The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I have a very atypical Australian accent-very english. It seems to run in my family, as males related to me all seem to have the same sort of upper middle-ish class, Londoner sounding accent. It's funny because my grandfather is a rancher-from a town which normaly have a very "redneck" australian drawl, yet he has a voice like a wizard from an RPG.

I like any kind of English accent actually, just prefer the typical Brit one. :biggrin:

Typical Brit accent? What's that then? :tongue:

I like most Irish accents myself (excluding around Dublin and all of N. Ireland). Now they melt me.

I could fall in love with a slug if it sounded like it was from Tipperary.

I mean the standard England English one.

Are there more besides Scottish? :teehee:

Off the top of my head (based on "Brit" not English), and I'm only including obvious and very strong and noticeable regional accents here.

Some of these would genuinely have trouble even understanding each other's speech they're that far removed, and even have their own different WORDS for things in some instances.

- Scottish needs dividing, (Glaswegian is a lot stronger and more impenetrable than say Dundee).

- Welsh (Wales inc subdivision between at least North and South)

- Geordie (Newcastle although often used to describe accents as far away as Carlisle, much to the annoyance of Geordies)

- Brummie (Birmingham, often used to describe also Black Country such as Wolverhampton, but again they're actually different too)

- Scouse (Liverpool)

- Yorkshire

- West Country (around Bristol)

- London/Essex (actually several variants)

Well then.

I have no idea what those are, I only know the 'British Accent'. I don't hear much difference but I know that Scottish sounds different from the other English ones :biggrin:

I guess it's the London one? The one where there's an emphasis on vowels? I have no idea what I'm trying to say :biggrin:

Well then.

I have no idea what those are, I only know the 'British Accent'. I don't hear much difference but I know that Scottish sounds different from the other English ones :biggrin:

I guess it's the London one? The one where there's an emphasis on vowels? I have no idea what I'm trying to say :biggrin:

It's ok, I do know what you mean... just we do have some fantastic regional accents. You're unlikely to have heard most of them because to get work on tv or movies most people with a real regional accent tend to have to learn to speak the 'British' accent you know and love :biggrin:

What you mean is (a possibly slightly less posh sounding version of) received pronunciation