The last poster wins

TheCalliton

http://puu.sh/6A3CQ.jpg

I'm thinking that perhaps the blade is a little too shiny (especially at this angle in regards to the sun's location) and I might also make the grip leather a bit darker. Also, I need to shorten the hilt a bit, because in Oblivion it looks silly (due to the hands being so close together), even though in real life it makes sense (when the hands are further apart on the grip, you have more leverage which helps tremendously with your swing velocity).

The blade is a bit too shiny, some darkening on the specular map will do the trick.

You could also try and make the engravings on the cross guard darker (the ones that are protruded whiter) on the specular with blurry edges towards the edge of engraving, it'll give them an increased appearance of depth and will reflect light less (or more when it comes to protruded ones) like real metal engravings. Plus, they will be more pronounced in bright lighting. :thumbsup:

That's an outdated screenshot (you must have missed my newer one). This is the most recent screenshot:

http://puu.sh/6A6kD.jpg

I'm not really sure if I want to change the engravings as I've got them now, because they look nice in motion. I've set the metal properties to apply_highlight instead of apply_modulate which gives them a shine like the glass weapons, so it looks a bit different at varying camera angles. Perhaps I'll make a short video of the blade as it reflects light...

EDIT: Here's an animated .gif file that demonstrates it moving around. (It's only 500kb, so it shouldn't take too long to load.)

http://puu.sh/6B1rL.gif

Upon revision, I think you're right about the engravings, Werne. They need to be a bit more pronounced so they look more like engravings instead of silver paint. Also the blade might need to be even less shiny, but I'll wait for now.

More EDIT: I tried making the engravings a little more pronounced (on the normal map), but I didn't really like the way it looks. Maybe I'll just darken the engravings on the diffuse so it becomes a little more visible while in shadow.

http://puu.sh/6B45W.jpg

Sorry about all my mod talk: I got carried away!

Edited by billyro

Another cyclone for you, another heat-wave for me. I guess it wouldn't be Australia otherwise. Still, I'd take a heat wave anyday; they absolutely suck but atleast you can go about your normal business, even if you do have to give up some daily comforts.

Still, I probably won't feel like that tommorow. When it's more than 38 degrees, drinking Coffee becomes a bad idea, and going without coffee in those temperatures will probably turn me into some sort of troglodyte mutant. The trick to getting through uber-hot days in comfort is to watch what you drink; no coffee(ARRRGH!!!!!), no Red Bull(:(), and no coke. Basically what you're trying to avoid is sugar, because the amount of sugar in particularly coke means that in digesting the drink you'll lose more fluids/energy than you're putting in. What you want is water, beer and old-school soft drinks. Beer especially.

Yeah.

There's a race track near Melbourne called Phillip Island. It's a very famous race track; it's hosted international events for decades including one of the biggest races in the professional motorcycle championship, the Moto GP. What makes it significant to this story is, the track is built on a cliff edge, and when it's raining there's a particular corner(Siberia) where, legendarily, the rain falls up.

I've driven Phillip Island in real life; it's open to the public provided you've got the right licence, and it's actually true for the most part. The wind coming off Bass Straight is so brutally powerful that it blasts the rain upwards at about a 15 degree angle off horizontal and blasts it directly into your side windows. It's an amazing place; Melbourne may be bakingly hot all summer, but Phillip Island is so cold that it's home to Penguins. Yes. Frickin' PENGUINS.

http://www.phillipislandridedays.com.au/sb_cache/welcome/id/8/f/Phillip%20Island%20birds%20eye%20web.jpg

Of all the places I've raced, this is the best. It's very hard because a gravity and camber are against you-and it's usually torrential rain, but it sure is thrilling. Most of the corners are flat-out in fourth or fifth gear, and my GTR can hit over 220 KPH on the main straight. Driving it in any sort of performance car is an incredible experience.

Edited by Vindekarr