly using Proton 7, but I decided to test Proton 8. To my surprise, there were icons that weren't displaying in Proton 7 that displayed perfectly in Proton 8 for some reason! Haha. I didn't see any other major differences, but it's good to test things out. Proton 8 runs MO2 a lot faster for me as well, especially when reorganizing the install order, and I never would have known if I didn't give it a shot.

• Like 1

It's really nice that you're having such a positive experience @dovahkiinbear164 . I don't think about the OS much these days as it stays in the background where it ought to be. And the best part is that the computer feels like it's mine. I really didn't enjoying paying Apple and MS for using my own computers when they had so much of their stuff on it. 😛  I managed to remove quite a lot of stuff from my tablet but it complains sometimes that it might not be able to work properly. Linux never ever tells me I *have* to use something. Actually, the tablet is out of guarantee now and I am seriously thinking wiping it and trying to install some kind of Linux OS...  That'll teach it! 😛

• Like 2

I have Skyrim SE now, but sadly i can't manage to make the music and the voices work... i tried almost everything what people suggested, no success..... the skyrim-se-audio-fix, installing FAudio, xact, changing to Alsa instead Pulseaudio, nothing.... i guess i will just stay at the original Skyrim for now...

Which version of Proton are you using? When SkyrimSE was first released we had a problem with audio on Linux but GloriousEggroll fixed it via Proton. And eventually Steam caught up. It was to do with how SE used sound - it required some MS product that wasn't available to Linux if I remember correctly so eventually there was a Linux solution.  Linux sound is a can of worms in any case  if you want my opinion (maybe you don't!). They are working on it and it will one day be less of a can of worms but at the moment I think it's still awkward. 

I had a continuing issue with sound even after the fix . It would revert to some sound preference it had and sound on SkyrimSE would drop out. But it's fine now - or at least it was the last time I looked. I haven't played SkyrimSE for several months as I'm now (re) obsessed with Morrowind.

Which Linux flavour are you using? I am on Ubuntu on this machine and I go with whatever the latest version is (Mantic Minotaur at the moment).  I'm assuming that sound is OK away from SkyrimSE as you say Skyrim is fine...  I'll test SkyrimSE on this machine to see if it is still OK... and I'll look at which version of Proton I'm using. The Proton version issue is an easier fix - I always prefer easy fixes...

edit - If I go quiet it's because we have the most appalling (ADSL) connection at the moment. It keep dropping out. I haven't even been able to bore people with my screenshots! Anyway, Steam is now downloading like there's no tomorrow... I could be some little time before I can actually launch anything!  😲

8 minutes ago, zixi said:

Linux sound is a can of worms in any case  if you want my opinion (maybe you don't!). They are working on it and it will one day be less of a can of worms but at the moment I think it's still awkward. 

Indeed.  Thankfully it's kinda just worked for me with my hardware and Manjaro Linux (*knocks on wood*).  But I've still had the occasional small issue, like the volume control in the first You Don't Know Jack game not working at all.  (Though to be fair, that one could be a little wonky even in Windows.)

@AaronOfMplsComplex systems can be wonky sometimes I guess.

Anyway, SkyrimSE is fine on Ubuntu Mantic Minotaur (after Steam spent ages updating as I say, haven't played on Steam in a while). I'm apparently using Proton Experimental.  Sound is fine. 

Ooh, i didn't try Proton GE yet, only Skyrim Proton, and what Steam offered ( all Protons ). Also someone told me about Proton Plus... i am new 😄

1 hour ago, fgem said:

i am new

So was I once! 😛 I think the paint's a bit tarnished now! 😄 Let us know how it goes!

CTD... Only Proton for Skyrim SE works, but if i do that i don't have music and voices. I tried the latest GE Proton ( 9-2 ), the launcher runs, but when i press Play the game crashes to desktop. Same goes to other Protons...