Vortex v1.10.8 auto downloading Stardew Valley extension update | I don't have Stardew installed

Go to solution Solved by showler,

Vortex is downloading the compressed file named Vortex Extension Update - Stardew Valley v0.2.14 to my machine automatically. I do not have this game installed. Why would Vortex download updates to games I do not have installed?

Through Vortex I click to remove the extension. I am prompted to restart Vortex. When I do, the same Stardew Valley update is downloaded immediately.

Guidance to resolve, or an explanation, is appreciated. This is a minor issue...I'm more looking at it as a puzzle to figure out. Thanks in advance.

• Solution

Many game extensions are included as part of Vortex.  Most are hidden behind the "show bundled" button.  Some are visible because they are getting more frequent updates than usual.  If the extension keeps reinstalling itself that means it is considered "part of Vortex" rather than an optional extension.

Interesting.  Is there an explanation for why extensions for games are "part of Vortex" ?  I would like to understand how force downloaded game extensions, bundled\hidden\visible, became a thing in Vortex in the first place.

This has been explained in other similar threads in this forum, but TL:DR is that these are updates to core Vortex functionality which don't require you to reinstall the entire app. So you download a few KBs to update instead of 100+MB