Please Don't Eat Our Best Friends

UsernameWithA9

12 hours ago, UsernameWithA9 said:

Why did you even speak at all when I clearly requested in my initial post for folks to comment about their affinity for dogs? And again I ask: Why are you turning this into a debate?

I edited my response while you replied. Refresh the page to read it, second paragraph. I could post it here but context is important. Since you now want to ride the high horse about literacy.

3 minutes ago, UsernameWithA9 said:

I was contemplating this last night because of it's oddity and it became clear that the entire response was a passive-aggressive back-peddling of your first post of this thread. Not to mention you were being condescending as well. Ugh! The first post was all passive-aggressiveness too. You (singular) say you (singular) spoke in generalities, which may be true, but you (singular) did that so you (singular) would not have to face your real target, me (also singular). You were calling me out because I'm an American and you choose this opportunity to spout what now seems like rhetoric from the book you mentioned, Ugly American. Did you just copy/paste that from the book? And you think that just because someone is ignorant of an assumingly obscure book title that you read to be poorly educated? Your some kind of narcissist, aren't you?  You gave no indication that it was the title of a book so I relied on my intuitiveness to guide me. I've visited other countries during my military days and have been exposed to anti-American sentiments. That book title could just as easily have been spoken by that crew of Italian teenagers who bottle-bombed my friends and I from an apartment balcony as we passed drunkenly below during our liberty porting of Naples, Italy. You were calling me an Ugly American. Just admit it. Don't be passive-aggressive about it. I've been called much worse, by the way, so that insult didn't bother me. It was simply the perfect opportunity for me to call you pretentious and use the middle finger emoticon. I've been waiting months to use that! And yes, it was all I had hoped for. Quite satisfying actually.

Please don't post here again unless you have something positive to say about dogs.

Thanks for the back-up on that. It helps verify that my instincts about that user were correct. And bless you for your kindness towards your daft little Cockapoo and the rest of your animal clique.

Now, it's my turn to sigh a breath of relief that hopefully my thread can get back on track after the derailment attempt. To future readers: If you're considering posting something similar to what was previously posted, don't. Refer back to the first post of this thread and reread the parts where I explain the theme of this thread. This part: "I'd like this to become sort of a dog appreciation thread." and this part: "...encourage anyone to post whatever you like as long as it follows the theme of this thread."

You know, I find it amusingly ironic that someone who spoke so authoritatively about literacy and reading comprehension missed those parts. That's a real head scratcher. Or maybe he or she just had an agenda. I don't know. 

Anyways, cheers folks!

You, (singular) titled of this thread is "Please Don't Eat Our Best Friends".  Not "Please don't post pictures of dead dogs in markets for shock value".  Not "Please come show your affinity for dogs".  Not "dog appreciation thread".  The title YOU chose sets the theme of this thread, and that theme is the discouraging of; and the ridicule of, the consumption of dogs for protein.  Any post which endeavors to discuss the consumption of dogs as protein is within that theme.  So who are you (singular) lying too with your your self serving proclamation that your intent was to invite "folks to comment about their affinity for dogs"?  Yourself?  Or everyone else?

Now, if an intellectual discussion of YOUR  chosen topic is beyond your grasp, that's fine.  At least have the courtesy to respect those who do not share your perspective or your opinion, those who have a larger and more complex world view than you apparently have.  Stop the ad hominem attacks and the character assassination.  Such behavior only serves to make you appear jingoistic, narrow minded, bigoted, petty, childish and vindictive.

Or, is it your desire to create an echo chamber, a thread where only those who share your somewhat narrow world view are allowed to reply unmolested?  A place where only you and your opinion and beliefs matter?  A safe space for you to parade your hypocrisy and your elitism unchallenged?  If that is your intent, then tough; you ran into one old American who still believes that everyone has the right to speak in a public forum and to have their opinion heard. 

• Haha 1

I'm down to two dogs now. Kia, a pitbull/godonlyknowswhat mix succumbed to cancer the day after easter. She was 13 years old, and had been a wonderful companion almost all of those, she was about 8 months or so when we got her. Her previous owners took issue with her interest in eating their expensive birds...... and were just going to dump her on the side of the road somewhere.... When that came to light, I told my wife to just go get her, and bring her home. She had a good life, and just LOVED wandering about the property here.... She had some quirks though... For whatever reason, she HATED bicycles/motorcycles, and if one went by, she would go nuts, and try and chase it..... Never really understood that one.... And joggers? Holy smokes. I think there are several that needed a change of underwear after jogging nearby...... Kia was never outside unattended, and when I saw a jogger, I would tell them DON'T RUN.... Most would actually listen, and just walk calmly by, and Kia may run up to sniff, but, that was it. If they kept on jogging, or broke into a run, well, Kia would chase them down.... She never hurt anyone... (that would have been the end of her in any event...) But, it was always exciting...

Sophie was a rescue from a bad breeder. She was billed as a purebred Newfoundland, but, by the time she was four months old, it was obvious she was not a pure bred. (and having one brown eye, and one blue eye, kinda reinforced that..... 🙂 ) She has been an awesome companion. I don't think I have ever met a dog that was more calm, and accepting than Sophie. A trait of the breed is what my research tells me. (we had her mom for a couple weeks, she was just wandering the neighborhood, came over to play with the grandkids, and stayed...... grandkids loved her, they were like 5 and 8 at the time, and Zoe was HUGE.... my granddaughter had a blast riding her around the yard, and Zoe just didn't have a problem with it. She just wanted someone to play with....) Sophie is also 13 now, pushing 14 real hard. For a dog with a life expectancy of 10 years..... She is getting VERY grey, and has almost as much white hair, as black these days. But, still gets around under her own power, eats reliably, and doesn't do stuff she shouldn't in the house. She has slowed down a LOT in her old age, and she likes nothing better than lying in the sun in the dining room, and spending her days napping there. I get her outside at least once a day, so she can wander the yard, and sniff the sights. 😄  But, when she is ready to come back in, she'll be right by the door, and barking at me.....

Daisy is our latest addition. She was also a rescue. Seems her former owner wanted a puppy..... but, not entirely sure why.... (recovering addict, that wasn't recovering all that well....) the DAY she got her puppy, she tried to whack herself dead.... Former owner was a friend of one of the wifes 'rescue attempts' (long story there...) and asked the wife for a ride over there to check on her. Well, they got there, called the ambulance, and she was hauled off to the hospital. Her husband was at work, 30 miles away.... so, there was no one there to take care of the puppy.... the cop that came was just going to take her to the pound... so, the wife brought her home. "Just for a day or two, until whateverhernameis gets out of the hospital'.... Yep, that didn't happen. We were informed that the hospital had decided to keep her.... (mental ward....) for several weeks, to ensure she wasn't a danger to herself, or anyone else... Which meant, there wouldn't be anyone at their house for 12 to 14 hours a day, to tend to the puppy.... This was in January.... and it was STUPID cold out.... so, it simply wasn't possible to set her up outside.... Wife said she would find an alternate home for her... but, that was 15 months or more ago, so, don't see that happening. That, and after we had her a month, I just told her not to bother, Daisy had bonded with us, and shuffling her off to yet another new home just wouldn't be good for her. She was barely 12 weeks when we got her, and might have weighed all of three pounds. She was TINY. She spent a lot of time sleeping in laps. 😄 At least, for the first week or three.... then she turned into what I expected to be more 'puppy like'... Bouncing off the walls, chewing anything that didn't run away fast enough, (including me..... and she had SHARP teeth....) just generally doing puppy stuff. Training her to be a good 'house dog' was an exercise, but, she is way to smart for her own good, and figgered it out fairly quickly. We had her sleeping downstairs in a cage until we were reasonable assured she was potty trained, then she came upstairs with me, and the other dogs. MY plan was for her to have a bed on the floor, just like the other two.... (Sophie NEVER slept on the bed.... she simply didn't want to, Kia would when it was cold, she wanted a warm body to cuddle with. :D) Daisy wanted nothing to do with a bed on the floor, she wanted to sleep ON the bed, curled up next to me.... and that's where she still sleeps to this day. She may be on top of the blankets, or under them, depending on weather..... but, she HAS to be touching me at some point, even if it is just foot against my leg... If I move, she does too. She has way more energy than she knows what to do with, and for us old folks, probably not a good combo.... But, it is what it is, and we'll keep her around as long as she lives. She is a VERY happy dog, and just not a problem. For the most part. 😄

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ScytheBearer said:

You, (singular) titled of this thread is "Please Don't Eat Our Best Friends".  Not "Please don't post pictures of dead dogs in markets for shock value".  Not "Please come show your affinity for dogs".  Not "dog appreciation thread".  The title YOU chose sets the theme of this thread, and that theme is the discouraging of; and the ridicule of, the consumption of dogs for protein.  Any post which endeavors to discuss the consumption of dogs as protein is within that theme.  So who are you (singular) lying too with your your self serving proclamation that your intent was to invite "folks to comment about their affinity for dogs"?  Yourself?  Or everyone else?

Now, if an intellectual discussion of YOUR  chosen topic is beyond your grasp, that's fine.  At least have the courtesy to respect those who do not share your perspective or your opinion, those who have a larger and more complex world view than you apparently have.  Stop the ad hominem attacks and the character assassination.  Such behavior only serves to make you appear jingoistic, narrow minded, bigoted, petty, childish and vindictive.

Or, is it your desire to create an echo chamber, a thread where only those who share your somewhat narrow world view are allowed to reply unmolested?  A place where only you and your opinion and beliefs matter?  A safe space for you to parade your hypocrisy and your elitism unchallenged?  If that is your intent, then tough; you ran into one old American who still believes that everyone has the right to speak in a public forum and to have their opinion heard. 

You are the one that dragged this topic off in the realm of debate, with your holier-than-thou diatribe. You talk about reading comprehension, yet you entirely missed that part of his post apparently. Of course, this is standard behavior for you. You seem to believe that you are better, smarter, and morally superior to everyone else, and it shows in your writing style, and the tone of your response to almost everything you respond to. You claim you have better things to do? Well then, do us a favor, and go do them, and leave this thread in peace. Please.

• Thanks 1

My daft little cockerpoo is actually a mini poodle - the 'poo' half! She's the first dog I've had for almost 40 years and will probably be my last so I value her a great deal!

Just now, AlienSlof said:

My daft little cockerpoo is actually a mini poodle - the 'poo' half! She's the first dog I've had for almost 40 years and will probably be my last so I value her a great deal!

That may be your intention.... but not necessarily how it will actually work out. I had *intended* for Sophie and Kia to be our 'last dogs', we can all see how that worked out. 😄

Don't get me wrong here though, I LOVE Daisy as well, and wouldn't get rid of her even if the opportunity presented itself. She is part of the family now, one of my 'kids', you don't give away your kids. 😄

Indeed not! I say she will likely be my last as I will be well into my 70's if she lives a full poodle lifespan - which can be 18 years for some! I'm a grey-haired, retired oldie!

25 minutes ago, AlienSlof said:

Indeed not! I say she will likely be my last as I will be well into my 70's if she lives a full poodle lifespan - which can be 18 years for some! I'm a grey-haired, retired oldie!

My parents are both in their 90's... and show no real signs of slowing down. I am in my mid 60's, and don't plan on going anywhere any time soon. 😄 I have no idea how long Daisy will live... she IS a big dog, I think, around 75 pounds... Pitbull and Mastiff mix..... She doesn't *look* big to me.... but she sure weighs big. 😄

You will still be around for quite some time yet. 😄