Deprecated FOMods detected(1)

" Deprecated Fomods

Vortex detected 1 FOMODs which are using the deprecated Vortex plugin option. This option is no longer required and will cause the FOMODs to deploy incorrectly. Vortex will attempt to fix the FOMODs for you and it is recommended to inform the mod author to change his configuration file and remove the Vortex flag. Alternatively you can re-install any affected FOMODs manually and select the MO2 plugin option instead. "

Can someone explain this to me ?
- Which mod ?
- What Vortex plugin option exactly are we talking about ?
- We have to manually click the "fix" button for the file te be installed, else it will just "sit" there.
- Aren't all the mod authors brought up to date of this issue, because we need to inform the mod author about this
- What is a Vortex Flag ?
- What's the difference with the MO2 plugin option ?

This is all very confusing and unnecessary imho

cheers

-=DD=- 

[edit: fixed typo]

• 2 months later...

This would come up when you install a specific mod with a .esp/esm/esl plugin. What mod were you installing when this popped up? You should inform the author of that mod that you are seeing this message. The author may no longer be actively maintaining the mod though, as this issue was resolved quite a long time ago (multiple years ago). 

The message refers to the actual configuration file for the FOMOD installer (this is the installer that shows popups and asks you to select options when installing a mod). This is where the "Vortex flag" is set. 

The context is referring to the fact that older versions of the FOMOD installer would have options for installing plugin files specifically in Vortex vs. in Mod Organizer 2 mod manager. This is no longer necessary in newer versions of Vortex and the FOMOD installer. However, the mod that produced this message still has the configuration options (a.k.a. "flag") that differentiate the plugin install between Vortex and MO2. That is the reason for the message.

The message suggests to use the MO2 Plugin option as it is compatible with the current installation methods, whereas the old Vortex option can cause problems. Vortex *probably* was able to correct the installation automatically, but sometimes it is not able to correct the install for various reasons.

Nexus Mods makes announcements about these technical topics and changes to mod authors, but they don't always see the communication and make the changes needed (usually because they are no longer active in the community). 

It is certainly confusing, but the message is helpful in letting you know that there may be an issue with the mod and what to do about it. 

• Like 1

I know all that, I use FOMod all the time or create them for other mod authors.
I have never had a message saying I should change my FOMod because it's outdated. Ever.

And where is the MO2 way different from the Vortex way of using a FOMod ?
This : " the mod that produced this message still has the configuration options (a.k.a. "flag") that differentiate the plugin install between Vortex and MO2. " is Chinese to me.

" whereas the old Vortex option can cause problems. " What old Vortex option ? What problems specifically are we talking about ?
" but sometimes it is not able to correct the install for various reasons. " It would be a first to have a FOMod fail because of shenanigans like this, never encountered any of this.
" It is certainly confusing, but the message is helpful in letting you know that there may be an issue with the mod and what to do about it. 
" It sure is and no, it does not help at all, it confuses people even more.

What was the mod? You didn't really answer the one question I asked that could help to resolve this. 

I am not entirely sure how the old, deprecated installation methods differed, and it is not really relevant. 

To translate the Chinese for you - the FOMOD installer has a ModuleConfig.xml file that tells the installer what to do. It used to be necessary to add a special option (flag) to the file to install plugins in Vortex. This has been deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. One of the mods you installed had this flag in the XML file. That is what produced the message. 

Below is a screenshot of the FOMOD Creation Tool that shows where you would set Flags on the right hand side. I don't think that function is used much anymore. Someone made a FOMOD with a Flag set there that is deprecated.

Not sure what is confusing about this...

alt text

What was the mod? You didn't really answer the one question I asked that could help to resolve this. 

It happened three months ago, I can't remember, haven't done a lot of modding since

I am not entirely sure how the old, deprecated installation methods differed, and it is not really relevant. 

Oh but it IS relevant, because we didn't have that stupid ambiguous warning

To translate the Chinese for you [...]  Not sure what is confusing about this...

That's not confusing at all since I've used FOMods for years and all without a fancy automaton thingy, but what's interesting is the part : " It used to be necessary to add a special option (flag) to the file to install plugins in Vortex. This has been deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore."
You see, I didn't get that memo apparently. How was this information spread, because without this crucial part the whole warning is totally useless since the warning itself doesn't say anything about what is deprecated and what action people should undertake to make it work

Also, a flag in a FOMod installer can also be a sort of a switch to help you guide through the more bigger FOMod installers. The flags are not necessarily only for installing plugins

1 hour ago, DarkDominion said:

Also, a flag in a FOMod installer can also be a sort of a switch to help you guide through the more bigger FOMod installers. The flags are not necessarily only for installing plugins

Did I ever say that they are ONLY used for the deprecated purpose? No! 

Why are you posting support now for something that happened 3 months ago?

I suppose this warning is for sophisticated and knowledgeable users. You can just ignore it. 

On 8/26/2024 at 9:23 PM, ChemBoy1 said:

Did I ever say that they are ONLY used for the deprecated purpose?

It used to be necessary to add a special option (flag) to the file to install plugins in Vortex

Yes you did

"Why are you posting support now"

Sjeez, my first post was on the 25th of may and then after three months you showed up.
Please get your timing correct

I suppose this warning is for sophisticated and knowledgeable users. You can just ignore it. 

I think you should get off your high horse and leave me alone if you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the matter

• Haha 1