Nexus Mods Navigation updates

4 minutes ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

I understand your dilemma, and you can't please everyone. However, what we have now is overly confusing because the same ribbon is used on all pages. What do you think happens when you are looking at a particular mod page and click the X button? Oh, you are being taken to the home page of Nexus Mods... How is that even relevant? And how is it different from clicking the Nexus Mods site icon just to the left of it? When I am looking at a particular mod page, I *know* it is filtered per game, what's more, it is filtered down to this one particular mod! The X button makes no sense there at all. The same as the game button next to it. I would remove that whole button completely, game and X - that's what the Games drop down is for, right next to it. Combine them, essentially, as @Synthlight was suggesting above.

I completely understand your POV. For yourself and others who are used to browsing the site and understand this pattern, the close button seems unnecessary. But for people that don't realise that clicking into game will suddenly filter all content through this, the 'x' gives them an indicator that a temporary filter has been applied and can be dismissed (similar to how reddit show search is being filtered). It's easy to forget that some people don't realise this has happened and when they do, don't know that clicking the logo to go home dismisses it.

An improvement we're exploring would be that when you click the "x",  we keep you on the page you're viewing and remove the filter rather then navigate you back to the home page. There are some technical challenges around doing this that we're working through. 

I appreciate all the feedback here - it's a really tricky to try and improve a deeply established pattern, (we've spent a lot of time discussing this interaction!) - but from testing with people we feel that this is clearer overall.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mfPixel said:

Hi there, the "x" button is there as an indicator to show that content is now being filtered by the selected game, and gives an obvious way to clear this. This was not clear to everyone before and could be confusing as to why content and search results were being filtered.

How am I supposed to know what game it is being filtered by if it shows only 9 characters of the game name?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, mfPixel said:

I completely understand your POV. For yourself and others who are used to browsing the site and understand this pattern, the close button seems unnecessary. But for people that don't realise that clicking into game will suddenly filter all content through this, the 'x' gives them an indicator that a temporary filter has been applied and can be dismissed (similar to how reddit show search is being filtered). It's easy to forget that some people don't realise this has happened and when they do, don't know that clicking the logo to go home dismisses it.

An improvement we're exploring would be that when you click the "x",  we keep you on the page you're viewing and remove the filter rather then navigate you back to the home page. There are some technical challenges around doing this that we're working through. 

I appreciate all the feedback here - it's a really tricky to try and improve a deeply established pattern, (we've spent a lot of time discussing this interaction!) - but from testing with people we feel that this is clearer overall.

how do you guarantee the person that doesn't know its being filtered knows what the X is for? I didn't until I read here what your intention even was

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfPixel said:

An improvement we're exploring would be that when you click the "x",  we keep you on the page you're viewing and remove the filter rather then navigate you back to the home page.

That would make sense. Going back to the front page only results in frantically clicking the Back button because it is not what was intended.

39 minutes ago, Nypheena said:

how do you guarantee the person that doesn't know its being filtered knows what the X is for? I didn't until I read here what your intention even was

Agreed. If the intent of the abbreviated game button was to show filtering, it was lost on me. Besides, when you click Mods, Collections or Media drop-downs, you already have a large game image there, that makes it clear that you're looking at filtered searches. The tiny abbreviated button does not make it clear and it is entirely lost on mobile.

And yes, that button is tiny if your zoom factor is large or your screen is small.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mgamerz said:

How am I supposed to know what game it is being filtered by if it shows only 9 characters of the game name?

Hey — you can see a tooltip of the full game name on hover. We also added in the game image which should help as well.

• Sad 2

IMO tooltips are for learnability not for usability, and they are poor for accessibility. If I have to mouse over it to figure out what the information a visual element is telling me, why have it try to say the game name at all until moused over?

I am not a fan of this change. This is a step backwards for usability.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

Regarding the X button, on the "Mods" side it's mostly just there for consistency but if you look at the "Collections" or "User Profiles" part of the website you'll see how it's actually intended to work. 

Looking at collections, I don't see this behaving any differently, and that doesn't really change my suggestion. If you need a 'clear filters' button put it elsewhere; the "selected game" button would be so much better if the to were merged as I mentioned.
(And don't get me started on collections... I'm never there because they are useless to me. You can't create them in anything EXCEPT via vortex, an app I don't use, so I can't make them for users, nor is it possible to DL one except via vortex which I don't use so.... I'm never there.)

As for the "user profiles" part.... again, I see absolutely no difference. It looks like the exact same menu across the top of the screen. What do you mean by "you'll see how it's actually intended to work"? It seems to be no different, and I see nothing there that changes my suggestion.

When I first saw the 'X', I honestly thought it was going to remove it as a favorite. Not clear a filter. Older system was better.

Things lost from the older system I want back:
- Bigger icons.
- The ability to see the whole game name, not a tiny part of it.
- Very easy at-a-glance identification of where the drop down was.

If people can't tell they're looking at results for a specific game and that they can change that and go to a different game.... Don't cater to idiots.

PS: If by 'consistency' you mean the other sections having the game menu.... I'm not saying get rid of that altogether. I'm only saying replace the 'game' menu with the merged entry WHEN a game is selected. If one isn't, the 'game' button/menu would fill the same space.

PPS: If a 'clear filter' options is that needed.... why can't it be in the drop down instead?

PPPS: If you truly need the 'X' button, maybe put it on the left side of the game entry and the merged drop down button on the right?

• Like 2

In regards to the selected game indicator, a max-width property of 8rem (3cm/1.1inches) is incredibly tiny. Set the max width to something like 17rem.

This is what it looks like without that property / at 17rem:
image.thumb.png.6a1822862c6b87aa00c614569d1003c7.png

Obviously the search bar suffers due to the expansion of the game selector. In order to rectify that, just have the search expand in an animationy way while the game selection gets compressed.

Alternatives are:
- Replace the "X" in the game selection with a dropdown and merge it with the Games tab. I dont see a reason why these should be separate, and the "X" has the same functionality as the nexus logo next to it anyway.
- Delimit the navbar elements so that the nexus logo and game selection use the outer left, the tabs are located in the center and the other things are located in the outer right.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Feedback. ok. 

Would love the option to continue to use the old style. Fellas, it's OK to have different looks between the collections site, gross, and the regular site. I legit thought something was wrong with my chrome bowser because of an extension.

Edited by TheTraveler12
  • Like 3