How to stop Fallout 4 from updating (Steam/GOG/Xbox)

Pickysaurus

kinda confused by step 5 and 6 for steam. how do I tell what my current depot is and then what file on the page of 100 links is the ManifestID from SteamDB that I need to replace the one shown in my file?

Edited by alexdoscious

I have no idea what the heck is going on. I've read through this thread ten times, and everyone is talking about depots, changing this to that, etc. Can someone please explain in plain English how to do this? I really don't want to screw this up, but I can't even understand what people are talking about. The worst part is knowing that Steam will update my game any day now because the stupid thing auto-updates after a certain amount of time. Here's the biggest issue I'm having.

On the SteamDB page, under "Depots" find the row that matches your installed Depot.

I don't know how to check which one I installed. Also, I don't know what I need to do on here. All I see is a bunch of numbers and links. What am I supposed to click? What am I looking for? What am I supposed to do?

I swear, I haven't been this frustrated since I had to downgrade SSE myself because the person who made the Downgrader Patch never updated it.

First, thank you so much for all the diligence people are doing to manage all of this. I'm sure it's a headache and you're all doing great.

Second...I'm afraid I'm still too much of a newbie and I did something wrong. 

For starters, when I went to that steamdb link, all of my depots matched the manifestIDs listed there--does that mean my game already updated and borked?

I followed the rest of the instructions diligently just in case but F4SE tells me I'm using a newer version and I gotta go touch grass instead of playing Fallout 4. I tried running Fallout 4 from Steam and from my Vortex dashboard and neither of those worked, they just spin and crash. I suspect it updated already and now I'm stuck unless I follow the (even more daunting) instructions for rolling back.

Tldr: After finishing these steps, do I try to play the game as normal? If my manifestIDs matched that file already is that a good or bad thing?

Thanks so much in advance!

2 hours ago, alexdoscious said:

kinda confused by step 5 and 6 for steam. how do I tell what my current depot is and then what file on the page of 100 links is the ManifestID from SteamDB that I need to replace the one shown in my file?

You need to replace all of the manifest id numbers from the link. Just look at the installed depot number find it on the list of the steamdb and replace the manifest number in your acf with the ones from the link. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: you don't need to follow the links just highlight and copy them.

Edited by butthau5

still have update required after doing everything on the newer posts but the good old disconnect from internet then open steam so its in offline mode then open fallout 4 from vortex and after game is on you can reconnect your pc to the internet, kind of a hassle especially if youre testing mods and relaunching the game constantly but it works and is hard to screw up

Well, the instructions worked for me. So far Steam thinks it's up to date but time will tell. I set Steam offline a day before the update arrived, so it never ever thought there was an update. I also made the Manifests read-only. The only issue (if you can call it that) is that the main menu Creation Club news are disabled.

A really important thing is probably just that. Set the manifest(s) to read only, and always turn off Auto Updates. I use this method to do that for ALL my Steam games.

Dont forget about doing  the same for CK if you have it installed (appmanifest_1946160.acf). The SteamDB depository is here.

• Like 1

Yeah, the killer isn'  anything Bethesda's done, it's just Valve being absolute assholes a few years ago by removing the "Do NOT update this game" option so that every option left means "f*#@ you, you're getting this update, and if it breaks your 200-hr playthrough then that's your problem. We don't care because we've already got your money". Even Windows Home is better than that.

Bethesda could at least make it less bad though by actually doing literally any testing on their patches, which would also make them less frequent. When you've got limited time to play/mod as it is, having SKSE broken three times in one week just so Bethesda can sell a 3rd-rate copy of a mod we were already using ten years ago gets old really fast.

"Just fixing it" to not break SKSE in the first place would be utterly trivial. It's not like the way to do that is new technology or incomprehensible: the industry's been doing it since before 99% of the playerbase was born. It's not even a day's work, but let's be generous and say an intern could do it in a week. But we're not even worth that level of effort.  😞

I had success in changing the status from "Update Required" to "Play" in steam by deleting the line "DlcDownloads" including it's contents inside the brackets and also changed the "StageFlags" from 6 to 4 inside the .acf file.
Then hard restarted the steam app(right-click->exit on steam icon in system tray then oper the app again).

• Thanks 1