The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I scrolled through the entire map, my brain hurts.

Also, my PC died, stupid electrical company pushed 500V through a 230V installation, fried the PSU. The rest of the components are alive (thank god for quality PSU) but I don't have a replacement PSU so I'm now using an 10 year old gaming PC - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2GHz with ASUS A8S-X, Radeon 5570, 1GB DDR-400 in single-channel (since it wasn't slow enough in dual-channel :rolleyes:) and a 40GB Seagate U Series 6. It's slow as sloth, those guys who say old systems are still fast enough for general use didn't try using this thing. :dry:

Worst thing is, the bloody TV is dead too, so I got nothing fun to do but run this old, noisy thing and play games on a SEGA Mega Drive 2 when I fiddle with it enough to connect it to a VGA PC monitor. :facepalm: Could try and overclock the Athlon though, FSB can go up to 300MHz so CPU should theoretically be able to hit 3GHz, should be a lot faster too. Maintaining a 50% overclock on 10 years old hardware and crappy low-end mobo... yeah, that should keep me busy until my PSU gets replaced. :happy:

Edited by Werne

That's why you go overkill with wattage when it comes to psu's, heck i bought a antec 1000 watt modular psu 3 years ago and its still working like a charm to this day. More wattage then you need is always good for longevity and overclocking. Its not always a good idea to have exact wattage required, my gigabyte windforce oc edition gtx780 ti was a good test of its quality when it required at least a 1000 watt psu.
Actually i remember when i bought it, i bought it the same time a bought the gtx480's when they came out, SLI certified, then 2 years later the gt9800.

Its been around for quite some time actually, fantastic psu, lasted this long so far. :dance: Its 9 years old :teehee:

Edited by Thor.

That's why you go overkill with wattage when it comes to psu's, heck i bought a antec 1000 watt modular psu 3 years ago and its still working like a charm to this day.

If you go overkill on wattage you get voltage ripple, that means your PSU lasts but it slowly kills your other components instead. :smile:

And you didn't even read what I wrote, did you? That didn't have anything to do with the PSU, but it did have something to do with an idiot that pushed 500V through my house's wiring and fried some things.

my gigabyte windforce oc edition gtx780 ti was a good test of its quality when it required at least a 1000 watt psu.

Seriously? You trust system requirements you read on the GPU box? *sigh* Talking about PCs all the time, I thought you actually know something about them, my bad.

Anyway, requirements are crap and your PSU wasn't even stressed in the slightest by a 780 Ti, that thing would be able to run on my PC as well if I were to keep it stock. GTX 780 Ti has a peak power draw of 298W during GPGPU workloads, ~223W when gaming, you can run them in SLI on an 850W PSU with your components. So much for "quality testing" of your PSU.

As a side note, the box of my 80W 7770 says it needs a 600W PSU when the card peaks at 87W, even in CF I was able to rock on a 550W PSU without overloading it.

Edited by Werne

It's funny, I understand the individual words in your spec talk, but together they make no sense whatsoever. :tongue:

You know, it doesn't actually surprise me at all, I doubt even Thor knows what I said. :laugh:

And now I wonder how much you'd understand if I were to talk about mosfets, voltage migration, IPC, VRMs, power phases, voltage rails, and stuff like that. :tongue:

Edited by Werne

I hate mondays... :dry:

123.gif.pagespeed.ce.nbNb-t8TP8.gif

http://i.imgur.com/uKxDFj3.png

It's funny, I understand the individual words in your spec talk, but together they make no sense whatsoever. :tongue:

You know, it doesn't actually surprise me at all, I doubt even Thor knows what I said. :laugh:

And now I wonder how much you'd understand if I were to talk about mosfets, voltage migration, IPC, VRMs, power phases, voltage rails, and stuff like that. :tongue:

I would understand that as much as I understand chemistry, physics and advanced mathematics... which is to say, not much.

So how come you got such a power spike? And isn't this something you could hold your energy supplier responsible for?

Guys have the power plan set up for the summer season, my city has ~110,000 residents during winter/spring/autumn but in summer that number climbs up to over 750,000 when tourists come along. Power demands climb linearly as well, so the city needs nearly 7x the power it does usually. If they don't have high output voltage, the voltage on HV transformers drops and then there are power outages throughout the city. Even with nearly 600V on the transformer the voltage still drops to 207-214V on my power outlet during summer, and the correct voltage should be 228-232V.

As for why the spike, they were testing their system yesterday in short surges (a 2s surge to check stability), and my house gets to bear the brunt of it since I'm the first guy on the power line (the neighborhood's HV transformer is next to my fence, the neighborhood consists of 42 houses and 20 hotels which need a lot of power). I wasn't at home to shut the fuses down so the high voltage spike killed everything it could.

Now I get to sue the electrical company, wait for 6 months for the court to even process it, another 3-6 months for the court to give a decision, and then I get refunded. Two months ago I got a refund from last year's power test which fried my wife's laptop while it was charging, and that's actually pretty fast for our justice system.

And that reminds me, I should really get a UPS, but they cost way too much. $250 for a half-decent (not decent, half-decent) 600W UPS is too damn much.

Edited by Werne