The last poster wins

TheCalliton

limited writes, there are no limited writes.

I think it's around 10,000 read/write cycles on the high-end ones nowadays, some 3,000-5,000 on cheaper ones.

I do want to buy an SSD at some point, but I'm still wary of the downsides: The lower storage space, the limited read/writes, and the price.

Meh, Linux uses RAM as HDD cache so I get a large speed increase on a hard drive with performance similar to an SSHD. Which is why a 3Gb/s SATA II drive is 1/2 the speed of a SATA III SSD on my PC while in theory an SSD should be 4-10x faster than a 6Gb/s SATA III drive.

Put simply, cache speed increase = read/write speed increase. If you manage to make a RAMDisk for HDD caching you'd get a speed boost for free. :thumbsup:

I do remember reading that top of the line SSDs are pretty much past the lifespan of top of the line HDDs by this point.

I just was browsing my hard drive with WinDirStat, and it looks like if I wanted to move the two most important directories (C:\Games and C:\Windows), it'd take around 300 gigabytes of capacity. So unless I drastically cut down my Steam library, it'd cost much more money than I have to spend on a hard drive.

Which would be a better directory to have on an SSD, games or Windows?

i have two ssd's, and they have increased latency and performance about 50% with my two 7950's...

Samsung is the way to go,

Edited by Thor.

Which would be a better directory to have on an SSD, games or Windows?

Windows. Having the OS on an SSD bring overall better responsiveness, boot time and OS performance with game loading times remaining the same. Having the games on an SSD would boost game loading times but the OS would still be the same sluggish piece of crap it always was.

i have two ssd's, and they have increased latency and performance about 50% with my two 7950's...

Bulls**t. A quad-SLI GTX Titan can't be bottlenecked by an IDE hard drive (tested personally for s**ts and giggles, game runs in RAM/VRAM after initialization and only loads additional data afterwards) and a SATA III drive manages to bottleneck a dual-CF 7950 on your machine. Having a lower framerate due to running a game from a hard drive is theoretically and practically impossible.

So plain and simple - you're talking bulls**t. :smile:

Edited by Werne

After looking at what would need to be done to convert my case to E-ATX, I caved and just decided on getting a new tower. I've picked out the Rosewill Armor-EVO, mostly because it's cheap and it looks like I can fix any problems it has.

I'm going to miss my current case, though. I like the collection of ridiculous hardware stickers I've amassed over the years; none of the components on the stickers are in the PC. Wonder if I could find a bulk set of stickers somewhere..

It's a Maximus V Formula. I was a bit daft when I got it because I didn't know about the differences between ATX and E-ATX. Hindsight: Should've gotten the Gene.

The CPU is an i5-3570. In the usual vein of my purchases, it was the cheapest decent quad-core I could find on eBay.