The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Python 2.7. I dunno why the uni wants us to use an older version

Quite simple, the only things using the new Python 3 I've seen so far are some of the latest Linux distros (like Ubuntu 12.10/13.04, Mint 14, Fedora 16-18, Debian still sticks with Py2 though). It's incompatible with 90% of the scripts written in Py2 which is rather widespread, it doesn't bring anything new worthy of mentioning and the performance is pretty much the same. I haven't seen it anywhere except on Linux so far.

Python 3 is easier to learn though, the only good thing about it.

Yeah, my friend is attending a different university and he's learning Python 3, and he says it's pretty easy. Of the two of us, I'm far more experienced in coding but he is finding it easy. O.o

That's because of the changes in Py3, it's easier to learn but brings complications to those who use Py2. Luckily, mostly everything uses Py2 so I still got time to learn it.

And it seems I was wrong about one thing, Py3's interpretation speed is 10% slower than Py2's, so the performance is actually worse. They do want to improve it but even though Python 3.3 is out, it's still slower. I guess they'll get around to it eventually. Don't know how I missed that but it does explain why the Unity shell in Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 loads slower than the one in 12.04.

Python 2.7. I dunno why the uni wants us to use an older version

Quite simple, the only things using the new Python 3 I've seen so far are some of the latest Linux distros (like Ubuntu 12.10/13.04, Mint 14, Fedora 16-18, Debian still sticks with Py2 though). It's incompatible with 90% of the scripts written in Py2 which is rather widespread, it doesn't bring anything new worthy of mentioning and the performance is pretty much the same. I haven't seen it anywhere except on Linux so far.

Python 3 is easier to learn though, the only good thing about it.

Yeah, my friend is attending a different university and he's learning Python 3, and he says it's pretty easy. Of the two of us, I'm far more experienced in coding but he is finding it easy. O.o

That's because of the changes in Py3, it's easier to learn but brings complications to those who use Py2. Luckily, mostly everything uses Py2 so I still got time to learn it.

And it seems I was wrong about one thing, Py3's interpretation speed is 10% slower than Py2's, so the performance is actually worse. They do want to improve it but even though Python 3.3 is out, it's still slower. I guess they'll get around to it eventually. Don't know how I missed that but it does explain why the Unity shell in Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 loads slower than the one in 12.04.

More people use Python 2? Hahahaha, I am one step ahead of my friend. :D

Funny story for you; so my big project for this week is Gran Turismo's Nurburgring 24 hour race, the single hardest race in it or virtually any other racing game, because it goes for a full 24 real-world hours, which absolutely thrashes the mechanical bits of your cars, tyres shred apart, fuel runs out, coolant boils and in my case I've got a persistent gremlin in the oil system, but as I type this I'm taking a break before entering the final 45 minutes.The funny part is, during the last hour, my roommate returned home bringing pizza; to pause the race I need to make it back to pit lane(the maintenance area) which I had just gone past, meaning that in order to get to the pizza while it was hot, I needed to do a full 25 kilometre Nurburgring lap. It just so happens that the lap I did was out of all the 168 I've done so far, was faster by over a second.

It turns out that pizza is an incredible motivating force, I'm thinking that they should instead of racing for trophies, have Formula One drivers instead race for pizza, they'd be unstoppable!

Footnote: god I hate this spellchecker, it keeps trying to change Turismo(literally meaning Tour/Touring in Italian) to moisture's, why, I will never know. Silly google!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-a8UME03m3hs/TujspRGu6wI/AAAAAAABFWo/NmQYY73KKjE/s640/Funny%252520Epic%252520Fail%252520Pictures%252520Part%25252010_18.jpg

@Vin. Granulations thats one more feat on your awesomeness list. it is hard to concentrate on to keep the car on track for 24h (even with pauses)

Meanwhile in Germany....

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/558136_10151586907798210_1944576787_n.jpg