Anyone else having issues with Creations option freezing the game?

Citadel535

This just randomly started doing this, not aware of any changes. I just can't get into the creations option.

It just hangs Starfield on the main menu and freezes the program.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: Fixed it by deleting the creation  file ContentCatalog in %localappdata%\Starfield folder if anyone else encounters this. I also deleted pipeline cache which is rebuilt each time you launch the game.

The %localappdata% folder is typically located in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Starfield

Edit 2: Also, I think this is tied to Baka achievement disabler. Removing it lets it load the Creations section multiple times without freezing. It's a great mod that I enjoy using and unsure if the author can resolve the conflict, but at least we have a work around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Appdata is a hidden folder,  you need to open file explorer, go to View, Show, hidden files and folders, and make sure it's check. The files will be in:

C:\Users\YouUserName\Appdata\Local\Starfield.

Or, in the search bar (windows 10 or 11) type in:

%appdata%

And hit enter, that will open the appdata folder, and you will find starfield in there.

Edited by HeyYou
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Citadel and HeyYou!  Added this fix to all my Starfield Helpful Links topics - here as well as on Steam and AFK Mods, under Section 5 - General Troubleshooting.

hOW DO i OPEN THE FILE EXPLORER? 

Edit.... it is not there. 

I found the folder....all I have is the following files.: CreationRender_Checkpoints  files.... and bunch of GPU_Crash folfers. 

At the VERY bottom there is something called Pipeline Cache, and plugins.nmm.bak, as well as Plugins, and one that says temporaryFile_-InterruptedGPUCommand... 

.....I do not see this %AppData file. 

Edited by Apis4

File explore is the folder icon that should be on your taskbar.

appdata is a folder, not a file. Local\Starfield is in appdata folder.

If you have pipelinecache, you are likely in the correct folder. Folder path should show in file explorer...... Should be as listed above.

Another thing that will cause freezing of the game while going into Creations is having Steam set to offline mode. If you use offline mode to prevent unwanted game updates,  you can't use Creations. A better method is to set your appmanifest_1716740.acf file to "read only" status. That'll prevent unwanted updates, but still allow you to access Creations. 

I did not have Steam set to offline.... I just needed to make that folder visible.... deleted the Content Catalogue txt and voila, it worked.... THANK YOU ALL.