User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

It's looking great but maybe make it fill out the page on the sides more also 4 banners guys that is a little overkill.

Would it be possible to add in a bit more contrast for borders? if possible the option to change certain border color settings as well?

I am color blind to certain hues and have problems with contrast at times. Im sure there are others as well and due to the nature of this issue different people have different issues with colors. so having a range of colors and/or hue options would be highly appreciated for text, borders, Background color, and other aspects, Thank you

Edited by tooya777
forgot to add "background as this is important ffor other visual impairments
  • Like 3

Thanks! I really like it, It's prettier than the classic UI and more informative, But there's a bit of lag while scrolling and the UI elements are a bit bigger than my comfortable size.

The Markdown editor for the About Me page is seriously lacking features compared to the editor for the About Me page on the forum side (why are they different? It's so confusing!). In particular, it seems impossible to insert in-line images, or to make images left or right aligned. Come on, this is basic HTML! I was able to do it in 1995. It is very disappointing that such simple formatting is lacking in 2024.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

The Markdown editor for the About Me page is seriously lacking features compared to the editor for the About Me page on the forum side (why are they different? It's so confusing!). In particular, it seems impossible to insert in-line images, or to make images left or right aligned. Come on, this is basic HTML! I was able to do it in 1995. It is very disappointing that such simple formatting is lacking in 2024.

This seriously grinds my gears too. I am not the most tech savvy (maybe above average) but I want at least basic html. I'd love if we could have personal CSS too, maybe a Premium/Supporter feature?

Visually it "kind of" looks like an upgrade but functionality and performance seems to be a downgrade and for what? To make it more "mobile" friendly X /

Is the user majority so shallow they only need things to look shiny, be able to post images, videos and emojis, and nothing else matters? Or is this what sites and companies assume what the user majority only needs?

Edited by HollownessDevoured
  • Like 1

User location under profile is redundant.  For instance, mine spells out United States, and next to that there is US.

After reading through this topic, I'd suggest making a better balance between the desire to improve the site for phone usage and for the overwhelming greater use of Nexus for PC desktop users.  A compromise could be placing the username and related info horizontally at the top as before and using that space, at least, for one more Mod in the rows.  There really is way too much empty wasted space in the suggested design.  Even putting essentially blank colorful banners (at the top) is wasted IMO. Put the profile pic, etc. there.   Phone users need tidiness too--even more so than desktop users really.  Scrolling, scrolling, scrolling looking at ads and empty space will quickly make me close out a page on my smartphone.  This page is mostly used so members can see user and mod info.  Particularly mods. since that is why most of us are here. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NexBeth said:

User location under profile is redundant.  For instance, mine spells out United States, and next to that there is US.

The "US" bit is a placeholder which will eventually be replaced by a flag icon/image. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HollownessDevoured said:

This seriously grinds my gears too. I am not the most tech savvy (maybe above average) but I want at least basic html. I'd love if we could have personal CSS too, maybe a Premium/Supporter feature?

Visually it "kind of" looks like an upgrade but functionality and performance seems to be a downgrade and for what? To make it more "mobile" friendly X /

Is the user majority so shallow they only need things to look shiny, be able to post images, videos and emojis, and nothing else matters? Or is this what sites and companies assume what the user majority only needs?

@LenaWolfBravil

We are very much aware that the Markdown editor has less formatting options versus what the forum (and main website) have. It's a concern that the Community Managers (JTK, Happybara,  Demorphic, and I) make sure we frequently discuss in the team. At present we're just using the new editor "as-is" which was developed for Collection pages. I could be wrong but I believe the both of you have previously complained about the editor on mod pages (which is the "old" editor in this context) - I think it's fair to say that even though it lacks some features using the new editor is a much nicer experience. 

User profiles are a fairly "low traffic" page compared to other parts of the website, so we've gone ahead with Markdown only for the About Me. However, once we get to moving over Mods it'll be much more important that the existing formatting is disrupted as little as possible. Whether we carry on down the Markdown route (and add a few new options) or look at alternatives is still undecided. Whatever we do end up building will (hopefully) be backported to other parts of the new site (About Me, Collections, Comments). 

8 minutes ago, Pickysaurus said:

However, once we get to moving over Mods it'll be much more important that the existing formatting is disrupted as little as possible.

This is exactly the reason I bring it up. Besides, I don't agree that About Me pages are unimportant. This is the "face" of the mod author.

I am glad you guys realise that there is a problem with the editors. The editor that you now have on the forum side seems good enough to me. The Markdown editor is however currently insufficient.

EDIT: I did the exercise of updating both profiles today in order to test the editors. Just have a look at the difference. It's the same text but one also has pictures while the other one doesn't.

Edited by LenaWolfBravil
  • Like 2