The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Happy birthday Werne. Remote helicopters, eh? I have a story about remote helicopters for those interested in either a WTF story, or a giggle.

So when I was 12, I bought this... pathetically badly made toy helicopter. I mostly wanted the motor out of it since I was already into making things, decided to give it one flight just to see if it was any good(which I knew it, for that price, wasn't) As soon as I switched it on it started vibrating like a washing machine full of bricks, then when I tentatively let it spin up, the thing started spinning wildly on the spot-unfortunately the main rotor had enough forward angle to send it spinning in one vague direction, and the control range was so short that pretty much the moment I realised I had a rogue chopper, it was out of control and zooming across the park, out across the road, and head-first into someone's brick garden wall, mercifully breaking the rotor off.

One of those moments-and I've had many-where you're sooooo glad nobody was watching. When I finally caught up with it, I found out the tail rotor was spinning the wrong way-some fool had mounted it upside-down.

Edited by Vindekarr

Thanks guys! :smile:

Oh, and

So when I was 12, I bought this... pathetically badly made toy helicopter. I mostly wanted the motor out of it since I was already into making things, decided to give it one flight just to see if it was any good(which I knew it, for that price, wasn't) As soon as I switched it on it started vibrating like a washing machine full of bricks, then when I tentatively let it spin up, the thing started spinning wildly on the spot-unfortunately the main rotor had enough forward angle to send it spinning in one vague direction, and the control range was so short that pretty much the moment I realised I had a rogue chopper, it was out of control and zooming across the park, out across the road, and head-first into someone's brick garden wall, mercifully breaking the rotor off.

One of those moments-and I've had many-where you're sooooo glad nobody was watching. When I finally caught up with it, I found out the tail rotor was spinning the wrong way-some fool had mounted it upside-down.

You know, I was two years older than you when I made my own helicopter out of a spindle motor from an optical drive and a propeller from some toy plane I found, but I messed up while adapting a circuit from a remote car. The thing is, it didn't want to spin the motor until I push throttle to 1/2, then it would shoot up in the air at an incredible speed (enough to break the ceiling lamp :laugh:).

Then I came to a brilliant idea of launching it from an angle, thinking it would fly in a certain direction. It worked... mostly... It actually started doing barrel rolls and circled around, looked good, then it's incredible journey ended with the bloody thing slamming against my forehead before falling apart. :pinch:

It was fun, pain-inflicting but fun. Making stuff is always fun, smashing it against your head isn't though and I would advise against it. :wink:

Edited by Werne

Thanks guys. Gotta say, this wore me out. There was so many people and I don't even know half of them, I wonder where the hell did they come from? :blink: They were good though, perfectly nuts too, so they fit right in. :wink: