The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Isn't that the entire point of horror games? :tongue:

Don't mind a good horror game myself though. As long as it's cramped with things to kill and the Player gets a BFG to exterminate those things :devil:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/bfg_for_real.jpg

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on horror games. I don't need to play a video game to know what it's like to run in terror through a darkened building while a terrifying monster chases after me: a couple of weeks ago I had just that experience.

On a more serious note, I don't find games where you're running away from monsters very mentally stimulating or particularly challenging, and that means I get bored with them within a matter of minutes. It's just a matter of personality, taste and preference. I tend to gravitate towards technical, mentally challenging games with a lot of decision making and strategy, like racing sims, RTS and RPGs-I just don't find "run away from that thing + quick time events" especially interesting.

As for running away from a scary monster, it's a pretty funny story. So I normally get up at 5 AM on work days, which is pre-dawn in this part of the world. One morning it's raining hard and consequently, still pitch black outside. I'm heating seasoned mince from the night before in the frying pan for lunch, and manage to drop an eggflip(with meat juice all over it) right in front of Mikka, one of my dogs. Mikka wakes up and smells mince-I sometimes feed my dogs mince or meat, so she decides it must be feeding time and goes straight for me.

Now, Mikka is a very friendly, gentle dog, but there is an issue-tiny dogs think they're huge mastiffs, while Mikka on the other hand is a massive, and rather excitable yearish old half-Alsatian who thinks she's a toy poodle. Mikka comes charging towards me, knocks over the lamp which was the only light which was on and suddenly it's pitch black and I've got two-thousand pounds of domesticated timber-wolf bearing down on me with a goofy grin on it's face, so like a fool I grab my pan and run to the bench to try and get my lunch out of Mikka's considerable reach. Mikka piles into the back of me, knocks me over, and the pan ends up sliding across the floor and banging into Mikka's sister Jarno, causing even more chaos. Mikka forgets about the meat and starts licking the meat juice off me, and at which point my GF walks in and asks "what the bloody hell happened here?!"

Haha, that sounds like fun. Big dogs are the best, honestly. They're fun, powerful, and kind-hearted (when raised right). And around food... ugh, they are unstoppable if they really want it. Sounds like you resisted well enough though! :P

And you're right: it's weird how big dogs seem to think that they are smaller than they actually are. I mean, they're massive lumbering giants, but they won't hesitate to lean on you or plonk a heavy paw on you for attention.

We had this dog called Duke (Bandog x Neo Mastiff) who was massive, and yet he parked himself on you as if he was a puppy. When Cyclone Yasi went through, we were camped in the shed down the hill, and Duke decided halfway through the night that I would make a comfortable bed. I am lucky that I was not squashed.

:ninja:

Edit:

Screw mellow face, it looks like crap. :happy:

By the way guys, did anyone try playing Haunted Memories? I'm thinking about getting it (I'm a sucker for horror games) but I'm not sure if it's any good.

It's free isn't it? I think I saw it on Steam, but nope. Haven't tried it.

Edit edit: I'm going to try it. The description says it's a Slender game, which I don't like. Mostly because it's one of those things that the twelve year olds of the internet praise. "OMG SLANDOR MEN, YES!11!!"
Of course I haven't tried any of them, so maybe they are good. But meh.

Edited by K00L

As long as it's cramped with things to kill and the Player gets a BFG to exterminate those things

Which is why I like Left 4 Dead series - each chaper, and there's around 12 in L4D2 with all 3 DLCs, is actually a big massacre. One time I managed to shoot over 4000 zombies in 45 minutes in a a single chapter (The Passing). Though I hate the last part of The Passing, you have ~10 minutes to collect 10 gas canisters in order to re-fuel a generator (plus, Bill is dead) and if you fail to do it in that time, every single swarm features a Tank boss while new swarms are released every minute. I hate those muscly sons of a b**ches, I screwed up on the first run and took my sweet time - never again will I go slow.

But at least I liked the credits when I finished it - "4287 zombies were harmed in the making of this film." :laugh:

Edited by Werne

So I just tried that game. It runs pretty poorly on low settings (on my laptop) and has some weird visual effect that I can only describe as something similar to anaglyph 3D without red and cyan weird. What I said before isn't quite right. But it looks odd.
I also couldn't hear what the character was saying, and unless I missed it, there's no option specifically for voice audio.
I only played it for ten minutes, and already saw the monster thing two (three?) times. And it wasn't very scary. It just kind of stood around in different places. Hell, the grass that appeared on the corner of my screen when I backed up made me jump, but not the thing that's supposed to be scary.

Edit: It did get good ratings from other people though, so maybe it's just me.

Edit edit: Lowering the settings further it ran a tiny bit better, but then it was super dark, and you can't read any of the documents, etc if you lower the textures. And the effect I described earlier, is pretty close to anaglyph 3D actually. But yellow.
There seems to be a few directions you can go, and I have no idea where to go first.

Edited by K00L