Should Settlement Building stay for Fallout 5?

Yep.

I do too.

Even got a huge mod for it (building pieces for vaults).

The system could use a few tweaks and improvements though.

...and how about some 'automatic' stuff. Like Sturges being the worst carpenter I've ever met. He keeps hammering at those walls, but no hole ever gets fixed ... 🤨

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Construction is the best solution in fo4. I chose fo4 solely because it has a bs connect point system. If fo4 didn't have a workshop, I would immediately go to ue4, ue5.But I wouldn’t want the settlers to build something themselves not according to my plan. Or... I would like to have a choice... The ability to disable the self-build settlement feature.

Edited by South8028
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, South8028 said:

Construction is the best solution in fo4. I chose fo4 solely because it has a bs connect point system. If fo4 didn't have a workshop, I would immediately go to ue4, ue5.But I wouldn’t want the settlers to build something themselves not according to my plan. Or... I would like to have a choice... The ability to disable the self-build settlement feature.

No, for settlers to build stuff themselves there is sim settlements.

But it would have been nice to see the "crazy bunch" at Sanctuary actually make some repairs and improvements to their house. (Which you can't demolish or fix yourself either)

• Like 1

I like construction but i will say this, we don't need 40 different vanilla settlements. I think 10-20 would be more appropriate.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RoNin1971 said:

No, for settlers to build stuff themselves there is sim settlements.

But it would have been nice to see the "crazy bunch" at Sanctuary actually make some repairs and improvements to their house. (Which you can't demolish or fix yourself either)

I would like to see a full demolition system in fo5. Knock down a door, use a grenade launcher to destroy a wall, break a window and throw a grenade into a room, set the house on fire and let it burn. And I would like such construction trigger elements with demolition animation. Probably, even at today’s level it is possible to implement this in the form of 3 sequences with different states of the model. Sequence for "live" statics, destruction animation, "dead" statics. It would be cool to build fortifications and arrange spectacular NPC battles in a destructible zone. I just don’t know how to implement different strengths of materials. For example, a concrete wall can withstand any number of bullets, but is dismantled into pieces by a grenade launcher. And so on. And if I had such a demolition system, I would dream that the settlers would then repair everything themselves. They play animations of hammers, hammer drills, coal grinders, inverter welding, etc. And after my next return to the settlement... Tadam... The settlement is intact again until the next raider invasion. Endless fun loop.

Edited by South8028

I really enjoy settlement building, so yes. However, in FO4, there are a lot of limitations. I use an unlimited budget mod, so I can build a fantastic settlement with every conceivable artifact from mods, but the settlers pay no attention. You can build a shack and throw down some sleeping bags, and it makes no difference to the NPCs. Whether you build a huge future-esqe settlement or some shacks, it makes no difference to them as long as they have enough amenities and a few turrets. Also, a large settlement with a lot of NPCs makes the settlement not function well; NPCs will just stand around doing nothing, in my experience. It's frustrating to build something that may take hours only to have NPCs just standing around like they're sleepwalking. In the vanilla game, you have a budget limit, yet BGS gives you some large locations like Starlight, but you can only build a few shacks, and before you know it, you've reached the budget limit. So Fallout 5 should have a much better and more powerful game engine that could handle a medieval castle and lots of maidens and knights. 

• Like 1

NO.

Fallout was / is not supposed to be SIM CITY.

You want sim city - go play that!

Here are my reasons:

- Beth did not think it through as they should have.

-- Auto Enemy Spawn in middle of settlement is not real. The reality is, they should have to go through the "FRONT" or "BACK" Door and good luck with that!

... They did not take into account of walls and weapons.

- The Wimpy settlers .. I often ask, " How did they live beyond puberty? They should have died, with how wimpy they are! "

- Leaving pretty much everything to the your NPC ... and the rest cannot even figure out how to eat!

.. NO - Beth failed big time on this ..

.. No - Don't tell me about MODS that "fix" this. That's the problem, Beth does a lousy job and then expect the Mod Community to save their butts.