The last poster wins

TheCalliton

On topic of not getting why people are afraid of/do not understand X.

There are plenty of things that may seem logical to me, but other people not only have a different point of view but different stereotypes about that particular thing as well, so they will develop a totally X opinion of that thing that is most likely not true. In some situations thinking logically can get rid of the fear or not understanding. But people will most of the time hold onto their opinion and point of view.

Babies as an example aren't afraid of spiders, because they don't have these stereotyped stories in their heads. Poison, pain, death etc etc. Teach the baby/child that spiders are ok and it won't get arachnophobia ever.

All these documentaries about spider poison and deaths have made us paranoid. :biggrin:

In short:

Less stereotype bs = good for you

Funny you say that. I was deathly afraid of spiders and insects as a child, it was only through personal research I came to like them. And it was their anatomy that interested me most-they have, at face value, almost nothing in common with a human. They don't have muscles, or veins, or even blood-their heart is made of nerve tissue, and pumps haemolymph through the spider's body cavity. The haemolymph carries a respiratory protein, giving it a blood-like function, but a different form. The haemolymph itself is blue, thanks to it's concentration of copper. Their lungs are similarly different to ours, being open cavities on the spider's underside, filled with dozens, if not hundreds, of filaments. Some don't have any lungs or respiratory organs at all.

I was too and I'm sure my fear was influenced by something from the outside. I never seen a baby or toddler afraid of them.

I'm not really afraid of them now, they still make me uncomfortable though because I know barely anything about them. Most likely because I never actually held one or had much experience with them.

Yeah yeah, too much talk and I'm late for school.

Bye now. :biggrin:

In that case I recomend you go to a zoo, and sit a Tarantula down on your hand. It'll itch like crazy because of the claws, but they're totally benign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkSXdateyno&feature=related

Though it does depend on the species. There's hundred of species of tarantulas but two cardinal types; new and old world. New worlds(Such as Avicularias, Bird-Eaters and Mexican Red-Knees) are big, hairy, slow moving, and very gentle, as well as being easily frigthened. It's best just to leave them be, but they're handleable when need be. Old worlds(IE Cobalt Blues, Earth Tigers, Indian Ornamentals) are hairless, more slender, and are a helluva lot more dangerous. Some all are agressive, and they've got bigger fangs. Normaly you wouldn't dare touch one, since they'll whip around and hiss, but this guy somehow managed to get what is probably the most agressive of the agressive, a female cobalt, to sit on his hand. I salute him.

On an unrelated topic today I saw a video in which someone claimed to have taught a Monitor to obey voice commands. It was basically five minutes of "COME HERE! COME HERE! DAMMIT COME HERE! OVER HERE! NO THIS WAY! THIS WAAAY!" ending with the Monitor going to sleep despite continuing commands. Some pets can't be trained. Period.

Edited by Vindekarr