User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

I would love to see an eventual "compact mode" for people who like to take in a lot of information at once. A lot of the info on the current page feels... big. It takes up a lot of space.

• Like 3

Hya, felow web designer here with some feedback:

• the PREMIUM label under the profile picture feels very lost, frankly I'm not sure why this needs to be public facing information? It's not like premium refers to modding quality or anything similar, it's just a paid for service. If you must, I think something similar to the twitter blue checkmark design would work better and would be more minimal.
    image.png.65473794e1810eedd1c9594bd016b987.png
  • The filter and sort drop downs have inconsistent styles.
    image.thumb.png.7a4f820c8229f16cf72cf11228bcbb49.png
  • Donate button lacks hover state.
  • white on orange is very poor for contrast, I'd suggest tweaking the orange, or swapping the white to black.
    image.png.cf138c03f03fd57f962eaa272fb3451d.pngimage.png.b8b39e716950e8677d83d7b94d928517.png
  • The labels next to the tabs are too small (compared to the heading size) and close to the headings.
  • The tab font size is massive. In general there seem to be too many font sizes and styles on this page. I'd look into seeing if a lot of the hierarchy can't be grouped into the same font size with different font weight/opacity.
  • I don't understand why endorsements given needs to be a public stat. I'd replace that with the donate button from the sidebar, perhaps with a tooltip on hover that mentions the 100% proceeds bit.
  • Related, but Kudos is not explained as a metric. I think these stats should have a tooltip explaining what they are.
  • I think the sidebar, while nice on paper, ends up using a lot of space for not a lot of useful information. I suggest a topbar with the avatar, username, verified mod author, profile views, kudos and a download and track button for CTAs, which can get compacted to just an icon while scrolling to make for a more compact sticky heading. that way you've got the full width available rather than just 3 columns.
  • country flag unicode emoticon not showing up correctly on Windows 11, might I suggest using an emoji font such as twemoji rather than relying on system support?
    image.png.259d03f770cc1d1b1e9bde609874e4ed.png
  • It's been mentioned but profile picture resolution needs to increase, or the avatar size needs to decrease. My profile picture looks like a minecraft server thumbnail.
  • Icon size within cards is inconsistent, the thumbs up icon looks much larger than all other icons, then the download icon is just a bit smaller, then everything else is about the same size.
  • While I dig the profile picture style-wise, it doesn't need to be this big or take up precious space from the card image. Might I suggest just having it inlined next to the username, if at all?
  • Outlines on the cards look distracting, I'd remove them. The entire card already has a hover state so it's clear enough that it's interactive.
  • Some of the spacings look a bit awkward, why are those last updated and uploaded metrics closer to the separator than to the description?
    image.png.3544743a2c7f56f53c7eee4c65094eec.png
  • Looks like the entire card is interactive, which is nice if you care about the mod, but what if I want to go to that game instead, or that mod category? maybe even the author profile? all that functionality is gone.
  • It's been mentioned but the element to fill the vertical space should be the description, not the heading, so you don't end up with that huge gap under the title on rows with highly different mod name lengths.
  • The game picker list visually has huge gaps between rows, not enough of a gap between the icon and the game name, and the images are not recognizable at that game size. It should also probably not show games that the author doesn't have mods for.
  • Generally this overuses all caps fonts, keep in mind that all caps is not good for readability.

Also as a suggestion, having the ability to pin mods so that users who look at a modders profile can see the mods the author deems most important at the top would be neat.

Finally I will give some positive feedback as well:

• Sleek general look, I like the donate section too, especially with the 100% proceeds going to the author bit;
  • I like the look of the verified mod author + metrics row look, good use of the tooltip on the verified mod author section too;
  • good visual hierarchy colour wise within each card.

Overall I think it's a sidegrade so far, as others have posted fonts seem much larger than before, especially with mod titles, but i think there is potential. The old material design look is a bit dated now.

• Like 4

hey i just wanted to say that new blacker version of the profile looks and scroll much better

my previous issues with the list of mods and media tab remain

on top of that i noticed media/videos have nothing in it

however the biggest would be sort by most recent/recently updated by default it makes things a lot better than keeping promoting my most popular s#*!

my most popular things are already popular...

10 minutes ago, CrithionLoren said:

The old material design look is a bit dated now.

Still better readable, presents more mods per screen and more compact at that.

--

New UI "About me" page looks actually somewhat better and more compact with relation to how much information it actually has. Agree with your avatar picture points.

Thinking about it one thing I forgot to mention (thanks for indirect reminder) is that it's unclear what "Verified author" is supposed to mean and why is it one of main "metrics" on the main profile page?

• Like 1

Just now, IllusiveMan196 said:

Still better readable, presents more mods per screen and more compact at that.

I mean hopefully the rest of my feedback makes it clear that that comment was about the look, not the UX.

Are you guys looking for any feedback?

I love everything but it would be great to be able to Center text and images and to be able to place separate images next to each other this is a feature I have been hoping to see for a while on the collection descriptions.

But great job guys loving all the new site additions.

We are losing something critical: when I look at a user's mods, I need to be able to see which ones I've downloaded, and which of those have been updated since I last downloaded.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wipeout said:

We are losing something critical: when I look at a user's mods, I need to be able to see which ones I've downloaded, and which of those have been updated since I last downloaded.

Yes, indeed the feature (and dare I say one of core features at that) is missing. Testing on my own page and there aren't any mentions of mods being downloaded by me (yes, sometimes I do that to work on exactly the same version that user complains about).

Should default to recently added like usual rather than most downloaded

Also everyone just goes to mods section immediately anyway so it should default to that rather than about me. Feels like when youre opening presents on your 12th birthday but first you have to read the cards all heartfelt before you can start ripping up paper and opening gifts.