The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Does anyone here know how to fix the annoying lag problem with a laptop plugged into a TV with an HDMI cable? There is a slight delay of about a ⅕ of a second between the laptop screen and the big screen - it is troublesome to use the mouse and play games with this delay.

Any suggestions?

I've tried that before, from what I understand is that when doing this you increase power consumption substantially which has a performance impact on the cpu and drains the electric, so if you do this often expect a hefty electric bill.

Does anyone here know how to fix the annoying lag problem with a laptop plugged into a TV with an HDMI cable? There is a slight delay of about a ⅕ of a second between the laptop screen and the big screen - it is troublesome to use the mouse and play games with this delay.

Any suggestions?

I don't think you can do it with a 650M, that thing is equivalent to Radeon 5570/6550 and GT 640 when it comes to performance and those, well... suck. That card of yours is designed to run an external monitor alone, not along with an integrated display.

The 650M doesn't have a very great bandwidth or VRAM to handle two monitors at the same time due to a large increase in pixels to be rendered. It lags for the same reason PS4 and XBone have problems with 1080p - too many pixels, and PS4/XBone have more powerful graphics units and much less pixels to render than your laptop. Add the TV's increase in response time (30ms on TV compared to 3-5ms on laptop monitor) along with a meakly laptop processor and you have a lagging clusterf***, which you may have noticed.

Screw it, i think i may just go Nvidia this time around, amd is just to popular right now. That tells you what here market share is like right now. Considering their video cards are flying off the shelves, I think they won the war this time.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125489

Nvidia doesn't have good onboard sound, so i may need to get a sound card, well anyways that was my plan to begin with.

Lucky for me i have tuns of room now thanks to the cooler master haf xb case.

Edited by Thor.

Well it's gone 12am so social convention dictates I must wish you a happy new year, even though we know one single year is never consistently happy so whats the point? Therefore, have another day tomorrow :smile:

Any suggestions?

I don't think you can do it with a 650M, that thing is equivalent to Radeon 5570/6550 and GT 640 when it comes to performance and those, well... suck. That card of yours is designed to run an external monitor alone, not along with an integrated display.

The 650M doesn't have a very great bandwidth or VRAM to handle two monitors at the same time due to a large increase in pixels to be rendered. It lags for the same reason PS4 and XBone have problems with 1080p - too many pixels, and PS4/XBone have more powerful graphics units and much less pixels to render than your laptop. Add the TV's increase in response time (30ms on TV compared to 3-5ms on laptop monitor) along with a meakly laptop processor and you have a lagging clusterf***, which you may have noticed.

Damn. Oh well, looks like I won't be using the TV then. It just seems odd that the laptop appears to be under no additional strain (there is no lag in the actual games, even the newer ones), just that there is a tiny delay from screen to screen.

Also, I'm not rendering the laptop screen with the TV's resolution (1920x1080), I'm fitting the laptop's resolution to the TV (1600x900) so there is no performance drop at all.

Edited by billyro