The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Phobias aren't rational things, which makes overcoming them difficult. I used to be deathly afraid of spiders as a child. I literally couldn't sleep if there was a spider in the same room as me, and for a while I just went around squishing them, even though I felt awful for doing it.

In the end my inspiration for overcoming that fear actually came from a biography I read about a legendary Austrian racing driver called Nicki Lauda. Lauda's mindset isn't too different from mine: both very rational and logical, and reading about how Lauda brought himself back from his horrific accident did give me some tips about how to dismantle and dissect a fear, and learn to think my way through it, which worked for me.

What I did was learn about how to tame spiders, and subsequently I raised one. I'm still wary around them, but that's smart. Spiders aren't something to be irrationally afraid of but like all wild animals it's best to tread lightly around the ones that really can hurt you.

As for Lauda's story, he was a driver during Formula One's most dangerous age, the 1970s. In '76 he had an accident driving in the rain at the infamous Nurburgring. The impact knocked him out cold, and caused his car to burst into flames. He would have died then and there were it not for a trio of other drivers who pulled him out of the car. He nonetheless suffered horrific burns and at the time it was expected he would die in hospital, let alone return to racing.

And yet he did just that-he was back in the car only a few weeks later, but had struggled with confidence for some time after. Eventually he made himself confront that fear-the story goes he locked himself in a hotel room for six hours-whatever happened, he recovered sufficiently to win two more world championships and have a movie made about him.

SHocking discovery: E-ATX mobos won't fit in an ATX case.

I have to go home and make some changes to my case with a hacksaw.

Reminds me of a guy I know who bought a mATX case to put an ATX board in. He looked at the the size and thought it would fit, and it would, but he haven't thought about the fact that he needs to put a PSU somewhere as well. :laugh:

And my case can accommodate for an E-ATX motherboard, even though it's a standard ATX tower, due to the fact that I can move my PSU a few centimeter upwards to make room. But it would fit very, very snuggly.

Edited by Werne

SHocking discovery: E-ATX mobos won't fit in an ATX case.

Story of my work life.

Customer: Fit the thing! :wacko: :hurr:

Me: But sir, the thing won't fit. It's completely incompatible and was never intended to be fitted that way, and fitting a compatible other thing would do what you want, for cheaper. :armscrossed:

Customer: I'm sorry but due to my shear ignorance your reasoning goes completely over my empty head. FIT THE THING, NAOW!!!!! >:(

Me: Alright, but don't come crying to me when it blows up next week.

Customer, a week later: YOU FITTED THE THING AND IT BLEW UP A WEEK LATER! WAAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! :sad:

Me(in my head): ...aaaand that's what you get for ignoring reasoned, well-explained argument and wasting money on a more expensive, less effective device you wanted but didn't need. //picardfacepalm.jpg

Pfff

IT people here are bullcrap.

I probably said this already, but the guys where I bought my PC parts in offered me to build it for free, and then when I got home and turned it on I saw that only 2 cores were working out of 6. They forgot to turn the 6 cores on in BIOS.

"IT professionals"

That's the opposite experience to my local supplier, Scorpion.

Scorpion customer service is some of the best I've ever seen. You get the feeling that they might just actually care. An example would be when I did an update mid last year their technician assured me that my PSU would be sufficient. When the PSU did eventually blow, they listed the $250 PSU I'd bought as a warranty replacement part which saved me a bunch. When I asked them about that, the tech I spoke to said they couldn't really compete with bigger shops for prices, and so relied on repeat business and customer loyalty instead.

It's not the first time they've been unusually generous with a warranty or given free parts, either. Repairs are usually free if you coincide them with an upgrade of $90 or more, and if you buy any new parts they clean and test your PC as well. It's a heck of a shop and a lot of the local gamers swear by it. I don't know if they make them anymore, but they used to build their own computer, I had one a few years ago which was a fantastic little machine for the price. It had the same performance specifications as a competing Alienware machine but was $400 due to a no-frills case and no import or packaging.

Edited by Vindekarr

I hate wasps, I just got stung behind the ear. :pinch:

I love almost all animals, but draw the line at wasps. It's not even that I'm scared of them-I just can't bring myself to like them. It's not even the fact they have a painful sting-a Tarantula bite is a lot more painful and I like tarantulas enough to have kept them as pets. Rather, it's why they sting you. I've never encountered an animal I'd consider capable of malice other than humans and chimpanzees, but wasps come pretty close.

I'm allergic to wasp stings (hospital needed and quickly if I'm stung same as chili unfortunately), so I tend to stay away from them et al. Bees on the other hand I'm ok with and rarely have problems with bee stings.

I also react quite badly to mosquito and horse fly stings too :(