User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

1 minute ago, AaronOfMpls said:

Maybe an orange icon in a corner of the picture, that echoes the orange "Downloaded" banner from the old layout.

That's not bad idea having a mixture of old and new.

19 hours ago, lilebonymace said:

While hidden and unpublished mods there will be quite useful since you won't have to go to a separate page ("My Mods") to see them, showing removed mods there doesn't make any sense. They just clutter the space and you can't do anything with them. You can't even undelete them in which case it would make sense, you can only see them with the "removed" status. Or at least make it possible to hide them if you by some reason want to make them visible to the mod author. In my own profile they take like half of the space, since i have plenty of them. The only good thing about removed mods being displayed is the nostalgia when i saw my first mods from 2018-2019 that i removed, but i also had reasons to remove them and i don't want to see them each time i open my profile.

19 hours ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

So "My Content" (called "My Mods" from the ribbon menu on the mods site, by the way) is the place for mod authors to manage their content. Ok. Then I still don't see the point of having deleted mods listed on the profile, since they cannot be undeleted.

My question about "My Content"/"My Mods" page was rather about the layout. Is it going to follow the same layout as the profile? Or is it going to be completely different? Because if it is going to be based on the profile, then it is important to get the profile right also for your own pages, not just for other people's pages.

18 hours ago, HollownessDevoured said:

^This.

edit: and it looks bad.

Sorry, that isn't the point of course users can't see it.

Profile user file pages are showcases; not a file dashboards/managing tool.

Honestly, I want user profile page to look as if it was for all users so I don't have to log out to see it. I as a modder sometimes review the classic profile/files page to see if I want to update placeholder images and such to keep it clean and attractive looking, I cannot do that under the beta version and really, makes me hate the page all together. Not to be a negative Nelly over this but it is beyond the ugly for me.

Also to bring it up yet again, the beta is too dark (even compared to the forums). Is it possible to make the darkest colour the endorsement/view/kudos button colour? The intense black almost taking up the entire page is too much of a contrast different even compared to other night mode themes displays for google chrome, reddit, etc. I mean unless you are bringing back your background or something.

14 hours ago, Qrsr said:

Why do we even have to discuss this its like the entire site is build by non-modding designers right now.

To clarify on this point, it is not intentional that authors can see hidden, deleted or removed content on their own profiles. The intention is that you use the 'My Content' pages for his purpose.

However, the moderators and site staff do not have access to your individual 'My Content' pages, so they do need to see your hidden, deleted or removed content on your profiles (for moderation reasons). Authors seeing that content on the Beta is just a result of development in progress and is not intended for full release. Hopefully that clarification makes sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Qrsr said:

Why do we even have to discuss this its like the entire site is build by non-modding designers right now.

13 hours ago, HollownessDevoured said:

This is how I am feeling, I mean I know the users are the customers, but the modders are providing the free product (and I don't even opt into DP), I think we would be in more consideration. 

If anything for every modder who votes how mod pages/mod file structure/mod anything works should be look; should have more weigh-in that just an average user viewer/downloader. Not that users are not appreciated (you have no idea how much I try to appease and please users modding wise), but interface wise I am at the site editing mod pages/articles for hours (yes hours, some days on and off 12+ hours when about to publish/republish/rework a mod) and viewing my profile page to make it more and more user appeasing but as the modder's perspective. 

So eye bleeding contrast, oversized displays, unwanted displays, mobile looking "upgrades" isn't exactly a visual improvement. Though I am sure as a dev the site upgrades are heavily needed on their end for maintenance and upkeep. As someone who spends way too much time on this site, to express my modding passion—I feel a little like modders' perspective is being downplayed. And I am overly voicing this now (sorry if I am overly squeaky wheeling this) it's because my actual worry is more mod pages and articles. If we can't nail down profiles mod display I will be very worried as what is to come!

If you are actually disagree with this I'd say you are actually not on the site as long as active modders are. Or have not actively modded and managed mods enough to understand. Sorry for ranting but this is really bumming me out X /

13 hours ago, Qrsr said:

The UI isnt bad the real interesting features which we have "discussed" many times are still not unlocked. Copy paste old layout, its damn easy, tbh...

This discussing is about 1 month old, some improvements yes, but hey, with this kind of progress in 1 month, this will take forever.

I'm sorry to hear that this new development and feedback process might not be working for you. The intention was to be more open and engaging about what we're doing and how we're dong it. If we're not managing to achieve that, we'll go back to the drawing board and rethink our approach.

Unfortunately, the speed at which we develop isn't something that can be easily improved. Good development takes time and I'm far more focused on high quality in the end product as opposed to shipping broken products fast.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:27 AM, Iluviel said:

I'm sorry to hear that this new development and feedback process might not be working for you. The intention was to be more open and engaging about what we're doing and how we're dong it. If we're not managing to achieve that, we'll go back to the drawing board and rethink our approach.

Unfortunately, the speed at which we develop isn't something that can be easily improved. Good development takes time and I'm far more focused on high quality in the end product as opposed to shipping broken products fast.

That is more than understandable, many suggestions and concerns are and are not addressed. I have noticed some top concerns were addressed in some fashion as the updates/updates to come list JustThatKing posts. But colour contrast, overall oversized look (even compared to classic, it is 10% overall larger), having 4 instead of 5 mod tiles, image cropping/scaling for mod thumbnails not applied to beta (but is in classic). Have not been addressed.

I hope that means it just hasn't gotten to that part of the list of devs' priorities but I haven't seen mention of these (but I could have missed it the thread is getting on in size). Which just concerns me enough to speak up about it again and again. Hoping we'll eventually get some crumbs of information on these.

I have patience to work with platform migrations and site updates (I have done it before), but it is a long task, and I am not sure how many users will have the patience to run along side nexus for the following months to year. Some might just give up and accept anything after a while, or won't accept/move on (neither a great result IMO).

Sadly, a portion of feedback is the same 1-3 concerns already addressed that will be solved, or people who just think it looks great; most probably do not spend as much time on the site as an active modder who ends up staring at the nexus screen for hours structing mod pages and articles.

Then more unique and like minded concerns (that so far seem to be by actual modders) are only once in a while getting addressed, making these concerns crop up again and again, louder and louder. Then ignite a little burst of harsher criticism feedback.

Lastly and this might sound silly, but it might be helpful to the devs/staff if "Verified Mod Authors" have a tag in the forums (like under their member status tag), because you may want to pay a bit more attention to their feedback during the site upgrade and other site feedback concerns. They just utilize more site features and are more in the editing/adding content UI/tools, than those just downloading/viewing the site.

Edited by HollownessDevoured
fixed sentence structure

47 minutes ago, HollownessDevoured said:

Lastly and this might sound silly, but it might be helpful to the devs/staff if "Verified Mod Authors" have a tag in the forums (like under their member status tag), because you may want to pay a bit more attention to their feedback during and site feedback concerns. They just utilize more site features and are more in the editing/adding content UI/tools, than those just downloading/viewing the site.

Was thinking exactly the same thing.  I also think mod users may also find it useful knowing that while conversing in forums.  It is a bit of an advertisement for mod authors.

As for generally displaying unpublished mods, that might be useful for some modders (and users following mod author works) as long as it was optional to use for modders.  I wouldn't mind showing that for upcoming mod publications (as long as it is optional).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iluviel said:

I think you missed my point. Im not complaining about speed, im complaining about multiple issue reports, which are probably far less of a problem to change (e.g. color swap, ui). you might have your priorities but this is something you can say. no problem with that. and when i read your posting about hidden mod content it is more transparent for me now:

10 hours ago, Iluviel said:

To clarify on this point, it is not intentional that authors can see hidden, deleted or removed content on their own profiles. The intention is that you use the 'My Content' pages for his purpose.

However, the moderators and site staff do not have access to your individual 'My Content' pages, so they do need to see your hidden, deleted or removed content on your profiles (for moderation reasons). Authors seeing that content on the Beta is just a result of development in progress and is not intended for full release. Hopefully that clarification makes sense.

yes it makes sense. are you considering to implemet a second tab for deleted hidden mods?

Here is a simple comparison and easy fix to solve 2 problems. If you reduce the overall size of the Beta; you not only match it to classic's sizing you then again have room for a fifth tile.

My first example is in a reduced window size because I edit mod pages/articles while modding, so I have no need of full screen browser window. I just click between the open Nexus window and the Toolset for my game. But the general principle should still apply.

This is a 10% reduction to the default sizing. If a 10% reduce gives room from 3 -> 4 tiles on a reduced window size, then this should mean 4 -> 5 at full screen window.

SLuyqgF.jpg

Next Beta vs. Classic: mod tile to mod tile comparison. 

The titles are too large in beta even with the over all 10% reduction. I think it would help if the title size was still slightly reduced. However, I do like capping the title to 2 lines for uniformity, however, 1 line titles are of set by 2 lined titles. If 1 line titles could have a forced gap between tile and author name—there will be uniformity again.

Also to mention I for like the 5th time, images cropped/scaled in classic looks better than the gaps.

xGZ2Y34.jpg

After those and the other already mentioned issues that have been addressed and will be fixed; the mod tab display (and assuming future mod search display) could be considered reasonably comparable to classic enough. And anything else concerning mod tab display/mod search display would be general improvements and wish lists for overall site improvements even compared to classic.

However, overall colour theme of profiles and soon to be the entire Nexus site, that is still something that should be heavily considered. Though easily fixed. If you are implementing accounts to customize the site colours or personal CSS then ignore the following because that would be superior.

If you insist on turning all of Nexus into a dark mode site (over it's greyscale of classic), refrain from the darkest blacks, you can still use many shades of black to still have the feel but without the eye irritant of black background against white font.

It is not of course that noticeable on the mod/collections/edit tab pages if they are populated with content but the profile page it is too much. And the profile page I assume is the foundation of what mod pages and articles are going to look like (I could be wrong but I fear I am right).

All other night modes for other sites that I have seen do not use overly black backgrounds they use a black alternate hex code just slightly off set to blackest black. Please consider #0b0b0b, #0c0c0, #181818 or variants of.

grammar fix
  • Like 1

The color of the current Mods website is a medium-ish grey and is pretty easy on the eyes.  Especially when putting together a very detailed time-consuming mod page.  I'd probably go cross-eyed using the black pages used on the beta profile.  Thankfully, I just finished up the page for a mod I plan to soon release before any blackhole changes.

Is blackhole black easier for use on phones?  Personally, don't spend much time on my phone looking at nexus but I'm sure it gets a great deal of traffic otherwise there wouldn't be an emphasis on making the site phone-friendly.  Keeping that in mind, there should be a good balance that can accommodate modders using pc to create the work, and users that do a lot of browsing and downloading.

I think the larger spaces for the profiles probably accommodates phone usage which, for me, is ok.  But, I don't spend a lot of time on profiles except to look at other modders' work (not my own work).  I think if there are a lot of phone users browsing profiles, then that needs to be considered.  I can say, with what little time I've spend using my phone on Nexus, the tiles and views of the webpages are pretty difficult to deal with--hard to read.  

• Like 1

@NexBeth

I was around for the migration of when fandom/wikia migrated/updated planforms which included "portability" aka mobile view. Mobile view was actually different compare to PC view/full site view. Maybe Nexus should consider that.

See a modder to nexus is like an editor to a wiki, mobile means almost nothing to us, editing on mobile is a pain (aka you can't upload mods via mobile or set up your mod pages/articles easily). So editing UI. etc. is focused on those who provide the product may it be adding a mod or adding information to a wiki article. Once you make it too hard for us to stare at a screen for prolonged periods of time it affects their free work output. For nexus views via mobile still eventually result into view via PC for download, mobile view is more of a browsing "till I get the PC" activity.

I do not think reducing size in full view, actually affect mobile view (at least in the way you are thinking). Unless they actually haven't chosen a mobile view/PC view platform. Most sites are mobile friendly, or have a "full on mobile view" that is different from "PC view/full view".

For example, I can change the CSS for sizing of a wiki infobox to any size I want in PC view, but the mobile view (box/text/etc.) remains the same in mobile view. I think you can only have the CSS colour transcend between the two.

Long story short, you may be over worrying about accommodating mobile viewers who may get pretty much the same results; no matter what we custom tweaks get done for the full view/PC view of the site. I mean I can be wrong, but just from what I have experienced in other sites, this seems to be the case.

grammar fix