The last poster wins

TheCalliton

The basic and limits of the basic means to play HD content is a AMD Phenom 4x black edition with 4gb of ddr2, slapped together with a 9800gt. anything below that is a no go. Tested and tried in many machines, it runs on a HD tv no problem. The one thing the Phenom 4x black edition had going for it, it was more then capable back in the day.

We still use it as a HD media box to this day. High Quality Blu ray no problem. Anything below that you get frame skipping.

Edited by Thor.

Damn. Oh well, looks like I won't be using the TV then. It just seems odd that the laptop appears to be under no additional strain (there is no lag in the actual games, even the newer ones), just that there is a tiny delay from screen to screen.

It's because the graphics chip in your laptop is designed to run a projector, not an actual screen. A projector wouldn't lag behind since it doesn't have a crappy response time which only amplifies the lag.

Also, I'm not rendering the laptop screen with the TV's resolution (1920x1080), I'm fitting the laptop's resolution to the TV (1600x900) so there is no performance drop at all.

Maybe I didn't explain that well, let me rephrase:

Your laptop screen's resolution is 1600x900 which means that your card outputs 1,440,000 pixels to the display, that's what it's designed for. Add a second 1600x900 output and the card needs to push out 2,880,000 pixels. It doesn't actually need to render a second screen so the performance penalty is irrelevant when it comes to games, but since the card doesn't have the bandwidth to shovel out nearly 3 million pixels on two separate outputs, it refreshes the primary display then waits until it's ready to refresh the second one.

Couple that wait time with a 25ms slower response time from the TV itself, and you have lag. Not to mention that the TV's lag is not as pronounced when you have the TV as a separate monitor (like me, I have the TV hooked up to my HDMI output as a separate desktop) or alone, that doesn't amplify the feeling of lag from the TV's slow response since you don't have a faster monitor refreshing the same image.

By the way guys, happy new year.

I think I'll need to re-read that a few times before I can wrap my head around it, but I think I get the gist of it.

And happy new year. :)

I'm thinking of getting Borderlands 2, finally. Not sure if I should get the GOTY version ($40) or just the normal one ($17), though.

Are the DLCs worth it?

Absolutely. It's pretty much neccessary to have the full experience of the game. If you buy it on Steam, let me know. I'm a regular player, have a ton of experience (44 hours PC, about 220 on Xbox 360) and I'm always up for co-op - or advice for that matter. Borderlands 2 is a brilliant game, with excellent combat and a lot of A-grade humor. It's got a fairly severe early learning curve and tends to favour co-op unless you've got Raid gear, but other than that it's just about perfection. I'd give it a 10/10, and I don't say that very often.

I have everything Borderlands 2 has to offer on the ps3, its a brilliant game, and one of a kind. The story is fluid and ties in with the rest, no matter how crazy the circumstances is.

The game of the year i don't think comes with the latest Digistruct peak upgrade pack, for that lv 72 upgrade, and all of the small dlc to boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderlands_2

All the small dlc is under 5$ and its 1000000000% worth it. Its considered season 2, which original season 1 pass does not cover, which is in the game of the year edition.

If anything in the near future there will be another game of the year edition with the full season 1 and 2 passes.

Edited by Thor.

Well it's gone 12am so social convention dictates I must wish you a happy new year, even though we know one single year is never consistently happy so whats the point? Therefore, have another day tomorrow :smile:

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/3/2933/thumb_620x2000/newyears_2011.png

Survive a New Year to everyone! :tongue:

After 18 years, I think I'm getting the hang of this yearly survival thing! :laugh:

I'm thinking of getting Borderlands 2, finally. Not sure if I should get the GOTY version ($40) or just the normal one ($17), though.

Are the DLCs worth it?

Absolutely. It's pretty much neccessary to have the full experience of the game. If you buy it on Steam, let me know. I'm a regular player, have a ton of experience (44 hours PC, about 220 on Xbox 360) and I'm always up for co-op - or advice for that matter. Borderlands 2 is a brilliant game, with excellent combat and a lot of A-grade humor. It's got a fairly severe early learning curve and tends to favour co-op unless you've got Raid gear, but other than that it's just about perfection. I'd give it a 10/10, and I don't say that very often.

I bought the GOTY version and it's nearing the halfway mark on the download. It estimates that it will take 6 hours to complete so I don't think I'll be able to play tonight, but tomorrow, definitely! I'll be pretty noob-y though, so you'll have to put up with me if I do stupid stuff. :P

That's fine-I get the sense you're totally new to Borderlands though, so expect a major learning curve. Without spoilers, it's a pretty colourful and very rich fantasy world, with a staggering amount of content(about 140 hours to a playthrough) and an alarming amount of sidequests. Each of the DLCs itself is the size of a full game-I was doing Hammerlock's Hunt today and was astounded by just how much play it's got in it. Probably four hours main campaign, a well-crafted and challenging boss battle, and then about five-ten hours of sidequests and exploration.

Beyond the content Tsunami, the DLCs all end with an Epic Boss. Kill the Epic Boss, and you get an entire friggin' room filled with chests, which have their loot tabled skewed so as only to give the best gear available. And that's on top of the boss itself-every boss in Borderlands has a corresponding Legendary gun or equipment piece as a rare drop. The guns in Borderlands are Procedurally Generated from a selection of pre-fabricated parts. Legendary guns all have a special ability(like piercing shots or plasma ammo) and are generated from a special shortlist of the best high-tier parts, a bit like a modern sports racing car being hand made from exotic materials.

As a final note, my biggest advice to you is to pick your class very carefully. Classes aren't just skillsets-they're people, a bit like in Gauntlet or other older-gen RPGs. Each one has a vastly different playstyle-they're all good, but it's absolutely vital to find the one that suits your personality. Ask Thor, HoofHearted or me if you need advice-I think between us we've level-capped every single class atleast five times-I know I've level-capped two Mechromancers, a Siren, two Commandos and a Psycho in my time.

Cool, sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I was thinking about being the Commando the first time, but if the classes play differently, I'll have to look into it more carefully before I delve in. :)

Also, I heard that the loot was not instanced to each player, and that one player could "steal" another's epic loot. I can foresee anger management problems for myself down that road... :pinch: