Texture appears black in the Construction Set but works fine in-game

49 minutes ago, IcelandicPsychotic said:

Strange. I didn't change the dimensions of the texture, I only added the tower-skull thing below the symbol of the Empire. Maybe the added images need to be in the power of two as well?

No, the resulting DDS must have power 2 dimensions. I mean, after you added your skull, you obviously merged all layers together again to export a DDS. Make sure that this process of merging didn't change the overall dimensions of the image. It can happen sometimes.

Out of curiosity I tested both claims made in topic I linked and I found both of them true: so texture dimensions must be power of two and also be exported with Generate Mip Maps option (I used Paint.Net). Without both conditions fulfilled I got black surface in CS.

The best mod program for textures is... Optimizer Textures

I think it fixes offsize problems but it definitely will generate mipmaps for the texture.  I've used it for all texture replacers for Oblivion, FO3, and FNV.  It will not recognize the new texture format used in Skyrim.

Edited by GamerRick

6 hours ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

Err... It isn't a graphics program though, is it? You can't make new designs with it. Unless I completely misread the description?

No.  It is a program that can batch fix (or downsize) textures for you. I should have said 'The best program for fixing already existing textures'.

I mostly use it to downsize textures that are way too big for the resolution I play at.  But I can see in its output text when it is adding mipmaps to them, removing unneeded alpha channels, and saving it in another DXT format.

To use it on one texture, put that texture in its own temporary directory and point the program to that directory.

Edited by GamerRick

9 minutes ago, GamerRick said:

No.  It is a program that can batch fix (or downsize) textures for you. I should have said 'The best program for fixing already existing textures'.

Right. Sorry, it was clear enough. I'm just having one of those days, it appears. 🙂

@GamerRick

Interesting program, however link to discussion in most recent comment which is discussing differences between DXT1-5 compressions raises some questions. Did you try using this program for textures using some sort of transparency or smooth gradiends of color, GameRick? How they did look like after?

@IcelandicPsychotic

Propably no need to use Paint.Net if the one you're using gives enough options how the resulting DDS file will be saved (pixel format, compression/transparency type etc).